Community Forum

Internet hacked?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Highlighted
New Poster

Internet hacked?

I received about 30 emails from DCMA saying files were illegally downloaded when I wasn't even home. How's this possible? I tried to contact comcast about it ...was on hold for 30 minutes, still no resolution. What to do now?
Tags (2)
Frequent Visitor

Re: Internet hacked?

If you are absolutely sure no one was at your home using your internet at the time you were not home, the only possible scenarios I can think of would be the reason for this:

- Someone near you has gained your wifi password and used your connection to pirate copyrighted material. They could have either cracked your wifi password or gotten it from you or someone who knows it.

-or-

- If your plan allows for connecting to "Xfinity hotspots" using your xfinity login details, I believe someone could have connected to a hotspot under your xfinity account credentials. I am not sure if comcast can tie a hotspot IP address to your account, but I wouldn't doubt they have that ability.

My recommendation is to change your wifi password and your xfinity password as soon as possible. When choosing a new password, choose strong passwords, and don't use the same password anywhere else. When I say "strong password", I mean a password that would be difficult to guess or crack. I recommend at least 10 characters consisting of a mixture of uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and special characters (like !, @, #).

Also note the DMCA notices sent to your email are simply copyright notices from copyright holders that have contacted Comcast, and by law Comcast has to forward those notices to you. The best thing you can do is make sure Comcast is aware that you are unaware on how it happened on your connection, but you should try changing xfinity-related passwords, including wifi to strong passwords to prevent this from happening again should indeed be an unauthorized person on your IP address.

I hope this helps.