Community Forum

Huge Comcast overcharge error...

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Huge Comcast overcharge error...

We will be sending the following letter to the Oregon Public Utilities Commission unless this issue is completely resolved by noon April 16th as promised by Comcast.

My spouse and I have been loyal customers of Comcast for over 17 years.  We have HD video, high-speed Internet and voice services through them.  Our monthly bill is normally around $226 per month.
In February of 2018, we saw our bill had increased by an amount commensurate with an increase in various governmental fees.  To offset this cost, we decided to cancel our sports entertainment package that adds roughly $10 per month to our bill.  My spouse handled this change in early March of 2018.  She was told that everything was taken care of and the new monthly bill going forward would be $226.74.
On April 13, 2018, we received our Comcast bill (dated April 8, 2018) for services from April 17, 2018 to May 16, 2018 in the amount of $643.58.  Needless to say, we were completely flabbergasted!
Looking at the bill, it states that our X1 Premier Triple Play and Sports Package service for March 16, 2018 to April 16, 2018 was removed for a credit of $196.25, and the X1 Premier Triple Play service (with no sports package) for January 8, 2018 to April 16, 2018 was added for a charge of $560.94.  We can present this bill or a notarized copy to your office at your request.
As you can see, the agent erroneously back-charged us for the X1 Triple Play service from January 8, 2018.  What they should have done is charged us from March 16, 2018.
In response to this error, I immediately called Comcast Customer Service and spoke to an agent.  The agent I spoke with was unable to assist me and directed me to their Loyalty Program to help with this issue.
I spoke with Andrew (operator ID: ADD) on April 13, 2018 at approximately 8:30pm PDT.  He immediately acknowledged that an obvious mistake had been made and indicated that the only solution (since the bill was already printed and sent out) was to ensure that the actual amount withdrawn from our account by their system on April 28, 2018 (we use auto-pay) would be the new monthly amount of $226.69 instead of the $643.58.  However, he told me that the next bill would indicate a balance of $643.58 with a received payment of $226.69 leaving us a past-due amount of $416.89 with a new charge of $226.69.
When I heard this, I immediately told him this would not be acceptable since we have never been past-due on any payment in our lives and we would not accept any official bill indicating a past-due amount when the error was completely on their end and there was no actual amount past-due.  He then passed me up to a supervisor for further consultation.
I then spoke with supervisor David (supervisor ID: DX3) on April 13, 2018 at approximately 9:00pm PDT.  After making clear that any past-due notice on any official document would not be acceptable, he indicated that the next bill would be as Andrew indicated, but it would include a credit for $416.89 from Comcast and would not indicate any past-due amount.  I told him that as long as there was no indication of any past-due amount on the bill or within their system, that would be acceptable.  He told me that would be the result and indicated I would receive an email from Comcast within 4 hours notifying me of this.
Since I had had a long day at work, a very exhausting week and was still pretty upset after having dealt with this Comcast issue, I decided to go to bed.

The next morning after breakfast, I checked our email and nothing had been sent!
I once again contacted Comcast Customer Service (at approximately 11:00am PDT, April 14, 2018) and asked to be directed to their Loyalty Program department.  I told the gentleman that we had not yet received an email confirming what I was told by David the evening before.  Unfortunately, I did not remember to ask the name or ID of the agent I spoke with that morning, but he told me he saw the information in our account regarding a credit of $416.89, but authorization was still pending!
Naturally, I was completely shocked that this had not already been approved - even after being assured by David the night before that everything had been taken care of.  This new person said that he would immediately send it up to his supervisor for approval and asked me to hold.  When he returned on the line, he told me that the credit had been approved and that I would receive an email within 48 hours attesting to this.  When I told him that I had not yet received an email confirming what I had been told the night before, he indicated that it can actually take up to 48 hours to receive confirmation via email.  I then told this gentleman that good customer service at this point would be to have his supervisor send me an email personally indicating that the credit had been approved instead of letting their system do it automatically within 48 hours.  He agreed and told me he would have his supervisor send me an email directly to confirm everything.
As of 1:10pm PDT on April 14, 2018, I had not yet received a single email from Comcast regarding this issue.

We expect an email from this supervisor as promised, and two official system emails from Comcast attesting to the results of last night's discussion and the approval of the $416.89 credit this morning.  Since we expect to have official system confirmation of everything by no later than noon Monday (which would be past the 48 hour deadline), if this issue is not resolved by that time, we will be contacting the OPUC to let them know the details.

Admin1

Re: Huge Comcast overcharge error...

