Community Forum

Still fighting over a $60 tech visit, rather frustrating.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Still fighting over a $60 tech visit, rather frustrating.

In mid-November I had a tech visit come out to replace my Comcast-owned DVR box that was malfunctioning. The tech came out and confirmed the box needed to be replaced, he swapped it out, and told me there would not be a charge.

Well, of course, a $60 charge appeared on my account for the next bill.

I called and was informed that I should not have been charged and that a credit would be added to my next billing cycle. It did not come, so I called again next month and was told the same thing - she gave me an "escalation ticket number" for reference. Over three months later and still no refund. I call back and this time the rep spent about 20 minutes trying to even find the charge and initially said I was never charged, saying she could not find my escalation number, and finally saying that "oh I see the refund was denied in December." So apparently it had been denied three months ago with no notification to me, and the two reps I had called since failed to mention that? She also tried to get me to sign up for the protection plan to "prevent incidents like this from happening again" and noted that I was charged because I didn't go to a service center or have the equipment mailed to me. Basically I was charged because the tech had to diagnose and replace the box (I diagnosed it and knew it needed to be swapped, and I could have swapped the box myself had I known there was a $60 charge otherwise...which I did not). This is the first I am hearing about the plan or that this wouldn't have been covered. To which she said she was sorry that I was not informed but there was nothing else I could do.

After the call I do some digging, and this is VERBATIM from one of the customer support pages:

"Comcast does not charge for service visits needed to repair Comcast-owned facilities or equipment rented to you by Comcast. Charges may apply for service visits when Comcast-owned facilities or equipment rented to you by Comcast are not the source of the problem with your service. For instance, you may incur a charge for a service visit by a technician to your home in order to diagnose and repair problems with the In-Home Wiring used with your XFINITY services, or for the diagnosis of issues relating to the connection between Customer Equipment and your XFINITY services (terms defined below)."

So this page explicitly states that I should not have been charged, and also that the customer service plan is for issues not related to Comcast rented equipment.

I call back and, trying to maintain my composure, I explain the issue again to another rep. She tells me that I am right that the charge was erroneous and that the protection plan does not cover rented equipment, but rather rented equipment is automatically covered. She said the credit/refund will appear on my next billing cycle (aka another month of waiting). I asked her to escalate it and give me a ticket number and she just gave me her name and operator ID instead.

So suffice to say I do not have a lot of faith that this credit will be applied, as it wasn't the two other times that I was told the same thing and had to wait a month.

Do I have any recourse? I'm locked into a contract for another year or so, but I feel like Comcast has breached the terms of this contract (given the statement on their own website that contradicts what I was told by the rep earlier today), thus making the contract void and me unable to cancel.

Also, to clarify, here is the timeline:

Mid-Nov: Tech comes to replace malfunctioning DVR box owned by Comcast. Says there will be no charge.
Late December: I see the erroneous $60 charge and call, am informed that credit will be applied to account for next billing cycle.

Late January: Still no credit, call and am told that I am owed the $60 and that the case has been escalated.

Today: Still no credit, am told by rep A that the credit was denied in December and that I have no recourse since I am on the hook for a tech visit for replacing non-functioning Comcast equipment. Am informed that I should sign up for the service protection plan to cover this.

Today: I read from the Comcast website that I am not supposed to be charged for having Comcast equipment swapped, and that the protection plan covers non-Comcast related problems.

Today: I call back, rep B tells me that I should not have been charged and am entitled to the $60 credit. Confirms that the protection plan does not apply to my situation. Says that the credit will be applied to next billing cycle (third time hearing this), does not offer to escalate.

Official Employee

Re: Still fighting over a $60 tech visit, rather frustrating.

Hi Rohkey, 

Sorry for the experience you've had while trying to get this charge removed. I'd be more than happy to review your account to see how I can help make this right for you. Can you please verify your first and last name, full street address, and the phone number or account number associated with your services in a private message? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.