Community Forum

New Internet Setup

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

New Internet Setup

Just, Wow! 

Moved into new apartment.  Recieved new cable modem and after playing with it several hours, I determined that only one of the jacks in my aparment is live and its on the other side of the apartment from all my computers.  Called and spoke to Customer service for an hour trying to get Angel to understand I wanted someone to make the jack in the bedroom the live jack.  I'd do it myself, but the connections are not in my apartment and the apartment mgmt team informed me only xfinity could do this.  

First, Angel could not understand what was wrong with my Internet since she could see my modem.  I explained that it worked but I could not plug my PCs into it where it was located.  She maintained that this meant the wiring in my apartment was all bad.

Second. She told me I had to have someone come out and "run a new line" in the apartment.  I explained that it was already wired and that I just need someone to swap the cable at the termination point. I also asked for a supervisor because we had been on the phone 30 minutes just to get here.  She refused to transfer me.

Third. I had to pay $40 dollars for a "professional engineer" to come out and troubleshoot my wiring problem and then pay for any charges he deemed were not Comcast's fault.  I architect, build, and manage Datacenters, this amused me aggravating as this call was getting.  I told her I was not paying $40 dollars for a tech to come out an move a cable.  She told me I could dispute the charge.....with the technician.  Right.  Once again she refused to give me a Supervisor.

Forth, I had to agree, in writing, to pay $40 dollars before she would even give me appointment for said technician.  No, I cannot talk to a supervisor again and they will only tell me the same thing.

Fifth.  Agreed to the charge I can dispute later, can't get a tech out for another week.  Really?  Have to use my IPAD only for Internet since I am not running 100 ft of cat5 through the apartment to the modem for my PCs and TV.  Also means I don't get to work from home for now.   

Finally, asked for a credit for the weeks I cannot use the Internet.  She said the issues were the same thing and she told me I have to dispute that with the technician or call back and talk to someone else.  She won't do it.  I find it hard to believe that a technician has the power to issue service credits and access billing info.

I guess I should have spent the $65 dollars when i opened the account 3 weeks ago to have that technician come out and move the cable then and plug in my cat5 for me.  

Expert

Re: New Internet Setup

Oh boy. All you need is an outlet activated. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Smiley Sad

I've asked a Comcast corporate employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thank you.  I have still not heard anything from anyone else.

Valued Contributor

What do you mean by having the outlet 'activated'? It doesn't work because it isn't connected to the Comcast line coming in correct? So the outlet needs to be plugged up via a splitter to the incoming line right? I guess I don't understand why this is called activating, since it is a physical change needing to be made.
Also, I thought the apartment complex would be responsible for this, not comcast? (if that was the issue)
If I am way off here, please let me know. TY
Expert

For technical reasons, techs will disable any unused outlets. In OP's case, a tech would literally find the disconnected outlet and hook it up to a splitter so it's active. We'd call that "activating an outlet". I think Comcast charges an "additional outlet" fee or something like that, but I'm not 100% sure. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Appologize for my ealier post.  Seems I am a day off.  Ignore my rant.  

Regular Visitor

Well, its worse than I thought.

I finally got that "professional" to come out.  After waiting past the time he was supposed to show, I got an automated call telling me the tech was 'at my door and there was no answer'.  While trying to confirm that I wanted to actually keep my appointment, it disconnected.  Turns out the tech was not at my door.  In fact, not only was he not at my door, he was not at my building, and was clear across the parking lot at another.  I flagged him down.  He then stood at my door telling me that I, A, did not ever answer my door, and, B, cancelled the appointment.  This despite the fact that we were standing in my doorway.

After an tense call with his manager, he looked at my issue for five minutes, told me the box with the cable runs leading to the apartment were not labled, and could not help me.  Then he said he did not have access to the 'other' box??????  He said they would call to reschedule.

Spoke to a new rep and was able to explain that I just needed a port activated.  I also explained wha tthe last tech found.  They assured me it would be fixed this time.  of course I had to wait for my next appointment.  Meanwhile, I called the apartment mgt company, they confirmed that Comcast was under contract with them to provide all cabling for the complex and that they should be handling this.  they would call thier rep to assist and that the tech coming out should go talk to them.

2nd 'professional' tech shows up and has no idea why he's here!  I fill him in and tell him he needs to go talk to the mgmt office.  He instead goes out and looks at the cabling.  Since it took him a while, I thought he went to the office as instructed.  He did not.  He tells me this after he comes back in and tears apart the cabling for an hour.  He finds a new wiring issue.  He also wants to put new holes in my wall!  I kick him out to go see mgmt and after talking to them he comes back and now we all agree that Comcast needs to send a cabling crew to fix this and that he could not fix it anyway as he does not have 'cabling stuff'.  I talk to his manager Jason and he confirms a 'crew' needs to come out.

Can't schedule the new 'crew' out before my trip because Comcast refuses to work in my apartment with maint or the mgmt team without me.  Some BS about me being the homeowner, despite the fact that its an apartment and mgmt has the finaly say anyway.  I was assured that they would be out on Wednesday between 5-7pm, today, to fix this issue.  Monday comes, I get an automated call confirming my appt. for Tuesday at 9am!  I am not even in the state.  I transfer to an agent to ask whats going on and she has no idea.  Can't tell me why it changed, who did it, and I cannot get another appt at that time for yet another week!  after discussion, she mentions she has that slot on Tuesday, yesterday, and I change my travel plans back to VA to make it.

3rd tech shows up.  Notice I said tech and not crew?  They did not schedule the crew as promised.  And, yeah, this guy has no idea why he's there either.  I explain, and he agrees that a crew should have been dispatched but he would like to look at things anyway.  Why not?  He, at least,  had his 'cabling stuff' with him and put new ends on and toned wires and confirmed that the cable was bad.  He calls someone, tells me Comcast does not handle cabling, does not set up a new appt., and leaves.

So, to recap, it's been 1 month.  I still only have one jack that works.  I had to buy $100 worth of patch cables and rj45 couplers to get my TV and my machines running so I could do some work from home.   I have now taken two afternoons off, had several long calls with agents,  and had to reschedule a return trip.  I still have yet to get this resolved.

Highlighted
Admin1

Hi VJ3 -- I can help with your service issue. I can get in contact with local tech ops leadership to have them get this resolved for you. Please send me a PM with your name as it appears on your account and I'll get you taken care of.

Click my name (ComcastZach) and click Send A Message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.