Community Forum

Modem internet/phone.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Modem internet/phone.

So, this is a problem spanning internet and phone (land line) service.  Here is the background information.  Prior to Wednesday, May 2nd the service was working within its norms.  Some longer download times, but that is a lesser issue.  So comcast had offered to upgrade our phone and internet modem and we received the new equipment on 5.2.18.  This included a new filter attached to the outside cable.  Went through the setup of the equipment later in the evening and all seemed well.  Then the next morning I used the phone at the same time I was using the internet and the modem crashed.  

I reset the modem 4 times.  After each reset attempting to use the phone while the internet connection was running, it crashed.  I have no cell service where I live, so the phone is a critical need.  I do my own trading online, so the internet is also a critical need.  Ironically, the cable service is fine but we do not use it much during the day, and it is not a critical need.  My father is in the end stage of his cancer and although our plan is for him to pass away at home, I may run into a situation where I need to place a 911 call.  I am not making this up.

We pay over $3000 a year for our combined services.   I realize this is a public forum with other users attempting to help people in need.  We have a service tech coming out in the morning to hopefully resolve the issues.  I am not actually expecting anyone here to solve this.  My post tonight is a "RANT."  I want comcast to acknowledge that $3000 + dollars a year is no small sum.  

The content from comcast is great, but if the equipment does not work to the point it compromises safety and my ability to trade, I have to ask, why am I paying $3000 a year.  Accepting new equipment comes with the expectation that it will work properly.  I need this fixed tomorrow!

UPDATE TO THIS POST AS OF 5.4.18 @ 3:37 PM.      The tech came out this morning and made 3 adjustments to the outside wiring which so far has solved the problem.  In the past, we experienced television signal interference at times which I never reported.  That problem too seems to have been resolved.  ( I have a channel on that was notorious for having a garbled image.)  The tech made me aware that there might still be an issue (the house might need rewiring.) but as it turns out, I believe the issue is resolved.  This service visit produced better results than I expected or was concerned about (clear tv image and actually noticed faster loading times on the internet.) which was nice.  Thank you for the help!

Expert

Re: Modem internet/phone.

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

lol.  Turns out, the Verse sent the correct Tech to our home this morn.  I explained the problem and pointed out the two new changes.  We chatted awhile, me making it clear I can not go without the landline and he can not leave until he fixes it,  (no cell service in my area) and he fixed it.  He relocated the new filter so that it was not in front of the modem, but only in front of the various tv connections.  I guess its the cable boxes signals that can go "downline" and perhaps interfere with other customers.  He also replaced some old splitters and wiring.  Have always had some signal issues from time to time, but it was never a priority to call Comcast.  The new equipment caused the service call and I got more than I expected.

For the help you give others in the future, if you did not think of this their difficulties "could" be located outside of the house.  Our old modem was not to bothered with the original filter on the house and signals came and went as best they could through the wire.  Also, not having the new filter in front of the modem seemed to be key, according to the tech.

Thank you for your concern.  Hope these resolved issues of mine, help you help others resolve their issues.  Let people know to smile and not be caught up in their frustrations.  This tech seemed to have gone an extra mile for me.  Smiley Happy

Official Employee

Hi Xempt!

Thanks for reaching out and updating us on the resolution to your issues. I'm happy the technician was able to come out and isolate the cause of your issues as well as go above and beyond to make sure everything was resolved before leaving. If there's anything we can assist you with in the future, please reach out. We'd be more than happy to assist however we can. 

Thank you for being the BEST part of Comcast, take care!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!