Community Forum

Erroneous Installation Fee

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Erroneous Installation Fee

On December 15, 2017 I ordered Xfinity Internet online and chose the self install option.  I received my modem on December 18, 2017.  I went online and named my modem, set the password via my ipad/data plan.  After multiple failed attempts  to get a signal for my modem to connect and not able to use the online tool to trouble shoot because I had no signal I contacted customer service / troubleshooting on December 19, 2019.  The very nice lady wanted to reset my modem, but she didn't see it connected.  I unplugged and disconnected everything again and redid the very simple install and still did not have a signal.  We/I tried every connection in my apartment, still nothing.

She offered to have a tech come out and said if it is a user error on my part there would be a $60 charge to install.  I assured her I knew how to plug an electrical cord into a wall and the modem as well as screw in a coax cable to the modem and wall.  I told her it was definitely something with the wiring and not a user error.  I asked again, if there would be a charge for the tech to come out and she reiterated that if it was due to a user error then yes there would be a charge.  I asked her again, if there is something wrong with the wiring will I be charged and she said no.

I received the text asking me to confirm the tech appointment and I immediately went on line and confirmed my appointment between the hours of 8 and 10 am CT.  

The tech arrive on December 22, 2017 promptly at 10 am.  He came in and I explained to him what I had told the customer service rep and asked him if this is a problem on ya'lls end am I going to be charged?  He said no.  So he asked me to unplug and unscrew the coax and reinstall, still no signal.  Then he asked me to try another outlet in my apartment, we tried all 4 outlets and still could not get a signal.

The tech went outside and around to the side of my building to check the lines.  Several minutes later he comes around the corner with a piece of what appeared to be coax and it had been chewed through by squirrels and the only thing holding the two ends together was a thin piece of copper wire.  He said he was going to see what he could do.

A little while later he came back in and asked me to reinstall the modem, KEEP IN MIND, I DID THE INSTALL EVERY TIME, NOT HIM! Still no signal in the living room, so he said lets try another outlet, cause I don't know which one I got to work.  So I tried my bedroom, guestroom and office, still no signal.  He then said lets try the living room one more time and if it doesn't work this time I will need to have the construction installation crew come out and rewire.  So I installed it again in the living room and this time we actually got a signal!  

As he was getting ready to leave, I asked again if I was going to be charged and he said no.  I asked if there was something I needed to sign any paperwork or anything and he said no I was good to go!

Fast forward to today, January 17, 2017 and I get a text letting me know my bill is now available.  So I click on the link and open my bill to see a $60 professional installation fee on my bill!

I immediately called customer service and told the guy what my issues was and he kept reminding me that when I clicked to confirm the appointment that I agreed to the installation fee.  I reminded him countless times about what the first rep told me when I scheduled the appointment and what the tech said and his response was "You don't feel you should have to pay for the techs time to come out and professionally install your Internet?"  I told him no, I don't believe I should have to pay because I was told that I would only be charged if it was a user install error and a squirrel chewing through their wires was not on me, I am not responsible for maintenance and upkeep to their wires on the exterior of my apartment.  

I then asked to speak with a manager and he was equally rude and patronizing to me.  

I refuse to pay this charge and want promptly removed from my bill! 

Does anybody know the phone number to speak with someone in the good ol' USA?