Community Forum

Signed Up for Xfinity, But Comcast Business Won't Let Me Go

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Signed Up for Xfinity, But Comcast Business Won't Let Me Go

Went to the Xfinity store today, after they spent a while on the phone with Comcast Business, Xfinity agreed to sell me Xfinity service for my house. I got a great bundle with internet, tv, and home security.

Unfortunately I can't use any of it, yet. Because Comcast Business won't deactivate. I called them today and canceled my Comcast Business service. They even emailed me a document that I digitally signed, acknowledging that I was canceling Comcast Business. So technically Comcast Business is canceled right now.

But here's what's scary. Comcast Business told me it could take up to 60 days for their service to stop. The guy on the phone told me "it could be up to 60 days before your Xfinity service will work. If I was you, I would send Xfinity a copy of your signed cancellation form, and maybe that will speed up the process." 

At this very moment Comcast Business is still running in my house. Which means I can't activate my Xfinity TV service. When I call Xfinity, to see if I can activate, they don't understand that Comcast Business is still running here.

So I thought I'd make a forum post, explainging everything that happened, to see if someone at Comcast could help.

I also want to say, everyone I've talked to at Comcast has been nice, they just don't understand the situation I'm in. I also want to say that I'm not in a hurry, just hoping the TV service works by the Superbowl Smiley Happy 

Thanks for any help!

Regular Visitor

Re: Signed Up for Xfinity, But Comcast Business Won't Let Me Go

UPDATE: I had an idea. My current modem was programmed by Comcast Business, so maybe it literally can't receive Xfinity. So I'm going to buy an identical modem right now and see if the new modem will talk to Xfinity, since my current modem is programmed to talk to Comcast Business. 

Basically I have to do everyhting on my own, through trial & error, because techs on the phone are completely blown away by my situation. They've just never seen anything like this before Smiley Sad

Regular Visitor

Second Update: The new modem did not fix anything. However, this time, the Xfinity rep asked me for the MAC address, no one had ever asked for that before. I'm about to call Comcast Business AGAIN to see if they can relenquish the connection.

This is day 2 of my struggle.

Regular Visitor

Third Update: Comcast Business said entirely new cables must be run from "the node" to my house. The current cables are "business cables" and CANNOT conduct Xfinity. So all new cables must be run to my house to carry the Xfinity signal. So there's nothing I can do. I just have to wait for the technican to come out next week. What do you guys think? Will the technician be able to transition me over from Comcast Business to Xfinity? I hope so Smiley Happy PS - no suberbowl watching in this house Smiley Sad

Regular Visitor

Fourth Update: I contacted @comcastcares on Twitter and it was absolutely the best thing I could've done. If you're reading this thread, don't make a forum post, because obviously no one will reply to you. Instead contact comcast on Twitter. The comcast rep on Twitter told me:

1) My comcast business had not been turned off - that's right comcast business ignored my shutoff request, and the rep offered to shut it off that very moment.

2) The comcast rep told me there was nothing I could do on my end to activate xfinity. I would have to wait for the tech. Unfortunately the tech won't get here before the super bowl.

3) The comcast rep told me to message her on twitter the morning before the tech arrives. She's going to shut off my comcast business in the morning after she gets my message, and then, that afternoon when the tech arrives, he can activate xfinity. That way I'll expereince as little downtime as possible. 

Again, I learned all this from @comcastcares on Twitter. No one else really had any idea what was going. I'll post back on Monday evening and let you guys know if the tech gets xfinity working.