Community Forum

Phone being disconnected for exceeding 5000 long minute per month policy

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Phone being disconnected for exceeding 5000 long minute per month policy

HELP!   I have Comcast Residential Phone and Business lines.   Last month, I received a letter about exceeding the 5000 minute long distance usage policy for Comcast Residential.  I promptly called the number on the letter and was told that there was a new 5000 minute long distance usage policy for residential lines.  I was not informed of any conditions to remain a Comcast customer.  I talked to my husband that night and the next day, called Comcast to order another residential line.  I talked to Comcast Customer Service when I ordered the second residential line and asked if this would keep me from violating the 5000 minute policy.  She knew nothing about this policy but assured me that if I had two lines, I would receive double (10,000) long distance minutes.  She signed me up for the residential service.  Unfortunately, neither of my residential lines worked for calling the hospital I do dictation for from November 16 to 23.  I called Comcast daily, had them "escalate the problem several times and finally,  had Comcast come out here twice but to no avail.  Finally on November 21, I called and ordered a business line which was installed on November 23.  It also initially did not work but then Ruth Ann called and said that when she researched my account, she found that our lines were not provisioned correctly.  Once she did that, (about 10 minutes later) all of our residential and business lines worked.  I have been using the business number for my long distance usage since.

Now, today, November 30, I received a letter from Comcast stating that since I exceeded the 5000 minute long distance policy for residential usage again, our service is being discontinued as of 12/11/2012.  On further talking to Comcast Security, they tell me that my business line (which I just paid $124 to have installed plus other charges) will also be shut down.  I have called them three times tonight, to no avail.  They tell me that once a letter has been issued, there is no way to cancel the termination of service. 

Can anyone help me?  We have been Comcast customers for over 12 years (at this address alone) with a bundled packing including Internet, TV (including Showtime, HBO, sports channels) and phone lines.  When I talk to the Security Department, even though the initial letter that I received said Comcast would call and work with me, this was never done.   I got the initial letter telling me of the limitations and then approximately 20 days later, I get a notice that our phone service will be disconnected effective 12/11.

My husband works for Homeland Security and this phone number is on all his contact lists (up to and including Washington DC).   This is turning into a real nightmare..

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Phone being disconnected for exceeding 5000 long minute per month policy

It seems clear that Comcasts policy will not allow you to do what you want. I would be looking into other providers. 

Expert

I've contacted Comcast Corporate Customer Service on your behalf, you should hear from them early next week. They will either post in this thread or respond to you personally.

I understand you may have been fooled by the fact that Comcast calls their service "unlimited" when it really isn't. Comcast dealt with a class action lawsuit over the same thing with their internet service. It's deceptive and unethical.

With that said, you aren't using the service for residential use --you should have Business Class voice, which you've obviously tried to do.

The Comcast Security folks are abusive buffoons with no interest in helping you. I'd suggest that you ask the Comcast Corporate folks if they can help you establish/keep your Business Class account so you can remain a good customer and keep your phone number(s).

Please keep us posted.

I am not an employee.
Gold Problem Solver

I found this: 

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/VoiceServices.html

Why does Comcast set a normal residential use threshold on long distance calling for its Comcast Unlimited® plan when evaluating if service is being used for non-residential  purposes and what is that limit?

It is Comcast’s goal to deliver high quality, reliable voice service at an affordable price. As a result, Comcast has established a threshold of 5,000 minutes per month of long distance usage to cause it to look for calling patterns that are indicative of non-residential and mechanized use of the Service, such as auto-dialing, continuous or extensive call forwarding, telemarketing, fax broadcasting, fax blasting or other non-residential uses. This amount of long distance usage is more than 20 times higher than the average residential subscriber’s usage and the vast majority of our customers’ usage falls well below this threshold. The Policy does not prohibit use the Service for occasional, incidental business use, such as attending occasional conference calls from home, and it does not prohibit use of the standard call forwarding feature of the Service. 

How does Comcast determine whether a subscriber is in violation of the Policy?

Comcast uses various industry standard tools and techniques to ensure compliance with this Policy and the Subscriber Agreement. When an account exhibits long distance calling that exceeds the 5,000 minutes per month threshold, Comcast may review the calling patterns further. Comcast and its suppliers reserve the right at any time to review calling traffic patterns and volumes to identify, among other things: 1) the relative proportion of in-state, out-of-state, or international calling destinations; 2) excessive calls to the same destination telephone number, indicative of an automated call-forwarding device; 3) excessive inbound calls, indicative of business use, or 4) other data or statistics to help prevent abuse of the Service and to enforce the Policy. If the review reveals calling patterns that are indicative of mechanized or other non-residential use as described above, then Comcast may take the actions described below.

