Community Forum

DVF BOX

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

DVF BOX

Had promotional bundled pkg (good until November 2009) that included a free DVR box rental.  Bought an HD TV 5 days ago and got HD Box/Tuner same day from Comcast.  Due to Comcast's poor reception issues I returned both the TV and comcast's hd box 4 DAYS LATER and got back a normal DVR Box (like I had before).  They now said they're going to charge me $8.99 a month because I "broke the pkg" even thought it was only for 4 days. This is ludicrous.  Bundled pkg price stays the same until NOv. 2009 but I have to pay additional $8.99 for box.  Someone please tell me what to do.  I've talked to Comcast 'til I'm blue in the face to no avail.  How can I get to someone with the authority to erase the 8.99.

Regular Contributor

Re: DVF BOX

I feel your pain.

It seems to be the usual ploy with Comcast now-a-days.

A convoluted form of bait and switch.

For a while it looked like Comcast was working hard to become customer friendly, but after a very brief time, I started reading stories like this all over the place.

I used to be able to reach out to forum moderators and administrators for help, but they don't respond to any requests for help.

The best I can suggest is writing a letter to your local Attorney General stating your complaint, and also fill out some forms for small claims court.  Small claims court is swayed toward protecting the little guy and will usually side with you in the David -vs- Goliath scenerio.

Of course, the best thing you can do, is now that Comcast themselves have told you you have broken the contract...  you are free to get Verizon FiOS or Direct TV.

Message Edited by pratzert on 05-29-2009 12:27 PM
Diamond Problem Solver

pratzert wrote:

I used to be able to reach out to forum moderators and administrators for help, but they don't respond to any requests for help.

Sure they do. Now more than ever. Ever try sending them a PM ?

Frequent Visitor

What's a PM
Gold Problem Solver

PM is a Private Message.  Look at the top right where there is a link which reads "Help with Forums".  Everything you need to know is in there.  Scroll down to read all about how to send a PM as well.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Contributor

EG,

Well good news and bad news.

I don't know who, but I assume opne of the moderators here, passed along my concerns to someone at one of the Comcast offices.

This rep called me during the day while I was at work and left a message saying they were calling about my concerns about my bill.

I called the person back three times and got their voice-mail and left my work number for them to call me.

That was the end of it.....   no more calls.... not at home and not at work.

I can only assume that when this happens, they can tell their boss that they called me.

So I am still in my same predicament....  totally miffed about my $200 plus monthly bill.

I called the 1-800 comcast numebr and asked what date my contract expired so I could cancel, and the rep got agitated and said they don't have that information and that "I" was supposed to keep track of it.

I asked what the termination fee was and she said I could nto cancel my service at all without them taking me to court.

WOW...  good customer service  training you have there Comcast !

Now what ? !

Gold Problem Solver

prazert- All the Mods have their User Id in red with the Comcast logo- you could send a PM to one. 

OK-When you called, did you speak to someone in the Billing department or the Retention Department? I am sorry that this Rep was rude to you.  I will notify a Mod to read your post.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Regular Contributor

CCCarole,

No need for you to apologize for someone else's actions.

I spoke to a rep.   I guess she would have pushed me thru to retention if I said I was going to cancel, but all I was doing was trying to get the facts about what I will be facing if I terminate early.

And to get the exact date my two year commitment terminates so I can either wait until then, or pay the early termination fee.  DTV has a very good deal right now with a 4 room package which INCLUDES the HD-DVR and converters for 3 other rooms and it's considerably cheaper than Comcast and DTV has essentially offered to pay whatever the ETF is.   Plus, VZ FiOS is being installed not too far from me and they say it will be here before long.  And since my costs just keep escalating, I want to look at all my options.

Other than the crazy soaring and sneaky fees, I was basically happy with Comcast.  It's just everyone else I know is taking cuts ( including me at work ) but Comcast keeps adding more and more to my bill.

I am fairly sure my commitment is up this July or August.

