Community Forum

Solar System Connection

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Solar System Connection

I am a "snow bird" and my Comcast account is in my second home in New Jersey. In December we has a solar system installed in our house but because of inspections and certifications it wasn't actually turned on until late January. The solar system has a transmitter, (called a "gateway") that was connected to my Comcast modem/router in December and was fully operational. This "gateway" transmitts data from the solar system so that the owner (me) and the system operator (Tesla) can see how it's performing "on line. This is important because I'm receiving money back from the State of New Jersey based on how much energy I am generating/saving.

We came down to Florida right after Christmas and we won't be back until mid-May. We put our Comcast accounts on a seasonal downgrade which will only last until March 31st (Comcast's rule, not my decision). After the solar system was turned on we found out that we were getting no information from the "gateway." I had my neighbor go into our house and check the "gateway." He advised that there were 2 red lights on it and the display said "No signal, no connection." I suspected the problem stemmed from placing my Comcast services of seasonal downgrade but when I called Comcast I couldn't get a straight answer from them other than the fact that the power was on a "low setting." I already knew that because Tesla had sent out a technician to make sure we didn't have a "gateway" that wasn't functioning properly. He confirmed that the "gateway" was fine and that the problem was the connection with the modem/router

The question is whether this is in fact the problem and if so, is there a way fix it without leaving my Comcast account of full service. It would cost me a little over $200 per month to do so.