Community Forum

I have a modem that I purchased and it's registered to the old owners account

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

I have a modem that I purchased and it's registered to the old owners account

I purchased my own modem over a year ago from another customer, I setup the modem automatically using the web page and it worked fine for a few months, then it stopped, and I called customer service, they informed me it was registered to another account.  I explained the modem was mine now, since I bought it from the other user, and told them they could contact the other account owner to verify.  They refused to do so and said it was my place to do that.  I then reset the modem and it started working again.  This past weekend there was an outage in our area, and my modem wouldn't sync back up, the tech came out and got the modem sycned, but I was then informed the modem wouldn't work since it still wasn't on my account. It has been over a year since I got this modem and now they are saying I can't use it.  I caved and got one of their modems for now, but I want to use this modem, and since it's in my posession and I bought it I see no reason they shouldn't contact the previous owner to request permission to add it to my account.  I'm hoping posting this here can get the result I've so far been unable to obtain on my own. 

Expert

Re: I have a modem that I purchased and it's registered to the old owners account

@josephjhaney wrote:

I purchased my own modem over a year ago from another customer, I setup the modem automatically using the web page and it worked fine for a few months, then it stopped, and I called customer service, they informed me it was registered to another account.  I explained the modem was mine now, since I bought it from the other user, and told them they could contact the other account owner to verify.  They refused to do so and said it was my place to do that.  I then reset the modem and it started working again.  This past weekend there was an outage in our area, and my modem wouldn't sync back up, the tech came out and got the modem sycned, but I was then informed the modem wouldn't work since it still wasn't on my account. It has been over a year since I got this modem and now they are saying I can't use it.  I caved and got one of their modems for now, but I want to use this modem, and since it's in my posession and I bought it I see no reason they shouldn't contact the previous owner to request permission to add it to my account.  I'm hoping posting this here can get the result I've so far been unable to obtain on my own. 

You may have bought it from another customer, but was it the customer's personally bought and owned modem to sell? or was it a Comcast rental modem the customer sold to you?  If it was a rental modem and they told you it was theirs, it belongs to Comcast.  Did you get a receipt from this customer, or see a receipt showing they owned it?

If it was the customer's personally owned modem, did they call Comcast to have it removed from their account?  If not, that's why you're running into problems.  They would need to call and get it removed from their account.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: I have a modem that I purchased and it's registered to the old owners account

The modem is a model Comcast never sold, so no, it's not a comcast modem.  I didn't get a recipt, but I'd think since the seller took the cash, and obviously still has a working modem on the account they would be happy to tell comcast if they would contact them.  Obviously the modem isn't blacklisted, as in a bad ESN on a stolen or non payment phone, so I don't see what this is other than an attempt to keep people paying for rented equipment.  

Joe

Silver Problem Solver

Thats why it's always better to buy new. It's up to the vendor/previous owner to remove the device from any account before sale. I don't see that as Comcasts fault, but good luck!

New Poster

Even with buying new, what if you get a refurb?  It's not like this isn't a quick fix for them, oh look, you have had this modem for over a year, it worked till OUR outage, and now it doesn't.  Let's register it to the person who has been using it for a year, shall we.  I don't see why this should even be an issue, if I buy a used cell phone, and it's on somoeone elses account, as long as it isn't stolen, they will gladly contact the customer to remove it with their conscent, why would this be any different?  It's comcasts issue because I'm their customer and would like to use a legally purchased non defective device.  Where it is in their system, and how they get it moved over should not be my issue.

Joe

Valued Contributor

There is definitely ways to get it removed from their old account without contacting them. (seems easier to have this person call in, if possible) I would go into a service center with the modem, explain the problem. Let them know you can not contact the person anymore for whatever reason. A bill of sale would help as well. There has to be ways around it, because there are many legit situations where the former owner could not be contacted.
Silver Problem Solver

I was suggesting that buying new would avoid this problem, even if you buy a refurb, it's still up to the vendor to remove the device from any account. Plenty of people buy second hand all the time and don't run into problems.

If there really is no way to contact the person who sold it to you, then I'm sure a higher level tech could take care of it for you.

Perhaps even one reading this thread, again good luck with it!.