Community Forum

Unauthorized two year agreement

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Unauthorized two year agreement

I called in to discuss the Internet and TV rates that I had discussed with a service rep over the phone, 2 months ago because my bill had gone up. I was told that my bill would be adjusted to my original price. My last month bill was pretty low because the company applied the credit for the extra amount that I paid. However, for the next month, the amount was still greater than my agreed upon price. As the amount was not below my original price, I called today and I was told that I was signed up for a 2 year contract on 6/18/2015? 

No contract was ever discussed on my phone call 2 months ago. And the service rep (Name: Jessie and ID: PEJ) that I spoke to today, told me that I agreed to it "verbally". This is not true and I never agreed to any contract term. I would like the recording of my agreement if the above has any merit, which I know it doesn't because I would never sign up for a 2 year contract when I am about to leave the country in 13 months. 

I asked the rep to escalate this dispute immediately and provide me a copy of my "verbal agreement" to the 2 year contract. He declined to provide that copy and said I would need to go to the courts to get that from Comcast. Please advise if a legal course of action is the best route for all parties. I am appalled by your service and unethical means of retaining customers. 

Aditionally, I was told that I was emailed a copy of that agreement. Again, no email just went through all my emails and I never delete emails. I am really wondering how Comcast is going to try and prove this as my fault. 

New Poster

Re: Unauthorized two year agreement

I recently had a chat discussion with an agent who kept pushing and pushing and pushing for me to sign up for a Triple Play contract deal for a year.  The deal itself sounds good, just a few dollars than what we pay now to get everything we have now, plus phone service.  But the contract, no.  I was glad I asked if it was a contract.  We purposely chose what we have right now because it is not a contract plan.  We have our own VOIP home phone service that doesn't cost us anything monthly.  We are fine.  I kept saying that I was happy with not being in a contract and that I was not making any changes to a new plan without talking to my husband.  The agent kept saying things like "Oh I understand and think it's great you want to consult with your spouse.  Let me put this in the system today and service will be up and running immediately, and if you decide to cancel you have "such and such" number of days to do it.  Um, no, I just said I don't want a contract and don't want to get into one without talking to my husband.  Any changes would ONLY take place AFTER I talked to my husband and we both agreed, NOT before. 

I was being polite as I could be, until I finally had to say "NO."  It was amazing to me that the person kept trying to set it up every time I said "no, thank you. I don't want to get into a contract and don't want to make changes until I talk to my husband."  I felt like my words were going straight in one ear and out the other...only this was a chat.  After seeing that agent's persistence and INSISTANCE, it's like they're chomping at the bit so badly to make the sale that the second one bit of language could indicate that the customer is thinking about it, that they will put it in as a sale.  Thankfully that agent backed down as soon as I said "NO."  But needless to say, I wasn't given the option of doing a satisfaction survey that day.  I was really liking our Comcast service, but am now wondering what other providers we can use in our area.  Just with that conversation the other day and now some frustrations about a payment option that has been dropped from our region. 

Administrator

SFMB wrote:

I called in to discuss the Internet and TV rates that I had discussed with a service rep over the phone, 2 months ago because my bill had gone up. I was told that my bill would be adjusted to my original price. My last month bill was pretty low because the company applied the credit for the extra amount that I paid. However, for the next month, the amount was still greater than my agreed upon price. As the amount was not below my original price, I called today and I was told that I was signed up for a 2 year contract on 6/18/2015? 

No contract was ever discussed on my phone call 2 months ago. And the service rep (Name: Jessie and ID: PEJ) that I spoke to today, told me that I agreed to it "verbally". This is not true and I never agreed to any contract term. I would like the recording of my agreement if the above has any merit, which I know it doesn't because I would never sign up for a 2 year contract when I am about to leave the country in 13 months. 

I asked the rep to escalate this dispute immediately and provide me a copy of my "verbal agreement" to the 2 year contract. He declined to provide that copy and said I would need to go to the courts to get that from Comcast. Please advise if a legal course of action is the best route for all parties. I am appalled by your service and unethical means of retaining customers. 

Aditionally, I was told that I was emailed a copy of that agreement. Again, no email just went through all my emails and I never delete emails. I am really wondering how Comcast is going to try and prove this as my fault. 

I have reached out to you via private message, when you get a chance please review this. 

Frequent Visitor

Me too.  I never agreed to a contract, but on my account it says I did because I took their "offer" of a few additonal channels at 10 more a month.  Don't accept any of their "offers"!  Don't say yes to anything they say!  It is only a way to get you locked into something you don't want. 

Administrator

2bstumped wrote:

Me too.  I never agreed to a contract, but on my account it says I did because I took their "offer" of a few additonal channels at 10 more a month.  Don't accept any of their "offers"!  Don't say yes to anything they say!  It is only a way to get you locked into something you don't want. 

I apologize for the trouble you had with this. I checked your account and was able to see that we do have an agreement on record for you that was accepted. With agreements, they become valid by accepting through our third party verification system, mail or email confirmation. -FC 

Frequent Visitor

No, I never agreed to a contract.  That is what COMCAST does and why everyone is so unhappy with them.  They cook up contracts that were never agreed to or signed by anyone but COMCAST who just likes to add them anytime they want. 

