Community Forum

Overcharged for a Year, Comcast Will Only Refund for Past 60 Days

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Overcharged for a Year, Comcast Will Only Refund for Past 60 Days

Hi, I'm hoping someone can advise me with a problem.

I have my Comcast setup for automatic payment, and my significant other handles the bills, thus I never see them. However, I spotted a Comcast bill in the mail the other day, and noticed we were being charged for several fees for services we don't have or use.

Essentially we were being billed for a cable box we've never had (we have a cable card), and for Preferred cable, for which we've only had access to the channels in the Blast Plus Package. These charges somehow inexplicably showed up last July.

The first issue, being billed for a cable box I've never had, I'm told I will be contacted on June 20th about it. This seems a bit odd, since for my second issue (being charged for Preferred), I received a voicemail message last night saying I will only be refunded for the past 60 days.

So my ask is:

1) Why do I have to wait so long for the resolution for my first issue, considering the second one was handled in a day, and

2) It's obvious by looking at my billing history that these charges were somehow added spontaneously last July. With automatic payment, I trusted Comcast to do the right thing. Instead, they overbilled me for nearly a year. Why, then, will they only refund my money for the past 60 days? I would expect Comcast to recognize their error and do the stand up thing by refunding the amount they overcharged me for the past year. 

Oh, and after all this, I just saw my bill posted online. I'm still being overcharged -- my bill has not been adjusted yet.

I've been on chat with Comcast twice about this for the past two days, for nearly two hours total. So far it seems I won't be getting my time, or a significant portion of my money, back. I'm hoping someone here can provide some help or insight into how I can get this resolved. Thanks is advance! 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Overcharged for a Year, Comcast Will Only Refund for Past 60 Days

With equipment charges vs service charges ... service charges can be removed quickly, and backdated if needed (not sure on backdate length of time). With equipment, equipment can cost several hundred dollars, so they have to research it: find out where it came from, how the customer supposedly got it, etc. Simply removing the charge won't solve anything as the serial number would still be tied to the account and comcast would still be out several hundred dollars, plus if you later disconnected your account with the serial number still there, you would then be charged that several hundred dollars.

In regards to the only backdating 60 days thing, IMO that's more than I would expect. If Comcast was the money hungry company that everyone makes them out to be, then I would expect no backdate at all. I guess Comcast takes the stance of "you should check your bills and bank statements every so often to verify you are being billed correctly", which I do agree with myself, as you do have access to the comcast website, which shows you your last 1 year of bills, and I'm sure you have access to your bank account online as well. Comcast isn't perfect, mistakes do happen, but spotting those mistakes in a timely fashion is also important so it doesn't come back to bite you in the bum later.

Anyway, just to be clear, I am only a customer like you, so I'm not an employee just trying to make like harder or anything.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Overcharged for a Year, Comcast Will Only Refund for Past 60 Days

Comcast Agreement for Residential Services

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement.html

GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS

1. ACCEPTANCE OF THIS AGREEMENT
You will have accepted this Agreement and be bound by its terms if you use the Service(s) or otherwise indicate your affirmative acceptance of such terms.

2. CHARGES AND BILLINGS

i. Your Responsibilities Concerning Billing Questions. Subject to applicable law, if you intend to dispute a charge or request a billing credit, you must contact Comcast within sixty (60) days of the date on the bill. You waive any disputes or credits that you do not report within sixty (60) days.