Community Forum

Early Termination Fee

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Early Termination Fee

I have been a Comcast customer for my entire adult life.  I recently found out I have to move for work to a city where Comcast does not provide service.  When I called in May to cancel my service, I was told by the rep that I would have to pay an early cancellation fee because I still had about a year left on my contract.  After explaining that when I was cold called to renew, I specifically asked about this since I knew relocation may be required.  The guy I spoke with assured me I would NOT be charged an early termination fee.  My bill was due two days later, so he told me to pay the full amount, and I would be refunded the prorated amount.

Fast forward to yesterday, 6/14, and I call Comcast to inquire why I haven't received the prorated refund.  I'm quickly told that the prorated amount was $64, but they would just apply that to my $190 early termination fee, so now I owe Comcast $125.  Literally as I was working with support, I saw my bill updated online and go from $0 to include all of the early termination fee and prorated amounts. Thankfully I took screenshots before my online chat and call. I'm attaching the screenshots here where they are clearly timestamped showing NO early termination activity and within minutes, suddenly the fees appear within minutes of the customer service rep accessing my account.  He assured me the fees have been there since May 16 even when I have screenshots from 5 MINUTES BEFORE my call without the fees there.

Customer service also refused to pull the tapes from my call in May to confirm I was in fact told that I would not be charged the early termination fee.  It's infuriating.  Look, $190 is not the end of the world, but I can't fathom that someone in that company hasn't figured out that there must be parameters to make exceptions, i.e. long-term customers who have no choice but to move who likely will have the OPTION to subscribe to Comcast again someday but will refuse after such poor customer service.  

I'm just so disappointed that no one is willing to use common sense here!

6-14-2018 1-51-20 PM.jpg
6-14-2018 1-51-28 PM.jpg
6-14-2018 1-56-52 PM.jpg
6-14-2018 1-57-00 PM.jpg
Valued Contributor

Re: Early Termination Fee

If service is cancelled early, while in contract, ETFs apply. Even if moving to a non serviceable area. The agent did not go and add these ETFs after the fact. The original agent who set you up on the contract plan was incorrect, if he did tell you no ETFs would apply. You did have to agree to a separate contract though. The whole reason for the extra discount, is BECAUSE you are agreeing to keep comcast for a certain time period.
New Poster

Perhaps you didn't read my full post. I fully understand what a contract is, but what I'm saying is that the agent who renewed me AND the agent who canceled my service both told me I wouldn't be charged early cancellation since I had no choice. 

2 things:

1) Shame on me for not reading the fine print and trusting what I was told by TWO people.  I just really can't believe they're not even willing to pull the call log.  Even if they don't honor what I was told, they need to re-train that employee.

2) As a company that is losing cable subscribers left and right, was a $190 cancellation fee worth losing a long-time customer who will likely someday be in a Comcast area again?

You miss the larger point: we use common sense on these types of decisions every day in the real world.  We look at the tradeoffs and determine if we can make exceptions to rules if the end result actually works out better for our companies.  My point was just that I'm shocked Comcast believes that enforcing 100% of fees (which the rep told they DO make exceptions--I just wasn't one of them) is the right thing for their business model.

Expert

For correct information regarding Early Termination Fees please see here.
I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

How is there no verbal contract though with 2 representatives telling me I would not be charged an ETF?  That seems highly predatory.