Hi capdek -- I can help you with that billing issue. Please send me a PM with your name, full service address, and either phone number or account number for authentication. I'll be able to get with the supervisor you spoke with to see what the status of your adjustment is.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I appreciate your offer to help, but at this point, I feel it is Comcast's responsibility to contact me as promised.  I see no value providing my information yet again to yet another Comcast agent only to be told yet again everything has been resolved and then receive no shred of evidence whatsoever corroborating such a statement.

However, if you are willing to post here on this forum that the issue has indeed been resolved as promised - namely, that the correct amount of $226.69 will be withdrawn from my account on April 28, 2018 as would be required by law, and my next bill will clearly indicate a credit of $416.89 due to Comcast's error with no amount past-due, then I will contact you.  I feel posting that information on this public forum would be sufficient evidence that Comcast is committed to truly fixing this issue and are willing to back up what they tell me.

Thank you for responding.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

How about this.

I contact you athrough a PM and you simply confirm on this thread that a credit of $416.89 was approved.

If that's true, it is very likely everything else can be reasonably inferred.

Would that work?

Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Still no contact from Comcast.

It's now just past 06:00 PDT and no email (official or otherwise) has been received as yet, and the agent who posted above has not even bothered to post a response on this forum regarding my suggestion I contact them with my information and she/he confirms here on this forum the issue has indeed been fixed.

It's pretty clear you are dealing with a gigantic computer driven system with human drones as simple punch-key operators - a system where no human being is able to take any responsibility for anything they tell you.  You simply have to trust them - the Great Computer OZ told them the issue is fixed and you just have to trust that OZ will send you an email confirmation within 48 hours.

Expert

If you don't verify your identity, @ComcastZach can't help you. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Fine, I will contact him.  I'm sure he will bring up my account on the Great OZ and tell me the issue has been fixed.  The real question is, will he post that information on this forum or send me an email confirming this?  The point here is that I'm simply wanting a hman being to actually corrorborate in some official capacity the overcharge has been corrected as promised.  That way, if on April 28th, the Great OZ deducts over $643.58 from my account instead of the proper amount of $226.69, I will have actual evidence Comcast bamboozled me.  All the evidence here suggests they want to avoid all responsibility in case that actually happens.  And just imagine how much time and red tape I'll have to wade through to get that money re-imbursed?

They already told me on Friday night I would receive an email confirmation within 4 hours that the issue was fixed, and that never occurred.  And then when I called Saturday morning to find out the issue had not actually been fixed Friday night, but was still waiting for authorization, I was told that a supervisor had now authorized it and I would receive an email from the supervisor confirming this - which never occurred.

It's quite possible the problem has been fixed, and maybe the Great OZ will send me a system generated email confirming this before noon today, but all the evidence at this point suggests this will not occur and I'll simply have to wait till the 28th to see what actually comes out of my bank account.  If you call that 'good customer service', then I have some prime land in the Florida everglades I can sell you.

And remember, at the head of all this, is a major faux pas by Comcast that erroneously back charged me two months cost for a service I had already paid for.  So the Great OZ, or the human drone interacting with it, clearly made a mistake.  And with over $600 on the line, I'm simply trying to make sure another mistake does not occur.  Does that seem unreasonable to you?

Frequent Visitor

Oh, bye-the-way.  The Great OZ did send me an email this morning.  The Grand Poobah wanted to let me know I've earned the conversation starter badge!  Wow - I'm so thrilled!

Smiley Wink

Expert

@capdek wrote:

Fine, I will contact him.  I'm sure he will bring up my account on the Great OZ and tell me the issue has been fixed.  The real question is, will he post that information on this forum or send me an email confirming this?  The point here is that I'm simply wanting a hman being to actually corrorborate in some official capacity the overcharge has been corrected as promised.  That way, if on April 28th, the Great OZ deducts over $643.58 from my account instead of the proper amount of $226.69, I will have actual evidence Comcast bamboozled me.  All the evidence here suggests they want to avoid all responsibility in case that actually happens.  And just imagine how much time and red tape I'll have to wade through to get that money re-imbursed?

They already told me on Friday night I would receive an email confirmation within 4 hours that the issue was fixed, and that never occurred.  And then when I called Saturday morning to find out the issue had not actually been fixed Friday night, but was still waiting for authorization, I was told that a supervisor had now authorized it and I would receive an email from the supervisor confirming this - which never occurred.

It's quite possible the problem has been fixed, and maybe the Great OZ will send me a system generated email confirming this before noon today, but all the evidence at this point suggests this will not occur and I'll simply have to wait till the 28th to see what actually comes out of my bank account.  If you call that 'good customer service', then I have some prime land in the Florida everglades I can sell you.

