Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Over-billing for returned equipment

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Over-billing for returned equipment

IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOU...PLEASE CALL COMCAST AND ASK THEM TO EXPLAIN EVERY LINE ITEM ON YOUR BILL.

From what I've read online, over-billing for non-existent equipment is such a common practice, it is either 1) a systemic problem, or 2) an accepted "mistake" to generate more profit.  Here's my version of this very common story:

- In April of 2015 I signed a two-year agreement for new service.

- I was told that I needed a new DVR and to return it - I took it to the Comcast store myself and got a receipt the following week.

- On my next bill (May 2015) I had two line items: "HD/DVR Converter" for $10.00 and "Additional Outlet HD/DVR" for $17.95  -  NOTE:  NO MENTION OF TWO DVRs.  I understood that one fee was for the DVR and the other was for the HD CONNECTION to that DVR.  It didn't make sense that this was for two DVRs from the wording.  THUS I HAD NO REASON TO QUESTION MY BILL and never thought about it.

- I read online recently about all of the billing for duplicate equipment.  So I called Comcast to clarify why I have two charges on my bill for my DVR.  Per other complaints, they've been billing be between $17.95 and $19.95 (yes, they raised the price of my non-existent DVR) for 14 months.

- Here's the essense of this broadly reported issue - Comcast considers this a "billing error" and due to their "policy" they only refund 4 months worth of overage.  So they are keeping $175.45 of my money because I didn't audit my bill after the first iteration.  Hmm.  They know every piece of equipment in my house electronically, they know the specific date I returned the DVR, yet somehow they don't have the capacity to audit my bill against the equipment I'm using.  And their wording on the bill is not clear.  And they don't have to refund past 4 months. 

No wonder people constantly talk about class-action, BBB, FTC, etc, etc in regards to this practice.  It is wrong to associate equipment over-charges that they can self-audit as a "billing issue" and keep any money charged past 4 months.

I have escalated from the phone rep to a supervisor.  I have emailed a VP.  Now I am posting here.  I hope to get resolution, otherwise, I'll join the ranks of BBB and FTC complainers and move to U-Verse (just came to my neighborhood). It isn't just the money, I can't stand unethical business practices.  I doubt it will be any different or better with ATT, but I can't just allow companies to take advantage of people like this.

Accepted Solutions
Admin1

Re: Over-billing for returned equipment

wmsims -- I reviewed your account and all credits have been issued for these equipment issues. Apologies for any inconvenience. 

All Replies
New Poster

Would you please share any email addresses to contact xfinity?  The same thing is happening to me.  They are billing me for nonexistent DVR outlets.  There seems to be no way to get this corrected.  I've been on the phone with them AT LEAST 20 times, spent 4 hours on the last chat session!  Are they this stupid?  I don't think so.  Must be intentional.

Admin1

wmsims -- I reviewed your account and all credits have been issued for these equipment issues. Apologies for any inconvenience. 

Admin1

williammelson -- I'm showing the same thing that you have extra charges for receivers that you don't have. Do you approximately when you returned them? 

New Poster

It was somewhat of a PITA, but all of my issues were resolved.  It took two phone calls, a posting here in this forum and an email to a service VP, but once it got to the right folks, I must admit the experience was unlike any other I've had with Comcast.  They were responsive, articulate, thorough and persistent.  Not words I've ever used in regards to Comcast before.  I was going to get things fixed and then try AT&T for internet and entertainment, but my experiences with AT&T at my vacation home and my daughters old cell phone service were no better (probably worse) than with the "old" Comcast.  So I'm going to stay with the "new" Comcast.  I'm impressed by their improved automation (being able to reset your own data modem without having to talk to a rep) and by the obvious client satisfaction training all of their reps have been through.  In my case, it was just beauracracy keeping things from getting resolved.  I stayed friendly and factual and kept escalating until I got to the folks that could break the beauracracy and get things fixed.

Kudos to the "new" Comcast.  I hope they keep getting better, I really don't want to go to AT&T - ever.

Frequent Visitor

LIke these cusotmers,I also have been over billed for years for returned equipment. The comcast location that I returned the cable box to is no longer there and I have no receipt. I returned the box after we had a home burglary and the tv it was hooked up to was stolen, therefore we had no  need for it.  Unfortunately I never noticed untill recently, (last year), that we had been being over billed. I put out a formal complaints various times and  asked to speak to supervisors without luck.  I know comcast can monitor when ane where the boxes are used and they always wanted serial numbers etc. Today I was issued another " ticket"

This is an unfair and illegal practice and CEO's should be ashamed. I will seek legal counsel now. Also discovered they had tried charging me for a mdem that I own! 

Admin1

janjanjan -- We've taken care of your modem issue. We have this listed as Customer Owned and have removed all charges. Your box issue is easily fixed too however we need you to tell us which boxes you do have so we can eliminate the one you don't. Your tickets keep getting denied because you won't tell us which serial numbers you have. If you can do this, we can fix this. 

Frequent Visitor

HI ComcastZach,

On 6/17/16 at 10:49 am I spoke with Phyllis  and I did give her the serial  numbers for the DVR and the 2 cable boxes. That was when she told me that the "equipment research team would resolve the issue by using those numbers" and gave me the ticket # of 036659386. They did not contact me like they were supposed to on July 1st. Therefore I phoned and spoke with Craig on 7/31 at 11:50 am and he created the new ticket due to an "invalid ticket". He said he had "verified the serial number of the box" . So frankly, I feel like I have contunued to get the comcast runaround.