So much for the UNLIMITED plan since it is clear it IS limited. Unfortunately they think you are engaging in robo-dialing, telemarketing or whatever else they look for and "think" you may be doing. They have found you "guilty" of such things without first finding out why you exceed the monthly limit.

http://www.comcast.com/home-phone-service.html

Not only do you get reliable home phone service with the best call clarity, but you also get unlimited nationwide talk and text

There is nothing on the Voice page that mentions a limit. 

I also looked at the Voice deals and the terms and conditions for those deals. The conditions do not state there is a limit for Unlimited. 

A little over a year ago I had a falling out with AT&T who at the time was my phone provider. I cancelled AT&T and switched to Comcast digital voice. At no time was I told about the 5000 minute a month limit.

I chose the Unlimited plan because I have friends who live in Puerto Rico and can call them without incurring extra long distance charges. Comcast could decide I am "abusing" the system if I called them often enough to go over the limit.

To me it seems as if Comcast is engaging in false advertising.  They are advertising a voice plan that does not exist since there is a limit.

If they persist with cancelling your phone service find another provider and port your number over. Do this ASAP in case there are issues with getting the number ported.

Frequent Visitor

If you don't mind me asking, exactly how did you contact Corporate Service and who should I expect a call from?

Expert

The Experts on the forums can alert the forum administrators that a customer needs help. You can contact Corporate yourself by sending an email to: we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

I am not an employee.
Silver Problem Solver

in order to exceed that cap you have to spend over 3 hours a day on the phone each day per month, do you really do that?

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I really do that.   As I posted originally, I work from home here in Washington State for a hospital in Lancaster, California, which requires that I call the hospital number 40 to 50 hours per week to receive, transcribe and send dictation back to the physicians.

Kelly

Silver Problem Solver

you can straighten this out with comcast on Monday, you need business class service at your home.

Frequent Visitor

Once more into the foray, I have business class service with Comcast (installed on 11/23/2012) which they are also disconnecting due to failure to adhere to the acceptable use policy for residential.

I talked to the Security Department three different times last night to no avail.   They tell me that once a letter has been printed, there is no way to rescind the disconnect order.

Silver Problem Solver

Send the Email as Nerd suggested to:     we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Include account number/name, a link to this thread and a good contact number. (for Monday).

I got a call within a couple of hours of sending my Email.  (your mileage may vary).

Frequent Visitor

Already done but thanks for the suggestion.   I really appreciate all answers.

Gold Problem Solver

You can also file a complaint with the FCC for false advertising since the advertise UNLIMITED long distance which is not really UNLIMITED.

Frequent Visitor

Absolutely will.   I just received a call from Bryan of the Security Department, ID 380.   He is calling to make sure that I understand the letter that I received and just why my service is being terminated.  He also apologized (once again) for all the misinformation that I have received from Comcast over the past three weeks or so; however, unfortunately, it changes nothing with regards to my disconnect notice.

I had to ask him...then why exactly are you calling?   He said his department was sent a follow up notice to get back in touch with me. 

Expert

DId you get a response from Corporate?

I am not an employee.
Frequent Visitor

Basically yes.    They are still disconnecting our voice service on 12/11/2012.   I wrote to the Vice President of Customer Service 2 days ago and am awaiting a reply.   They talk about their "new and enhanced" customer care policy but I have yet to see it in action.  Thanks for the concern.

Kelly

Frequent Visitor

I had hopes after writing to Rick G..., Vice President of Customer Services on Thursday but have not heard one iota from him or anyone attached to his department.   Adios Comcast!

Gold Problem Solver

Did you file a complaint with the FCC for false advertising for an "unlimited" service that is in reality limited?

Frequent Visitor

Not yet....as soon as my service is disconnected on Tuesday, I will be filing.   I have filed a consumer complaints report because of the false advertising though.   However, it says in the very fine print that Comcast has the right to change the policy at any time as long as they post it on their policy page (which they have done) but I agree...how can you call something unlimited when it is not?

Gold Problem Solver

Bottom line is that it's labled, advertised and sold as  UNLIMITED long distance.   Clearly UNLIMITED long distance does not exist, therefore Comcast is engaging in false advertising.

Yes it mentioned on the policy page so what Comcast is saying is "sucker, we sold you an UNLIMITED plan and the joke is on you because that plan has a 5000 a month limit on long distance. You weren['t told about it when you signed up for it because we use UNLIMITED as a hook to get you to pay more for your service each month" .

Frequent Visitor

Okay....now Comcast has really done it.   They disconnected my phone (effective Friday) for exceeding their policy that no one knew about...now I have gotten a bill that is nearly $80 more than I was paying with the telephone because our features are no longer bundled.   We just switched to Direct TV and am moving the phone Friday.   As soon as their Internet is up and running, goodbye Comcast with no customer service.   Here is the good part, they told me to call the Loyalty Department (who I already spoke to once about my phone being disconnected)....