Community Forum

Fluctuating Franchise Fees

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Fluctuating Franchise Fees

Has anyone out there ck'd the 'franchise fees' on their bill?

I was looking over my bill and wanted to know exactly what a 'Franchise Fee' was.  After pulling up the past 6 months of bills, I noticed the fee fluctuated from month to month from -.86 to over $9.00!

My first call to Customer Service, he advised he was able to address any questions on my bill.  When i asked about the 'Franchise Fee' he said he was not qualified to speak to that and that I would have to talk with 'Billing'.  Further, he could not transfer me to 'Billing'. He instructed me to hang up and call back on the same number and ask for 'Billing'.  He also explained the additional $5.98 additional outlet fee as an add on to my regular $9. addtl outlet fee, that I only get 1/2 the discount i received for the past year.

My second call: I was unable to ask for 'Billing' . The Customer Service rep i had this time around, attempted several times to offer an explanation of the 'Franchise Fee' - but was unable to difinitively explain exatcly what it was and why it fluctuated so drastically from month to month, stating it was a Federal tax fee they pass on to the customer that can range from 00% to 6.5%.  I asked 00% to 6.5% of what? and what determines what percent will be charged for the month. Is that charge the same to each customer from month to month.

She was unable to answer me and advised i needed to talk with 'Billing'. Yes. Really.

However, she asked me to hold the line while she transfered me to that department and that i would be on hold. (obviously the first rep must not know he can transfer calls) ;/

I was on hold for a while and eventually hung up.

Anyone have an explanation of the seemingly arbitrary Franchise Fees, what they are, who imposes it, what determines the amount monthly and if everyone is charged the same seemingly arbitrary amount?

thank you!

Side note: Regional Sports Fee: what? I don't watch sports...why is there a fee?  So, i'm paying for it in my package and then additionally in a tack on fee in 'Other Charges'?

OCTOBER BILL:

'Other Charges and credits' -

Broadcast TV Fee $6.50

'Taxes and Fees"  

Franchise Fee $7.56, County Franchise  .80 , FCC reg fee .08

NOVEMBER BILL:

'Other Charges and credits'

Broadcast TV Fee $6.50 + Regional  Sports Fee $4.50*(not on oct bill)

'Taxes and Fees'

Franchise Fee  -.86, County Franchise .80 + FCC regulatory fee .08

DECEMBER BILL:

'Other Charges and credits -

Broadcast TV Fee - $6.50, Regional Sports Fee $4.50

'Taxes and Fees'

Franchise Fee  $9.00.County Franchise .80 + FCC regulatory fee .08

JANUARY BILL:

'Taxes and Fees'

Franchise Fee $5.38

FEBRUARY BILL:

'Taxes and Fees'

Franchise Fee $1.08

MARCH BILL:

'Taxes and Fees'

Franchise Fee $5.37

additional outlet fee : $5.98 - I did not have an additional outlet added.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Fluctuating Franchise Fees

Unfortunately these fees are the rich guys that own transporting franchise..meaning they own the ability for signals to go over certain areas of land.when cable came into being the went straight to the FCC and purchased these rights.they have monthly board meetings her in Nashville. to ....sit and discuss how much they can go up on these fees legally .We get stuck with them..it is  like toll booths on highways..FCC is who has control of when and how much they can up their fees..