Community Forum

Early Termination Fee Due to Death of Family Member

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Early Termination Fee Due to Death of Family Member

I am the Executor of my brother's estate. He passed away October 2, 2017 and when the court appointed me as executor, I returned his equipement, paid the balance due at that time. A couple of weeks later, I received a bill showing a balance of $129.21. I called Customer Service and was told that there was $200 due for early termination of his contract. I had paid part of this when I paid his final bill. When I explained the circumstances, the agent apologized and told me I would receive a refund of the overpayment of $70.79 .  A few weeks later, after not receiving the refund, I had an online chat with another Comcast agent and once again was told this matter would be resolved. Not only have I not received the refund, but the balance of $129.21 has now been sent to a collections agency.

It is outrageous that I have had to deal with the agony of losing my brother and now have to fight with Comcast. If I don't hear back from Comcast in the next few days to resolve this matter, I intend to file a complaint with the FCC.

Expert

Re: Early Termination Fee Due to Death of Family Member

Fitness2 wrote:

I am the Executor of my brother's estate. He passed away October 2, 2017 and when the court appointed me as executor, I returned his equipement, paid the balance due at that time. A couple of weeks later, I received a bill showing a balance of $129.21. I called Customer Service and was told that there was $200 due for early termination of his contract. I had paid part of this when I paid his final bill. When I explained the circumstances, the agent apologized and told me I would receive a refund of the overpayment of $70.79 .  A few weeks later, after not receiving the refund, I had an online chat with another Comcast agent and once again was told this matter would be resolved. Not only have I not received the refund, but the balance of $129.21 has now been sent to a collections agency.

It is outrageous that I have had to deal with the agony of losing my brother and now have to fight with Comcast. If I don't hear back from Comcast in the next few days to resolve this matter, I intend to file a complaint with the FCC.

What you need to do is take the death certificate down to your local Comcast office and have them close out the account and issue the refund.  You will also need proof that you are the executor of his estate.  In this case an ETF should not be applied.

I am very sorry about your brother's death.  Please take care.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.