And remember, at the head of all this, is a major faux pas by Comcast that erroneously back charged me two months cost for a service I had already paid for.  So the Great OZ, or the human drone interacting with it, clearly made a mistake.  And with over $600 on the line, I'm simply trying to make sure another mistake does not occur.  Does that seem unreasonable to you?

I think everyone reading your posts can totally understand your anger and frustration and that no one blames you for feeling that way.  However, you come here wanting help, but you give an ultimatum of two days to fix the situation or you will send a letter to OPU.  And then you balk at the attempt to help you by not sending via PM the information requested.  @ComcastZach works with the Executive Team available to the forums to help resolve issues just like this.  I get the feeling that you'd rather send the letter to OPU than have Comcast work to get this fixed.  If that's the case, then there really wasn't a point to posting here, other than to have others read about what happened, which would have taken just one post to accomplish.

ComcastZach isn't a bot; he's a real person that works hard on behalf of customers.  He doesn't often, actually, hardly ever, sends out "system generated email", instead he composes his own posts and emails.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Well, based on your comment, it sounds like ComcastZach is perhaps the only human being at Comcast willing to actually officially verify this.

Like a good seal, I'll jump through another hoop, take your advice and contact ComcastZach to see if he will actually officially confirm the issue is truly fixed.  If he does, I will not contact the OPUC.

You should realize, we have been very happy for the most part with Comcast over these past 17 years.  We have had very reliable cable TV service with top notch Internet speeds and reliable phone service during this time.

At one point, we were having dropped connection issues, and although we had to wade through many layers of technical support to uncover the issue (which was outside our home), we did get the problem fixed and we profusely thanked Comcast for their efforts.  In fact, we sent a rather lengthy email to the head office thanking the individuals involved.  We're a bit old-school - we don't do Twiter or Facebook and rarely, if ever, post on forums.  In fact, the only reason we're here is because we first sent an email to comcastcares_support@comcast.net, and when that bounced back, we sent our email to we-can-help@cable.comcast.net, only to receive a message pointing us to this forum.  Back in the day, you could talk to a real person and someone would actually send you an email to follow-up.  It seems Comcast has moved away from that approach - here is what we received via email...

Thank you for contacting us. We no longer use this email address because we have a number of new ways for you to get help and questions answered.  We are here for you — online, on the phone and in person at our stores.  Pick whatever is most convenient for you.   

·         ​Download the My Account App today for access to troubleshooting, payments and more. Use the My Account app to schedule a time for us to call you about any TV or Internet issues you are having by tapping on the settings icon (top left corner), then "Contact Us," then "Talk to an agent." You can choose from a number of available 15-minute time slots to get a call back from one our agents.

·         ​Visit our Help & Support Forum

·         ​Tweet us @ComcastCares or send us a message on Facebook

·         C​all us at 1-800-XFINITY

If you have any questions, we’re here for you 24/7.

Our #1 priority is improving your customer experience. Learn more about what we’re doing at xfinity.com/experience. ​

So, in summary, I will take your advice and contact ComcastZach and see how he handles it.  And I'll make sure I update this thread with the results - positive or negative.

Expert

@capdek

I just checked with someone in his office and Zach is off today Smiley Sad but he will be in tomorrow. Smiley Happy He is the the Administrator that needs to handle this for you.  Are you willing to wait just a little while longer?  I know you're chomping at the bit over this, but he really is the one that can take care of this for you [he has an excellent track record on this kind of stuff, btw].

I will be around late morning tomorrow and I will make sure to get in touch with him to see if he's gotten with you if I don't see a post from him here.  I want to see this taken care of for you.

Frequent Visitor

Sure, I can wait till tomorrow.  It sounds like Zach is the guy to help and I'm more than happy to wait till he can respond.

Thanks for the update!

Expert

@capdek wrote:

Sure, I can wait till tomorrow.  It sounds like Zach is the guy to help and I'm more than happy to wait till he can respond.

Thanks for the update!

You're quite welcome!

Frequent Visitor

It is now just before 1:00pm Tuesday afternoon and still no posting, PM or email from ComcastZach.

I would appreciate it if he would post to this forum or email me directly as soon as possible to let me know what's going on.

Frequent Visitor

Just received this PM from ComcastZach at 4:20pm PDT on April 17, 2018:

I reviewed your account and have confirmed that -$416.89 was credited to your account. There were a few other adjustments that were applied as well. This gives you a balance of $171.34 that your Autopay will pull.

I have saved the response in both html and docx format as a formal record just in case something goes wrong between now and when the funds are pulled April 28th. However, based on what I've heard about ComcastZach, I'm very hopeful everything will be OK.

Consequently, I will not be contacting the OPUC - unless of course something goes horribly wrong April 28th.

Many thanks to ComcastZach for the help and to the service expert Again for recommending him!