Frequent Visitor

I also spoke with a representative just the other day expressing how unhappy I am with COMCAST.  I kept telling her over and over again....NO CONTRACTS.  NO CONTRACTS.  I hope they have that on file.  NO CONTRACTS for any reason, EVER!

Frequent Visitor

This has happened to many people I know including myself but I had it on paper from their salesman yet until I sent it via the BBB they insisted I had a digital contract. We need a class action brought against this company. I'm going back to directv. I wish Fios whos cables were buried on our street would give us service. I can't worry each month what will my bill be now.
Regular Visitor

I am also locked into a contract for two years that I did not agree to.

Admin1

Hi Cmcast-complaint -- I checked on your contract and it is showing that it was never accepted. I can have it removed and put you on a non-contract price. This will raise your current price by $10 as non-contracted prices are higher. If that's ok with you I will make this change. 

Regular Visitor

I have a few questions, first.

What changes as a result of removing the unauthorized contract? Am I able to cancel any or all of my Xfinity services freely, at no penalty at any time?

Also, why is my price going to increase as a result of removing my contract? My adapter prices have increased twice in a short time, and in addition to that my bill increased by $10 just recently. The price I was given at the start of this package was much lower than what it is today, and now you have me agree to accepting an additional $10 to my bill simply because my subscription should not be under contract? By correcting this error on Xfinity's part, why would I be penalized $10 monthly?

Frequent Visitor

Having gone through this I can tell you this is because contracted prices are less but about ten dollars. Also if you have no contract you can now take all that Comcast garbage and return it. I went back to DIRECTV. This contract scam is common at xfinity. If not for their billing dept. And salespeople who lie they would have a great product.
Admin1

By removing the contract you are free to do as you like with your services. There would be no penalty to make any changes. 

Contracts give you a lower price since you're making a commitment to stay with the company for the contract duration time. 

You're not being penalized for this. There is a contract price and there is a non-contract price. 

If you want the price you have now, you stay with the contract. If you want out of the contract, then the price goes up. 

You can't have it both ways where you get to pay the contract price without having one. 

Regular Visitor

Thank you for your response.

My point is your company offered me a price, and failed to address the contract terms or acquire the necessary agreement from myself. Xfinity has no basis to begin charging me an additional $10 when its their mess to begin with. They should honor the original price offered if they want to keep customers. It's false advertising otherwise. So after years of dealing with shady sales or customer service people at Comcast I'm pretty much at my limit with your company.

Please remove the contract that I never agreed to from my account. The extra $10 in Xfinity's pocket will not last long. Of that we can all be certain.

Also, please private message me with a case reference or confirmation number about the removal of any contract terms on my account so that when I call customer service they know I'm referring to this discussion here. When I called them an hour ago to confirm your response, they had no idea what I was talking about in reference to this forum or the e-mail alert I received when you, the admin, responded to my initial inquiry. Then they left me on hold, and soon after the call got dropped without hearing back from them.

Admin1

PM sent with requested information. 

New Poster

I am so frustrated.  I had the same thing happen.  I recently called to make a change in my service and was notified that I have time left on my commitment.   When I chose this service I specifically discussed with the agent not having an agreement and that was what I committed to.  I asked Comcst to prove it to me (since they record these converstaions).  They will not find any records indicating that I agreed to a commitment because I never did.

I hate this becuase I like the servrice ---I am interested in relocating my service to the new address but how can I trust ytyhem after I have been slammed with a contract I never agreed to.

Admin1

Hi patrickvaranek8 -- I reviewed your account in regards to this agreement. The agreement is not for your service package. It's for the premium channels you have. You could only get that discount with a contract agreement. You can make changes to your service without affecting that agreement as long as you are keeping TV service. 

New Poster

Thanks for the reply.  I 100% guarantee that when they offered me the premium channels there was not mention of the two year commitment.  I like the Comcast service but feel this has been a very deceptive practice and my belief was confirmed by seeing all of the others that have similar experiences.  

The service has been fast and reliable and your company should stand on your service as a selling point instead of deceptive and what should be illegal business practices of slamming contracts that customers did not agree to. Let me reiterate that I never agreed to a service contract.  Normally you record the legal part of the contract when service is finalized and you have NO RECORD of me agreeing to a two year commitment. 

Admin1

I can remove the contact however that would also remove the price you're getting for those channels. 

Admin1
Moved:

New Poster

Thank you!  

Would this serve as enough authorization to remove the contract and cancel the channels?  

New Poster

did you get my reponse to remove the contract and get rid of the channels?

Admin1

Yes, that serves as enough. I've been Out Of Office so I'm just now seeing this. There is a disconnect order for your account though. Have you decided to shut the account down instead? 

New Poster

I am having the same issue. I have been dealing with an "early termination fee" bill for going on 7  months now. I only signed up for a one year contract, and only when I went to turn in my equipment and cancel my account after a year did I find out I was apparently in a 2 year contract that I had agreed to verbally. This is completely false. I know I never agreed to a 2 year contract as I was only in my rental apartment for a year and would NEVER agree to that. I have spoken with 10 or so customer service representatives about this issue over the last 6 months and have gotten no where. To top it all off, the unpaid termination fee bill was reported on my credit which made it drop dramatically. I even have chat transcripts and documentation to prove my one year contract, but talking with customer service about it is a joke and nothing ever gets resolved. This is a dispicable business practice! 

Official Employee

Hi Lou16, I am happy to look into this for you and address your contract concerns. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me"?