Community Forum

Installed new modem, missing from account

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Installed new modem, missing from account

Last month I purchased and installed a new SB8200 (replacing an old SB6120). Had no problems with the installation or activation - I've been using it for the last month with no problem at all. After setup, I checked my account online and saw that the new modem, the old modem, and a third, even older, modem were all listed. It showed the status of the 8200 as Connected and the other two as unknown. I ordered a speed upgrade and went on with my life.

Yesterday I received an email saying my 6120 was too old but that Comcast would happily lease me a replacement. I checked my account, and sure enough, only the 6120 is listed on my account now.

I'm still using the 8200 (no problems with the connection), but it doesn't show up and my data utilization report seems to have stopped updating when the 6120 was unplugged. I also checked my download speed and it doesn't seem to have applied in spite of now being billed for it, presumably because the service can't find the modem to update the config.

I haven't been able to find any way to "reactivate" the 8200 - how do I proceed?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Installed new modem, missing from account

Comcast Security Assurance should be able to help you with this. Give them a call at 1-877-807-6581 (from https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/do-not-see-usage-meter/). Note that this is NOT one of the general customer service numbers.

The first-line reps there are sometimes not very helpful. If so, be persistent, and keep at them until you get a satisfactory answer.

New Poster

They made an attempt at it, but they ended up having me call 1-800-266-2278 to reactivate the modem. The second call went smoothly and they were able to get the modem (re)added and reset. Thanks for the help!

Official Employee

Hello cpg24601, thank you for sharing your resolution here with us. If you need anything further please feel free to reach back out to me here. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!