Community Forum

Trying to charge me for my modem AGAIN

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Trying to charge me for my modem AGAIN

For the second time, Comcast is trying to charge me rental fees for a modem that I own.  The first time we realized they were doing it was in 2014.  I didn't go back to see how long they were doing it, but just contacted them to get it removed.  I provided them with information about the modem, including the serial number, and they bald-faced lie that the serial number indicates that they own it.  After months of trying to resolve it, they finally took it off (giving me a partial credit for the last month).  Now we just got notice that they're going to try this same BS again.  I contacted their customer service through chat, and the representative unhelpfully baldfaced lied about the serial number proving that they own it.   Needless to say, I'm a little angry.  How can we resolve this without my having to sue Comcast for fraud?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Trying to charge me for my modem AGAIN

Likely an automated letter generated by an audit.  It's happened to me three years running now. Comcast's Escallation Team tells me  that CSRs can change the rental fee, but not the equipment code, which is supposed to be done by a different department.  And apparently, this often isn't done, so the next audit automatically triggers "the letter".  But then, I was told the same thing the past couple of times.  I think something or someone is changing the equipment code back to Comcast owned.  When you call, insist that this time the equipment code gets changed to customer owned.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your response.  I had gathered as much when I looked at the other posts with the same problem.  I have the same letter, same date.  While I regret somewhat my angry tone, it feels like it's not a bug in Comcast's system, it's a feature.  I got the same response both times from their customer service that the serial number proved it was their modem, which, HELLO, I know is a lie because I purchased it.  In both cases it felt like Comcast was trying to put the onus on me to prove I bought it.  I can't help but think some executive had someone change all "owned" codes, and thinks most people won't notice or will back down because they can't find or tossed out their receipt or other proof that they own the modem.

Official Employee

Hello Randy_C, I show that we have addressed this issue and have submitted an equipment research ticket on your behalf to have this matter sorted out. Please allow 3-5 business days for the research to be completed, you will receive a call from our corporate office with our results. I will also reach back out to you to make sure this gets taken care of. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!