Community Forum

Self-Install Kit

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Self-Install Kit

Yesterday I received my upgraded modem self-installation kit via UPS.

The self-installation instructions were clear and easy to follow. I set it up and synced my devices within an hour and life was good.

I then followed the enclosed instructions to return my old modem in the same box and using the provided pre-paid address label. I had the option of taking it to my local Xfinity/Comcast retail store or a UPS Store. Because the UPS Store was closer I chose that option (big mistake).

Naturally, when I opened the box I had to remove the adhesive tape at the top to pull up the flaps and remove the equipment. Of course, upon doing so the tape lost its adhesive qualities and could not be reused to reseal the box before shipping the old modem back to Xfinity. But the literature I received with the modem explained that Xfinity has a contract with The UPS Stores to accept these packages and handle the proper packaging and shipping. I got the impression that I could confidently walk in and The UPS Store would basically take care of it for me (not so).

When I approached the clerk at the counter he could see that the top of the box was unsealed. He commented on that and I told him that I could not reuse the original tape because it would not stick anymore and I didn't have any other tape at home. The clerk proceeded to lecture me about how expensive this wide adhesive tape is and how the franchise owner is requiring Xfinity customers to pay $1.00 for the tape being used to reseal the top of the box. Immediately I felt like a real "problem child" rather than an appreciated customer. I explained that I did not have a dollar on me. He repeated how expensive a roll of tape is and how displeased the franchise owner is with this situation.

At that point, I replied that I'd just take the box over to the Xfinity retail store and let them ship it for me. He saw that I was displeased and then said that he'd make the exception this time and reseal the top of the box without charging me but in the future, I should adequately seal the box at home or be prepared to pay the dollar. I thanked him and walked out a bit embarrassed and completely disgusted.

I don't know if this situation has come up at other UPS Stores but to avoid this situation from occurring to others I'd like to suggest to not use The UPS Store or just return the equipment via the Xfinity retail store in your area. Another suggestion is that perhaps Xfinity could provide a strip of adhesive tape with the self-install kit so the customer can reseal the box at home and not have to be subjected to this type of pettiness.

Thank You!

Official Employee

Re: Self-Install Kit

Hello lowcarbs, that's not an interaction I would care for either. Some people just need to provide better customer service if you ask me. I haven't heard this from others using this method, with that said, you did the right thing just taking the box to the XFINITY Store. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Self-Install Kit

If you had read my comment more carefully you'd know that I did not have to travel to my local Xfinity store to return the old modem but rather I merely commented to the UPS Store clerk that I should have.

The UPS store clerk finally agreed to accept my package and use his own tape to reseal the box at no charge to me.

In the future please read my comments more thoroughly before replying to them. I go through great pains to put forth accuracy and honesty and do not appreciate someone giving my literary contributions a quick once-over.

This matter is now concluded and I'm going to use the toilet.