Community Forum

Mistaken Cut-off of Services by Comcast at the 3-day Mark!!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Mistaken Cut-off of Services by Comcast at the 3-day Mark!!

About 3 weeks ago, I went to my local Comcast office and put in for a name change on my account.  Last Friday, 06/08/12, ALL of my services were cut off.  Someone got the order and thought it was for new service, so they cut everything off!  This happened during a time when I needed email/phone connection with family because of my elderly father's diminishing health & our concern with finding a place for him.  I've had Comcast for 3 years!  How could this happen?  Well, after 27 hours - during which I talked with about 10 different people that I had to repeat my whole story to (and 4 of whom promised to call me back and didn't), and about 20+ phone calls, I finally got my services back.  However, a whole new account number has been created.  Then, the following day, I try to get on the internet and it's wanting me to activate my service.  Well, that didn't go well, and my phone when down - dead air.  After HOURS of working with several people, I finally got the phone working.  But could they leave well enough alone?  I think not!!!  This morning, 06/11, I discover that I can't make phone calls out.  I can receive them, but when I try to make a call, I am being told, "Your call cannot be completed because your account is restricted."  WHAT??!!!  I've now got a ticket open (CR289087269), but it's been 8+ hours and still nothing - not even a callback.  All of this is totally unacceptable, and I'd better get a HUGE credit from Comcast for all the trouble and grief they have caused me.  I've worked a help desk before, and before retiring I was a Sr. Telecom Analyst.  I programmed entire phone systems, set up voice mail boxes, the whole nine yards.  I worked so close with the Bell companies I could feel them breathing down my neck.  I knew my stuff, and I never left a customer hanging.  I never assumed someone else was taking over.  Most of this is not the fault of the technicians we talk to on the phone.  They are under time crunches to do what they can and move onto the next customer.  Sorry, Comcast upper management, but you need to rethink how you treat your customers.  Don't be so naive as to think we don't know what's going on.  I WANT SOMEONE TO GET MY PHONE FIXED NOW!!!  In the words of Donald Porter, VP of British Airways, "Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong."  I have every right to be upset, angry, etc.  You broke it!  You fix it!  It only took a few seconds for someone to undo everything that was working perfectly simply because I made a name change.  Now take a few seconds to make it right!!!

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Mistaken Cut-off of Services by Comcast at the 3-day Mark!!

I've asked the Comcast administrators to look into this situation.

mady

Frequent Visitor

I appreciate that, however, as of this writing (5:30 am), I still cannot make calls.  I might also mention that I am disabled.  So, my phone is vital to my welfare, too.  I want management to take this seriously.  I also want them to know that although I love the Comcast services - when they're working - dealing with services issues really indicates a need for an overhaul in their customer service end.  One thing that I've discovered is, even though I was given a ticket on this particular issue, I never got a ticket on the initial problems.  A proper customer service department would issue a ticket to the customer, and also give them a number to call back for status.  No number is given, other than 1-800-266-2278.  Nowhere on any of the recordings does it say anything like, "If you're checking the status of an order / issue, please press ...."  This feature would help the customer avoid having to repeat the problem to every tech they come into contact with.  As big of a company as Comcast is, I don't understand why they can't streamline their customer service any better than it is.  There is definitely room for improvement.

Problem Solver

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Private Messages (PM’s)

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small white envelope  screenshot.108.jpg

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’.  A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public viewin the Forums.

The white envelope turns to yellow when you receive a PM.  screenshot.107.jpg

To open a PM to read it, double click on the yellow envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message.  You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post.  By default, Private Messages are enabled.  You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

Larry, my service was restored late Wednesday, 06/13/12, but only after I had contacted my attorney & let Comcast know this.  So, you are a week late in getting back to me.  I still plan on pursuing the issue of a credit, which I strongly feel entitled to for all the downtime and mental anguish I've been through.  Also, you didn't tell me how to post this under "private message" and I don't see anything on this page giving me instructions on how to do that.

Gold Problem Solver

Please send Larry the requested information. He may be able to help with the credit issue.

The best way to send him the pm: in his post click his name. His profile file will open. On the right hand side of the page click Send this user a private message.

Private Messages (PM’s)

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small white envelope screenshot.108.jpg

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The white envelope turns to yellow when you receive a PM. screenshot.107.jpg

To open a PM to read it, double click on the yellow envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry, but when I click on "ComcastLarry" and it takes me to his profile page, there is nothing on the right side that says "Send this user a private message."

Gold Problem Solver

If you click on ComcastLarry on the left side of his post, you will see this on the right side of the window.  Click on Send this User a private message.  Do you not see the blue link there?

1111.JPG

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

No, I do not see that when I click on "ComcastLarry".  I see it when I click on your "CCCarole".  However, one thing I am noticing is that "ComcastLarry" is red, whereas yours and everyone else's is blue.

Gold Problem Solver

RED indicates a Comcast employee authorized to post in the forum.

Name not in RED=customer.

Use the other method I mentioned to send a pm to Larry.

If you don't see Send this user a private message when you go to Larry's profile something is wacky.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for trying to help, but obviously something is whacky, and I know it's not me.

Frequent Visitor

Oh, how the saga continues!  This has become one of my worst nightmares!  I got my "new" bill yesterday, but have discovered that I can't get into it online because someone at Comcast noted my email address as doodkae@comcast.net instead of dodykae.  Ahhhh, there is more!  A few minutes after trying to log in, I receive an email letting me know that Comcast acknowledges my addition of another email address (cloud9memories).  You incompetent boobs!  I took great pains several weeks ago to have that removed because Ino longer use it.  I am fearful of even posting this because I'm afraid someone at Comcast will screw up my services again!  When is this bungling going to end?!!!

