Community Forum

Our drop from the utility pole has loose cable on the ground

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

Our drop from the utility pole has loose cable on the ground

We have a cable drop from a utility pole that is quite a ways from our house.  It, along with the medioce networking in our neighborhood, has given us numerous TV reception issues over the years.  This drop goes down the utility pole where it is connected to the line coming up the ground (ours is an underground run).  Because of issues in the past, Comcast added some extra cable and a coax connector 6-8 feet off the ground so they could test the line at this connector without the need to climb the pole.  They looped several yards of this coax on the pole in case they needed to cut the line and put new coax connectors on.

The issue at hand is a lot of this looped cable is lying on the ground next to the utility pole, which also happens to be right next to a driveway for a duplex.  The garbage bins for that duplex are right next to the pole, and my fear is someone is either going to trip over the loose cable or run over it with the garbage bins.  I tried using Comcast chat to find out who I needed to contact to get this cable re-secured off the ground, but after 30 minutes, I ended the session when the rep wanted to go through diagnostics and troubleshooting.  Stupid playbook. Smiley Sad

Does anyone have a direct contact to get this taken care of?  The TV reception is fine, with the occasional digital breakup, but we'll live with it since the main issues of the past (motion artifacts) have slowly disappeared over time.  Internet is testing at 180 Mbps for 150 Mbps service, so no complaints there.  I just don't want the loose cable on the ground to be a source of future issues for us, or worse, a liability for Comcast in the event someone trips over the loose cabling and hurts themselves.

Expert

Re: Our drop from the utility pole has loose cable on the ground

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

Regular Contributor

@Nerdburg wrote:

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

Thank you!

Official Employee

Hi MichaelCA, thank you for bringing this to our attention and I could help sending to the proper team to fix this Drop. Could you please send me a private message with your preferred contact number?

Thank you

Regular Contributor

@ComcastPhill

PM sent.  Thank you for the help.

Official Employee

Thank you MichaelCA, I have responded to your private message.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastPhill wrote:

Thank you MichaelCA, I have responded to your private message.

Information requested has been supplied via PM.

Official Employee

Thank you MichaelCA

Regular Contributor

Since Comcast did not show up today despite being told they would, I figured I would provide another data point for the techs if they ever decide to show up.  Below is a photo of the utiltiy pole and the cabling that leads underground to our house.  My apologies for the blown out sky, but I took the photo quickly thinking the cabling would be re-secured soon.  Silly me.

I highlighted in teal part of the cable path coming down the pole, looping around 7-8 feet off the ground where Comcast installed an inline coax connector, then continuing down to the ground where there are 4-5 loops of coax cable that fell in recent weeks, then back up in the air to a point about 10 feet up the pole where it goes into a black plastic tube that leads the coax underground.

It should be noted that this utility pole is not in front of our house, but across and down the street on the other side of the utility pole. Probably the longest run in the neighborhood.  Most are aerial runs.  Ours is underground.  The other two runs that go down pole have been replaced with shorter aerial runs on the other side of the street.

Anyone else have a warm fuzzy about this setup?

Utility Pole teal.jpg

Regular Contributor

Still waiting for Comcast to put the cables back up on the utility pole.

My wife and I have been noticing a bit more digital breakup (pixelization, etc.) during some of our TV watching the past week or so.  Not a lot, but a bit more than it has been in a while.

Usually when this happens I check the signal page on our cable modem.  For us, the two are usually related.  I hadn't checked the cable modem much in quite some time.  When they "upgraded" our neighborhood network the past couple of years, they *finally* got our downstream power levels locked at 0 dBmV (+/- 1 dBmV).  Prior to that, we used to experience signal drops of 3-10 dBmV from values that were almost always negative.  The hotter the outside temperatures, the more the signal strength dropped, many times into double-digit negative numbers.   With the upgrades, the downstream power levels barely budged.

Anyway, I see that our downstream power levels have slowly dropped to -4 dBmV on a day when the afternoon temperatures have peaked at around 64 degrees F.  I haven't seen it consistently this low in over two years.  The Internet service will remain stable at those levels, but I suspect we'll start to see more TV digital breakup should these numbers get any worse.  Here's hoping some of this is related to the portion of our drop at the utility pole that is not secured to the pole.