Community Forum

Early termination fee when moving

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Early termination fee when moving

I called today to have service shut off becuase we are moving my mother (who is in assisted living) to a new location outside the Comcast service area. I was told that we will be charged an early termination fee. I was very specifically told by the rep at the service center where I signed up (in Apharetta, GA) that if I moved and could not transfer the service, I would not be charged the early termination fee.

I am appalled at Comcast customer service.

re: ticket 034192605

Valued Contributor

Re: Early termination fee when moving

atherton414,

You currently have an open ticket and will be contacted within 72 hours. After that ticket is closed and you still have an issue, please let us know so that we may assist further.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Not only was my ticket closed and I was only offered a 50 % reduction in the ETF, now I am on the phone with another rep who tells me that no order has been put it for my move/cancellation and that the full fee is goig to be charged. The service at Comcast is disgusting.

New Poster

Is there a class action suit in progress yet for Comcast regarding these fees? If so, I'd like to know more. A caliornia judge has already ordered that ETFs are unenforceable. I doubt it will take long for that ruling to spread as precedent.

New Poster

If you find a class action lawsuit, I am willing to join. I have spent hours on the phone with Comcast with no resolution and multiple employees talking over me. At the direction of Comcast, I returned all of my equipment (see attached). When I called Comcast, the CSR told me that it was optional for me to return my equipment and that I must pay the ETF. I am in a community that no longer allows Comcast services. How is that any different than moving to a community or area that doesn't allow Comcast services. Comcast can't realistically expect customers to change the way that they live (i.e. break apartment leases, only choose communities that allow Comcast services) just to remain within an agreement for a service.

Ticket #034445445
image.jpeg
New Poster

I am having the same issue. Comcast does not provide service in the area of my new home and still insists I must pay an early cancellation fee. I was told when I signed up a year ago that I would not be charged an early termination fee if they didn't offer service in a new area if I moved. It's the usual bait and switch, dishonest business practices. 

Problem Solver

Hello noles10k,

I'm sorry for your troubles. I’ll be more than happy to address your concerns. I do understand that moving is out of your control, but the early termination fee is a valid charge if you are moving out of a Comcast service region. Customer’s receive a special price or offer in exchange for agreeing to keep the service for a certain period of time. Since the original agreement of the duration of service could not be maintained at the new address, the early termination fee is applicable.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Well I was told when I signed up that if I moved locally to an area that comcast didn't have service I would not be liable for a cancellation fee. I would have quite happily kept my service but I cannot determine my move simply based upon where your company provides service. I was lied to and now your company does not want to honor what one of your employees stated to me. This is unfair and bad business practices that would never have me either use comcast again or recommend your company to anyone.
Problem Solver

noles10k,

I have sent you a private message to discuss your account concerns further. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Same issues here as the prior posters. I went to the local store to arrange moving services and was told that this area did not have service and that I would need to stop service and return all the equipment. The local store even told me what other companies serviced that area and it was confirmed online when using the "moving/transfer service" feature. So I stopped service and returned the equipment and asked to pay any outstanding balance, which amounted to around 40 dollars for prorated services. I asked about any other fees at that time because I was concerned that the mail would take time to be forwarded from old apartment to my new house. I was told by the in store rep that all bills/fees had been settled and I would not be receiving any other bills since I moved out of a service area. Several weeks after moving I got a bill for $220 for an early termination fee. I called into customer service and asked about this fee and again explained that I wanted to continue service but moved to an area outside of the service and again provided the customer service agent my address confirming no Comcast coverage my residence. I was told that a supervisor would review my case and help me resolve it and return a callin 48-72 hours. One week later I get a call from the collections/billings division and told that I was going to now be sent to collections. This division then advised me to call back customer service, a separate division, to resolve the early termination fee. I then called back inquiring why I had not received a response from the supervisor that was ensured a week prior, and the new customer service agent could not reference any of the prior conversations I had and did not have any notes of my new address that I previously provided. He again took down my information after offering me a $110 early termination fee and said a supervisor would again contact me in 48-72 hours. I stressed the importance of the response since I was already informed of the pending collections by the billing division and he said that no action would be taken until this issue is resolved. I have learned my lesson this time and will be calling back in the next 24-48 hours when I don't get the promised return call from a supervisor. 

I have had multiple service providers in the past including AT&T, Cox, and Time Warner and never had such a frustrating customer service issue. I have moved out of service areas for those other providers multiple times in the past for either school or work and always got a friendly "thanks for using our service and we hope to serve you in the future" from all of them. Comcast, in contrast, tries to hit all of it's departing customers, who would willingly keep service if possible, with unreasonable termination fees, not even seen with the majority of mobile telecommunication providers. So I agree with noles 10k, comcast is using the usual bait and switch, dishonest business practices, and has a different response to the same inquiry depedning on which represenative you reach on the phone or in person. Searching similar topics of ETF when moving in these forums results in many similar dissastisfied customers that were misled and received misinformation from Comcast.

Admin1

Hi ex-finity1 -- Apologies for the issues you've had with these fees however these are not dishonest business practices or bait and switch tactics. It's written into each contract, which you are able to see at any time, that full termination of your contract for any reason results in early termination fees. This would include moving to an area that Comcast does not service. That said, your account was reviewed and since you were given incorrect information but multiple agents, all termination fees have been credited. 

Admin1
Moved: