Community Forum

Lansing Michigan blackout info?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Lansing Michigan blackout info?

I've been without cable or internet for about 5 days now. I'm curious about what's happening with fixing the problem. I keep hearing that its being worked on and no one knows when it'll be fixed. I just want some kind of status report. What's broken and what needs fixing before my service is running again? Any help would be appreciated.
Official Employee

Re: Lansing Michigan blackout info?

I don't have an estimated repair time for you, but I can see that most of your neighborhood is still out now.  We have been working with the power company to get areas restored, but there have been delays since we are basically 3rd in line to repair damaged lines.  The power company has priority, then the telephone (POTUS) lines are #2, then once both of those companies are done we are allowed to get our technicians in to work on our lines.

We have most of the Holt area up now and are trying to get the remaining areas back up as soon as we can.

Comcast Nick
Supervisor
Executive Customer Relations

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Hello Nick,

It's nice to know an actual human has said something about the Lansing outgage.

We're at 6.5 days now without net service.  TV signals are fine.  My wife has

repeatedly called, and either gotten hung up on, or gotten the "we' experencing

heavier than normal call volume..." with no recourse to talk to anyone.

Just now when I logged in here I saw a message that talked about service being

restored around 3am.  We've been seeing fantasy messages like this since

Christmas morning when our power came back on.

I do not see how a company could do a worse job of dealing with their

customers than the Lansing Comcast company is.  First let me sat that I

realize that Comcast shares space on the poles that BWL and other

electrical companies use, and you got hit very hard by the freakish conditions

that caused this massive ice storm.  Comcast also has a lower priority than

the electrical companies do, I'm sure, in terms of repairs.

But that does not excuse the incredibly bad response to the problem.  Hiding

behind messages rather than talking to people belies such a fundemental

lack of understanding how to communicate that is staggering.

The fantasy service restoration messages have been useless, and now, completely

aggravating.  After the fourth or fifth message it should have been obvious that

conditions were bad enough that any estimate of anything is useless and

treats the customer as if they were mindless sheep.

You have blown it, completely.  I have never been impressed with the net

service, and Comcasts response to this crisis has been equally vapid.

Hint: Post actual status reports!  Say that is going on.  If equipment has

been damaged, tell customers this.  Going into detail will make many

eyes glaze over, but others will appreciate this.  How is it that a company

as large as Comcast doesn't realize this?

I would appreciate an email acknowledging these comments.  Since I am

prohibited from posting "personal" information I can't list my email

address here, but this forum knows it, since I see an "email me..." option.

I'm betting that I do not get a response.

Official Employee

There are still over 5 thousand people in the area without power from the ice storm.  It is always difficult when an outage of this size and severity occurs, it was further made worse by our lower staffing levels due to the holiday time.

Our updating of the outages has not been where we would have liked it.  One of the primary reasons why our updates were not there was because with limited manpower, a decision had to be made to allocate the resources we had.  It was decided that those resources were better spent getting services working and as a result most of the updating was left on automatic. It resulted in understandable frustration both with our customers and with call center agents who were trying to assist customers with limited information.

For your service, I was able to pull up the address and see that while there are still some outages nearby, your services should be working again.  I have reached out to our tech side, to have them contact you to get someone out and fix your Internet service.

Comcast Nick
Supervisor

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Hello Nick,  Thanks for looking into this!

I just kicked the cable modem off/on line with no changes here.  My wife

is currently calling the 800 number to send a reset, so perhaps, just 

perhaps we'll be back up soon.

I do understand that this has been a trying time...

New Poster

Hello Nick,

No one has called me.  The service is still down.  I called the 800 number

and the person who answered contradicted what you said: my entire area

is still without the net.  

The latest fantasy bulletin says it should be back at 3:46AM.

Official Employee

Our tech scheduling groups are not in the office this late, it was after 10pm when I sent this over. They will respond to the information I sent them in the morning.
There are still numerous areas without service, but your specific area is up.

Comcast Nick
Supervisor

New Poster

I'd really like to think you are right, Nick.  The person I talked with

(slight asain accented English) was adamant that the entire area was

down.  So there is a technical staff that works Sundays?  Interesting--

and welcome.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Are there any updates as of today? Time estimates or just plain updates? I'm still without internet and cable and its been a week today that I lost my service.
New Poster

Just the usuall fantasy notices.  The current one I saw said 3:27am.  That

is getting old.  I do not see why someone at Comcast can't simply turn that

off--or are there simply no technically oriented people there this time of

year.

Nick, the Comcast repair folks did call, for a 10a - noon visit on  Tuesday.

Thank you for that.

Official Employee

m_freeman2012 wrote:
Are there any updates as of today? Time estimates or just plain updates? I'm still without internet and cable and its been a week today that I lost my service.

Your modem is back online, are you still having issues with your service?

Comcast Nick
Supervisor

New Poster

Hi Nick.

My name is Jim and I have Xfinity internet service. While I realize my area in Lansing may be without service, I also have a cable line down in my backyard. This means that even if my area is restored, I may be without internet still. I've been trying to get through to Comcast since December 29th through the phone number, but I've been repeatedly hung up on and put on hold, then dropped. While I understand your technical support staff may be under pressure, is the phone service itself really unable to handle the call volume without hanging up on customers?

Last night was the first time I spoke to a real person, who told me my service would be back up by 11:00 PM last night (1/2/14). From reading this thread, I can guess that was probably either a bad guess or just to mollify me. Either way it's out of my hands, so I simply call back today to schedule a technician, who I will be in need of no matter when the outage is resolved. Over the course of three hours of multiple holds, dropped calls, and being given other numbers to call for scheduling a tech, I have one coming out. On the 10th. A full week from today.

I realize the unusual nature of the ice storm and greater weather issues, but my problem is more along the lines of not being able to find out what the problems are or when/how they will be solved. What if my scheduled appointment is lost in the system over the next seven days and I call back to reschedule and get another appointment (after another three hour wait) seven days after that one? Is that really so implausible at this point? I am hoping for the best, but I fear the worst. I don't know if you, or Comcast have any responses to the issues facing your customers right now, and maybe I'm just typing to make myself feel better. I hope to continue with your service, but I don't even know how at this point.
Official Employee

I am not sure what is going on with our telecom system right now.  I know we are having some issues there and are working with our service partner to get them fixed.  The call volume is higher than normal right now with the winter storms, but it is not as high as it has been in the past during some of the bigger summer storms last year.

I am hopeful that the telecom issues will be cleared up soon.

The area outage is cleared up but your address is still without service.  I've sent information over to our dispatch group to try and get a sooner date for your technician visit.  You should hear back from that group tomorrow.

Comcast Nick
Supervisor

New Poster

Hi Nick!

I just wanted to follow up and say thank you! I received a call the next day and a technician had my line repaired the day after that. It was very fast and helpful. So thanks again!

There is a small issue though. I was told by 1-800-Comcast that I would receive a credit to my account for the service lost while my line was down. The woman I spoke to on the phone told me to ask for a confirmation or voucher number from the technician, but then the technician told my wife that there was no such thing and a credit isn't possible. Why was I told one thing on the phone, but my wife told something else in person? Is it true that I'll have to pay for service that I never received?

Again, thank you very much. You've been very helpful through a difficult and frustrating process!
Official Employee

Often an agent can't apply a credit when you first call in on an outage because they don't know when the service will be restored, so they don't have an accurate amount.

I have applied a credit for the 5 days your service was out, including January 5th because you did not have service for the entire day. 

Comcast Nick
Supervisor