Thanks for your input.

Gold Problem Solver

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.  May I just suggest that you read over other offers thoroughly before committment.  Especially introductory packages for new customers... Those packages do end and you may end up paying more than you expect afterwards.  You might want to speak with the Rentention Department anyway- See if they can offer you a package to keep you from switching.  I am not saying they will, but it still another option you may want to consider.

In these economic times we all have to do what is best for us financially and sometimes we must look at the luxuries as the first place to cut the budget.    Being an informed consumer who compares apples to apples and not apples to oranges is key, in my opinion.....Smiley Wink

PS  In the many,many years I have been with Comcast, I have never experienced any 'sneaky fees' that you referred to tho.  CC

Regular Contributor

CCCarole,

Thanks again for your comments.

The "sneaky" fees I refer too have been at least two in the last year or so.

One was a mysterious $1.00 fee that appeared on my bill out of the blue.

I made many, many, many calls to Cust. Svc, Billing, the Comcast Cares thingy and no one could come up with what the "fee" was.

Granted, it was "only a dollar".  But it was a dollar out of MY pocket.  After several tiers of escalation, it was explained it was a "911 fee" that was mandated by the Government.

OK... so why wasn't it marked as such on the bill and therefore stopping all the calls ?  No one has ever been able to explain that.

The other one was a $3.00 fee about 5-6 mopnths ago that showed up.  Once again... no explaination.  I made several calls to Comcast, who has never been able to explain what that $3.00 was for.  The only thing that was close was the modem rental fee, and that was already on the bill elsewhere.

They ended up crediting by bill for the $3.00... but it makes me think that if it happened to me, how many millions of other Comcast customers did not catch it and get a credit.  And most disturbing of all, was why no one at Comcast could tell me what the $3.00 was for.....  the best I got was that it "Must have been a computer glitch".  Hmmmm.... funny how all of those computer "glitch's" seem to put money in their pocket and not mine.

Over the years ( and I've been a Comcast Customer forever ) I have run into other such mysterious fees.

Regular Contributor

CCCarole,

I just got off the phone with a Comcast rep who told me that my price was still the same "Contract" rate I agreed to when I signed up.  ( Premier Triple Play )

The "extra" charges are for the DVR and two additional digi boxes that Comcast gave out for "free".

He further explained that these were "free" for a limited time and that now I must pay for them. Period.

I learned my contract is up July 31st, but I forgot to find out what my early termination cost is.

As I said,  it was a sort of... take it or leave it conversation.

I assume the Cust. Svc rep who called me would trump the retention department.

So after being a Comcast customer since they have been in existance in Maryland.... I think I'll be leaving.

As stated earlier, I have been generally happy with the services offered, but the cost is just out of control.

As I said..... DTV has offered to pay the ETF for me at any point, but since I only have a month and a half before it won't cost anything.  DTV says they will STILL give me the same monetary incentive to go with them, meaning cash in my pocket if I wait until the end of July.  And FiOS is coming very soon as another choice.

After I am gone, I would bet Comcast will keep calling me with offers to get me back.

In MY business, we do what we can to retain customers and not let them go....  it's always take 10 times more effort to get a a customer than to keep a customer.

Gold Problem Solver

Only want to reinforce what I said previously- Do check carefully any fine print of the contract with whomever you go with- if what they offer, and what is included, is an introductory package price which may change after a period of time.  Good luck. 

Regular Contributor

CCCAROLE,

Thanks a lot for the info.  I'll certainly heed your warning.

Another thing which upsets me, is the charge of $8.99 for each additional outlet on my bill, when other people are only being charged $4.95 for an A/O.

It's like I am being punished for getting their top-of-the-line Premium package.

I have a month and a half to go, so I will wait for that to end and go from there.

It's disheartening that Comcast doesn't even TRY to keep me.  It will go toward reinforcing my decision.

A token would have done it... heck an APOLOGY would have done it.  But I didn't get it.