Community Forum

Glitch in Comcast system blew away my primary e-mail address and it cannot be restored for 90 days

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Glitch in Comcast system blew away my primary e-mail address and it cannot be restored for 90 days

I had my primary e-mail renamed to one of my restricted secondaries. After spending almost the entire day yesterday with Comcast representatives (from all over India) in various departments including level 2 support, they are unable to restore it back, even as a restricted secondary e-mail. I am now left without my primary e-mail address, which I have been using for years and all my banks, friends, etc... know as my email username.

I was told by various representatives that the name is locked out in the system for 90 days with no recourse and no one seems to know how to restore it back to my account. I cannot believe it is this difficult to just restore a username that is still associated with my account.

Nearly all of the representatives I spoke with barely spoke English and could not understand what I was saying (I have no accent, btw). It was difficult for me to explain to them what happened, even though what happened was not that complicated after someone who at least spoke half-decent English in Level 2 CSA checked the audit records:

I had an unrestricted primary account with username: mgol...

I had a restricted secondary account with username: Drew...

It turns out that the Comcast computer/account system sometime between Thursday night and Saturday morning (or thereabouts) renamed my primary username mgol... to that secondary Drew... due to some sort of glitch in the overnight batch processing, best I could tell from what the Level 2 CSA rep told me. The end result of the change was:

Unrestricted primary: Drew...

..., and I cannot rename it back to mgol..., because that username is still marked as "in use." It is in the 90 day to be deleted pool and no longer available, but the Comcast system still has record of it as a previously used username (still associated with my account) and so it cannot be readded or be the new username in a rename operation.

That means that I cannot rename Drew... back to mgol... or even add mgol... as a restricted secondary, since that username is still marked as in-use in the system - it is in limbo for 90 days until it gets purged out of the "to be deleted pool." It is a username that I need back ASAP, because all e-mail I receive is sent to that user name - it has been my primary e-mail for some fifteen years. I don't care if I lose any e-mails that are currently in the Comcast e-mail server with that username, since I download them all to my Outlook, anyways. So if the username needs to be completely purged out of the system (losing all stored e-mail) and re-added, I am OK with that. I just want it back in my account and visible to me as either a replacement for the current primary unrestricted user (i.e, rename Drew... back to mgold...) or add it as a new restricted secondary username. I just want it back in my account and visible to me/usable by me to send/receive email.

Here is my ticket # as proof: CR774980587 (My cell phone number is in that ticket, if you need to contact me)

Can a smart and technically savvy Comcast employee please restore my email username back to my account as soon as possible? Like I said, I don't mind losing any emails or settings stored in the Comcast system associated with mgol.... Feel free to completely purge the mgol... username out of the system if you have to, in order to re-add it back to my account as an active username.

Regular Visitor

Re: Glitch in Comcast system blew away my primary e-mail address and it cannot be restored for 90 da

This issue has been resolved. Thank you very much, Kendall!