Admin1

Unfortunately, neither ticket has the serial number to be removed listed. If you'd be willing to tell me which serial numbers you have, I can update this information and have the correct box removed. 

Frequent Visitor

The #'s are       SACBZXMFM,

SABSNFKJK

SACCNGGMT

WHAT IS THE AMOUNT THAT I WILL REIMBURSED FROM COMCAST?

Admin1

Thank you. That helps us eliminate the box you don't have. I have updated your tickets with the serial number that needs to be removed.

I reviewed all account notes dating back to Jan 1st 2015. There were no inquires made by you in regards to this box being returned until 6/17/2016. As this was the first day this was reported, we can stop all charges as of that date. I have added an additional month as a courtesy. Total reimbursement will be $29.85

Frequent Visitor

Hello Comcast Zach, 

I appreciate that you have you looked in to the issue but I am certain for a fact that your IT dept has been able to detect which boxes have been enabled over these years. In addition,the store that I returned the box to had closed a long time ago. The amount you are offering is unacceptable after so much time has passed. Please let me know the name of the person that I need to contact re this matter.

Admin1

I'm sorry that you feel that this is an unacceptable amount. Your account does not show where you made any attempt to get this box removed prior to 6/17. The store you returned the box to does not exist and you don't have any proof that you returned this box. Because of those circumstances, we are unable to issue anything further than 3 months worth of credit for this box. 

Frequent Visitor

Wow, so because a store doesnt exist anymore, there is no proof?

https://foursquare.com/v/comcast-service-center/4b5dd346f964a520eb6d29e3

The store was located in the Marquesa plaza in Naples, Florida 

I would appreciate at least 4- 6 months of credit. I am very disappointed that after many attmepts in 2015 and 2014 that I assumed Comcast would do the right thing and stopped keeping records of my own until this year. And as I said legal action will only make comcast's name be dragged through the media worse than it already is. More and more people are dumping it for  their own setups and/or Direct TV. I know that you are trying to help but its unacceptable.

Admin1

As stated, it's not just the store not existing. You don't have any proof that you returned it either and there's no record of you making any kind of attempt to have the box removed prior to 6/17. Due to that, we cannot honor any further credit. 

Frequent Visitor

Then in the meantime whilst I have contacted the FCC fraud divison, I will expect to see the 30 $ credit in the next statement as well as credit for the incorrect charges for the modem which I own.

Thank you for your attention to this matter

Admin1

You're welcome. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Over-billing for returned equipment and shut offs

Comcast clearly hates customers with hardships, indigency and poor people- dare I say- discriminate! ? Same for sprint. I've been long time customers of both. <br><br>I faxed over a dozen pages of documents- my social security disability for 2016, award notice for 2017, virtually the same meager amount- which barely pays my mortgage while I'm in chapter 13, thanks to the criminal mortgage company who's bank threw thousands of their custimers under the bus: W. tee F -which you can determine who- combination if their initials, which a letter in the middle giving a message- a sad situation for another time. <br>I also included my Mom's death certificate- she was living with me, and I was her primary caregiver for 10 years. This was to show the financial impact (not to mention a devastating emotional impact)- she helped with the bills. <br>I have been a long time customer- over 18 years of both Companies, always paid my bills on time. So now with this prolonged hardship, compounded by 2 chronic disabilities, i had been proactively seeking employment. Joining professional organizations that are free, researching job fairs, and cold calling. <br>I've asked both companies about working for them in any capacity just to pay the balances, but required me to apply formally. <br><br>However with no phone, internet/online, email ( and TV) service- I'm made to feel like I'm in a the dark ages. I asked how am I supposed to pay my bill with barely any income? What resources do you expect me to have with no job? There's no savings, no imvestments, plenty of sacrifices and scaling back. Using any and all forms of assistance. But not wanting to be on entitlements. I want to work !<br>But the resources they forced me to use- newspapers, signs, library's with limited online resources and no ability to put attachments in emails, never got to update my resumes or store them on cloud. Using PO box numbers, faxes and phone numbers as a response are methods nearly extinct. And forget social media. I'd have to love at the library!<br>This has only exacerbated the diabetes and severe to end stage Crohns Disease to where I have to be within earshot of the toilet. And I've been asked, somewhat discretely not to return to some homes of people holding networking events, one library, and public places- like I'm loitering!<br>Starbucks, the library, Dunkin' Donuts, friends and acquaintances are not my home. <br>I've even missed opportunities for contract work from headhunters who tried to contact me. <br>It's only added to a very depressed feeling- like file a claim on my estate? Can't even afford prescriptions to try to sustain some sense of quality of life. <br>Had Comcast and Sprint kept my services and accepted a payment plan which I took the incentive to do proactively, I may have been working by now! Plus, with being on disability, I would be part of the ticket to work plan- no matter what I earn, I still get up to 9 months of disability benefits. A great incentive to say, I am disABLEd- able and wanting to work- no need to discriminate.!<br><br>Surprising that these companies have no heart and no spine. They should not have given up on me! They could have been paid because I would have had the tools needed today for the job search!<br><br>Guess you'll just have to wait longer- I'm not turning chapter 13 into psalm 23, nor will I allow any company or anybody to attempt it.<br>Don't think you need bad publicity.
Tags (2)
Expert
Moved:

Your post was removed to a secure, inaccessible location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [personal identifying information]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

Official Employee
Moved: