Community Forum

Followup on Account Security Issue

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Followup on Account Security Issue

This is a followup with more information about an issue I encountered. Since Comcast does not apparently permit emailed feedback (and I refuse to sit through the AWFUL process for and customer service involved with calling the main number), I felt that this might be the best place to put this information.

Recently, I had received what started to seem like weekly notifications about someone accessing my account from a machine I did not recognize. I changed my password each time to ensure security. I finally called to see if it needed to be investigated further and partly because the two factor authentication was not setting up properly. I did get that set up, which ultimately has shown me what the likely culprit is (and thus Comcast/Xfinity needs to consider how to work around this, as well as be able to have knowledgeable support staff about the issue, as the level of ignorance with customer service yesterday was excessive).

Simply put - it appears that for those of us wanting to use ebill notifications from our banks (or the services they use to process ebills), the use of our login information there to set up the ebill and maintain the ebill is logged as access to the account from another computer. And, because of the nature of those services, two factor authentication is not possible. As such, I've disabled my ebill service with Comcast/Xfinity, but this is the kind of issue that creates confusion about account security and also prevents customers from being able to use ebilling services without triggering security emails on a regular basis. Had the security notification contained more information, for instance (perhaps the origin of the attempt), then that would be clearer. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Followup on Account Security Issue

Did you ever get a resolution on this?

I think I have this problem.  I have my bank bill pay set up to retrieve the comcast bill and schedule payment.  I recently had one of my secondary accounts hacked (which comcast doesn't seem to care about as thier promised call me back in 24-48 hours went by days ago).  So I put as much restriction as I could find on all secondary accounts and enabled two factor authentication on the primary.  Changed all passwords too of course.

Now my bank can't access my e-bill.  Sounds like your issue. 

Official Employee

Re: Followup on Account Security Issue

Hi spokey, 

I'd like to help with your billing concerns as well as addressing your concerns of your secondary account being hacked. Please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click private message me. In the body of this message please verify the first and last name of the account holder, the phone number, street address, and the account number associated with your services.