Most Valued Poster

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for that info, Bill!

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue.

I have two lines connected to my Comcast Voice account. Line 2 (my home office) works fine. Line 1 has dial tone, allows incoming calls, and allows me to make outgoing toll free calls, but if I try to make a standard outgoing call (with with and without using an area code), I get a female voice that says:

"Your call cannot be completed because your account is restricted. Please hang up and dial 611 for assistance."

Crazy part is that Googling that error message only bring up ONE result... THIS THREAD!

I have been escalated to Tier 2 support, but they have no idea what's going on. In fact, one of their support reps left a voicemail saying "Nothing seems to be wrong, so we're parking the ticket." So I called and asked them to re-open it. It's now Day 2 and we still can't make outgoing calls from our home phone... unless, of course, it's to toll free numbers.

Hoping someone who reads this thread can provide some insight. I also sent a PM to ComcastLarry, so hoping he can swoop in and save the day. Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

I really feel for you, Steve.  By the time my issues were resolved, I had 10 pages - typed - of either email correspondence or notes I'd made from phone conversations.  When my Comcast services are working they are the best!  However, if there are problems my gut wrenches because their technical support - or at least the system (if you can call it that) - is one of the worst I've ever dealt with.  And having worked in IT myself I have no qualms about stating that.  Good luck with your issue!  My only advice to you at this point is to constantly stay on them, calling frequently.  If they say someone will call you back within "X" amount of time, don't believe it.  They said that to me and it never happened.  Oh!  And document, document, document!  Take note of who you talked to and the date/time.  Unfortunately, the technicians are only as good as the training and tools provided to them, and Comcast is not a big promotor of either.  ComcastLarry was the biggest help to me.

Frequent Visitor

I'm also a professional computer geek, so when they wanted me to "rule out faulty handsets" by swapping the handsets on Line 1 and Line 2 to see if that would make any difference, I died a little on the inside...

This is clearly a problem at the switch somewhere. I have three service ticket numbers so far, and I'll just keep calling until they fix it.

What's crazy is that none of the techs have even HEARD of this problem! I wonder why it's not in some sort of internal knowledge base.

Frequent Visitor

And not sure if this is related or not, but my xfinity Caller ID app on my desktop isn't able to connect. I'm in front of my computer all day, so it would be great to have Caller ID on my screen. I'll troubleshoot that one later.

Frequent Visitor

Ok - just got more weird. Not only can I call toll free numbers, but I can also call "long distance" numbers. It seems my problem is limited only to "local" calls.

And I use the term "long distance" loosely - meaning what USED to be long distance when I was with a standard phone carrier.

For example, in the Seattle area, there are three area codes: 206, 425, 253. Any of the three area codes can call the 206 area code and it's considered a local call (which is why many people, including me, have cell phones with 206 area codes, so that it wasn't a long distance call to call them).

However, it's possible to have a 425->425 call that's local OR long distance, depending on the locations. Same deal with 253->253 calls. It's also possible to have some calls between 425 <-> 253 be either local or long distance, depending on the locations.

It sounds confusing, but everyone around here just instincively knows which suburbs are local calls and which ones are long distance. Smiley Happy Which makes my problem strange indeed, because it only seems to occur when I call "local" numbers.

I live in the 425 area code, and if I try to call my neighbor (or even call my Line 2 number) I get the error - regardless of whether I put a 1 in front of the area code or not, or even whether I dial an area code or not.

If I call a number in my same 425 area code that would traditionally be long distance, it goes through.

If I try to call another state (which is always "long distance"), it goes through.

If I try to call my parents who live in the next town over int he 253 area code ("local"), it doesn't go through.

So the error ONLY occurs when dialing numbers that are (for the phone company) "local" as opposed to "long distance." Even though I know Comcast doesn't have long distance, per se.

Yeah - problem is definitely at their switch.

Silver Problem Solver

Steve: You should start your own thread. Your issue is way different than the OP.

Frequent Visitor

You are absolutely right!  It's in the switch.  I was trying to go back through my 10- page documentation to see exactly what it was that they did to fix that problem when it happened to me, but I can't find it quickly.  I do recall, however, that it was a VERY SIMPLE fix in the switch.  I believe they had to go in and take LD restrictions off - or something to that effect.  I do remember talking with the tech in their switch, and he was aggravated that they had not listened to me when I suggested that it was a switch problem in the first place.  Do you remember when you had to pick a carrier, and if you didn't you couldn't make LD calls until they had a PIC code for you.  Well, it pretty much amounts to that.  So, yes, you would think that if it's happened to you and I, it's happened to others - of that I'm sure.  There just no accountability and obviously no one keeping track of recurring problems/solutions.

I, too, worked on phones/systems.  I was a Sr. Telecom Analyst.  I did programming, phone system installations, etc. on Siemens, Nortel and actually began my career on the old ROLM system.  Gosh, how I loved problem solving!  It just triggered something feisty in me!  LOL  At any rate, I have been retired since 2004, so I'm wayyyyy behind on the current technology.  But I can still pretty much talk to talk.

Frequent Visitor

So turns out my issue wasn't that different from the OP. Smiley Happy

My issue that stumped at least a dozen tech support personnel, and one Tier 2 support tech, was solved yesterday morning when I described to them what I'd uncovered in my own troubleshooting.

They had turned on "local dialing restrictions" on the switch (big surprise) on my account. So it could only call "long distance." Took 10 seconds to fix once I described it to the right tech.

Clearly, Comcast needs to put that error message in a KB somewhere.