Community Forum

Unauthorized credit inquiry

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Unauthorized credit inquiry

On 1/22/18 I went to my local Xfinity store to swap out my modem because it was dropping the signal and when I called in for information they said that I'd had it since 2015 and should swap it out.  I didn't add any new services, or change anything that would change my billing, although the csr did try to sell me the home alarm system, which I declined. This morning I received an alert that Comcast had done a credit inquiry on me.  There is no reason for them to have done this. I called customer support and they were not able to explain this inquiry.  I asked to be transferred to the fraud department and have been on hold for nearly an hour.  After reviewing these forums, I see that this has been a problem for many people. 

I need someone from Comcast to contact me and explain why this inquiry was initiated and provide information on how to get it removed. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Unauthorized credit inquiry

AGAIN keeps telling people that if they have a business reason, they don't need to inform you. This is not true, a HARD inquiry requires that the CSR ask the customer, and consent must be given. This is why the corporate employees keep going back and masking/removing the inquiries I believe.
Expert

@JLDOOBLY wrote:
AGAIN keeps telling people that if they have a business reason, they don't need to inform you. This is not true, a HARD inquiry requires that the CSR ask the customer, and consent must be given. This is why the corporate employees keep going back and masking/removing the inquiries I believe.

@Again is absolutely correct. Comcast does not need your authorization to pull your credit regarding a transaction that you initiated since they have a legitimate business need to do so. Nor do they have any obligation to notify you. A simple google search will verify this information. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

This is a line from Comcast/Xfinity's policy on Credit Screening ◦Prior to running credit check, the customer must be informed of credit check and give their consent as this is a hard inquiry on their credit report. **ALSO, after doing the search, it seems soft inquiries can be done, but that's it. HARD inquiries require consent, and it is also part of Comcast's own policy, so. Please Explain how I am wrong, considering these unauthorized pulls people are posting about are all HARD inquiries.
Regular Contributor

@JLDOOBLY wrote:
This is a line from Comcast/Xfinity's policy on Credit Screening ◦Prior to running credit check, the customer must be informed of credit check and give their consent as this is a hard inquiry on their credit report. **ALSO, after doing the search, it seems soft inquiries can be done, but that's it. HARD inquiries require consent, and it is also part of Comcast's own policy, so. Please Explain how I am wrong, considering these unauthorized pulls people are posting about are all HARD inquiries.

Maybe you should include a link where you found your incorrect information. 

Expert

@JLDOOBLY wrote:
This is a line from Comcast/Xfinity's policy on Credit Screening ◦Prior to running credit check, the customer must be informed of credit check and give their consent as this is a hard inquiry on their credit report. **ALSO, after doing the search, it seems soft inquiries can be done, but that's it. HARD inquiries require consent, and it is also part of Comcast's own policy, so. 

Thanks for the clarification. I believe you are correct and will alter my responses accordingly in the future. Thank you for taking the time to point out the error.  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi pelekini, 

Sorry for the experience you've had while trying to get this taken care of. I'd be more than happy to help look into this as well as see what we can do to have this removed. In order assist you, please send me a private message verifying your first and last name, street address including city state and zip code, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services.

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Administrator

All,

Just to clear up the confusion. The Comcast official credit inquiry policy is as follows:

"Our Right to Make Credit Inquiries. YOU AUTHORIZE US TO MAKE INQUIRIES AND TO RECEIVE INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CREDIT EXPERIENCE FROM OTHERS, TO ENTER THIS INFORMATION IN YOUR FILE, AND TO DISCLOSE THIS INFORMATION TO APPROPRIATE THIRD PARTIES FOR REASONABLE BUSINESS PURPOSES. We will not discriminate in the application of our credit inquiries and deposit policy on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, or marital status. Any risk assessments conducted by either us or by third party credit bureaus will be done in conformance with all applicable laws. We reserve the right to make credit inquiries even after having received a deposit from you with respect to our Services(s)."

You can find out more about this and other policies in our subscriber agreement found here:  https://www.xfinity.com/corporate/customers/policies/subscriberagreement

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.