Community Forum

Equipment turned in, still being charged

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Equipment turned in, still being charged

I've been a reluctant Comcast customer for well over 2 years, moving up from Texas with the US Army.  After over two years of dealing with substandard-to-nonexistent internet service (used to be in love with AT&T UVerse down there), I purchased my own modem with separate WiFi router and turned in my modem/router combination unit to the service center just down the road from me (5614 176th St E.,Puyallup, WA).

When I gave the unit over to the clerk at the entrance, he said "that's it, you're good to go.  You'll see a turn-in of your equipment on your next billing statement."  A couple of weeks later, I received my next bill, and I was still being charged for the equipment.  So I high tailed it down to the store again, and spoke with another clerk, who looked up my account.  He saw that I never had the equipment removed from my bill (which I told him) and he supposedly back dated the turn in of the equipment and removed the charge from my bill, telling me to "check my bill in 24 hours or so, and it should reflect the changes."

24 hours later, I checked and no changes were made.  So I decided to wait, thinking it may take a couple of additional days to show up on the website.  No luck.  My bill is now due, it's Sunday, and nobody is able to help me to get this fixed.  I went to the store, and arrived two minutes too late to be able to get into the doors and they wouldn't talk to me, called the hotline and it was already closed for the day, due to it being after hours for the telephone agents.

I've reached the end of my rope with Comcast, their substandard service, their terrible customer support, and my inability to get anything done with either the telephone agents or in-store clerks.  I've been fighting with customer support for over a month concerning this and have made no headway.  If I'm going to have substandard internet and television service and terrible customer support, I might as well take my dollars elsewhere and get bad service and support for fewer dollars per month.  I can bundle CenturyLink and DirecTV for fewer dollars, have equally bad service and support, but at least have access to NFL Sunday Ticket so I can watch my 49ers and my wife can watch her Cowboys.

At this point, there is no way I could, in good conscience, recommend Comcast or any of their services to my fellow servicemembers.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Equipment turned in, still being charged

I am escalating your post to the forum administrator. An official employee will reply. Please check back every once in a while for a reply by one of them.

For future reference:

When your equipment is picked up or turned in, GET A RETURNED EQUIPMENT RECEIPT. Make sure it documents that what you returned is a modem or tv boxes. If there are any stickers with serial or MAC numbers, make sure those numbers are on the receipt. Keep the receipt in a safe place, don't forget where you put it. Keep it until the middle of the next century. In the past, Comcast has billed customers for equipment that had been returned. Sometimes they lose track of the equipment and the receipt will be your proof that you turned it in to Comcast.

If you ship the equipment to Comcast, record tracking numbers.  Keep those numbers in a safe place. You will need them later if Comcast bills you for the equipment.

You can also check the status of shipped items on the delivery company webpage. When you see it was delivered, print screen the delivery status. UPS also offers Track By Email. Use that option. You'll be notified when it is delivered. Save the email-again this will be proof it was received by Comcast.

Print out the delivery confirmation (if your computer crashes and you lose the info the print out will be your proof of return) This should also be kept in a safe place where you can get to it if needed.  Anything you print out keep it until the middle of the next century. Comcast has been known to bill people for equipment they returned a year or more ago.

If possible, take photos of the all the labels on the equipment before you return it. Attach these to the receipt from the local office or the shipping documentation. 

SCAN the returned equipment receipts if you take it to the local office. One poster has reported that receipts from his local office use disappearing ink since it starts to fade after a week or 2.

I know from experience that having the receipts can save you a lot of headaches. I was able to pull out my receipts when a collection agency notified me I owed for Comcast equipment that had been returned and lost by the local office.

Admin1

Hello kmkstsux,

I see that you were able to speak with someone yesterday about your account. Per your notes, the rep was able to show you the billing change and have you pay the correct amount. Online billing generally will not update for equipment changes until a new statement prints. The modem has also been removed from the account. If you're still experiencing issues with the service quality, I can arrange to have someone come out look over your signal lines and get things working properly. Let me know what else I can do for you.

Thank You

Official Employee
Moved:

Contributor

Actually ive had comcast for 30+ years and other then a couple of occasions never ever had a problem.  Just a thought that while its understood that you had a bad experience, doesnt mean that everyone does.

USMC Retired

New Poster

This is happening to me also, for months now, I returned the equipment, and have just noticed I am being charged an extra $10/mo. Can you help?

Official Employee

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to assist you from here. Can you verify your account information with me? I would need your phone number, full name, and service address. You can private message me by clicking my name and clicking private message.