Community Forum

Got a letter telling me that I have to start paying a rental charge for my own modem

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Got a letter telling me that I have to start paying a rental charge for my own modem

I bought my modem 4 years ago and still have documentation from Best Buy relating to the purchase.

I just got a letter from Xfinity stating that they 'own' my modem and are therefore going to start charging me $11 a month plus fees for it.

How do I fix this obvious mistake?  I spoke to a representative over the phone who said the person who sold me the modem might have stolen it from Comcast/Xfinity.  Really?  Best Buy stole a modem from Comcast and not only sold it to me but kept a record of the transaction online?

I asked the representative for the serial number of the modem that Comcast thinks is theirs and they could not provide it.  They have the MAC address only which is obvious otherwise the modem would not be able to connect to their service.

Another representative said not to worry about the letter and that it will be taken care of after I gave her the order number of the Best Buy order which still exists online and in my emails confirming the original order from four years ago but she did not provide a reference for me and I don't have high confidence that the issue will be fixed.

How can I deal with this issue sactisfactorily, i.e how can I make certain that I am not going to be charged rental for a modem that I purchased myself and that has been happily working with Xfinity internet appropriately without a charge for the last 4 years?  The specific thing that bothers me is that Xfinity does not even have a record of the modem's serial number.  I gave them the MAC address when I activated the modem and this is not proof that Xfinity owns the modem at all and is in fact meaningless as far as I can see.

Thanks,

Phil

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Got a letter telling me that I have to start paying a rental charge for my own modem

Comcast's Escallation Team tells me that this is an automatic letter resulting from an equipment audit.  They claim that CSRs can change the rental fee, but not the equipment code, which is supposed to be done by a different department.  And apparently, this often isn't done, so the next audit automatically triggers "the letter".  You shouldn't have to prove you own your own modem;  Comcast is the accuser, and the burden of proof of ownership is on them.  When I asked them to provide a receipt of purchase, of course they couldn't, and suddenly noticed that my modem was a different brand and model from the ones they provide.

So, bottom line, insist that this time the equipment code gets changed.

Regular Visitor

Re: Got a letter telling me that I have to start paying a rental charge for my own modem

I'll try this and see what happens but I'm cynical.  Apart from anything else the only reason I bought the modem is because they told me to becasue the one I rented was too old.  They couldn't even tell me the serial number of my modem because its obviously not theirs.  They actually told me I must have bought a stolen modem whcih is pathetic to be honest with you since I bought it from Best Buy.  If the issue isn't resolved I'll go to Best Buy where I bought the modem and ask them why Xfinity is accusing them of selling stolen goods.  I still have the order number and details of the order.

Bronze Problem Solver

Best of luck!  Let us know what happens.