Community Forum

Customer owned modem claimed as rental

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Customer owned modem claimed as rental

In 2012, I purchased a Cisco DPC 3008 from amazon, listed in new condition. I have moved several times, converted to a business account  and back to a residential acct. Comcast is now claiming that my modem is owned by comcast. 

I have submitted an equipment research ticket along with my receipts, but comcast is still not able to mark my modem as customer owned (quote from a nirvana agent). 

I have several issues with this process:

1. If comcast is going to claim that my modem belongs to them, the burden of proof is on them, not on me. If this is the first time that comcast has detected this billing anomaly after six years, it is unfair to suddenly claim ownership. 

2. After searching the forum, this is not the first time this issue has occured. I believe that there is a database issue or application issue within their enterprise apps that is causing this issue. 

3. In order to resolve this issue, I would have to surrender my own property to comcast in order to have the $11 charge permanently removed from my bill. 

4. The logical conclusions of this is that A ) I am a liar, or B ) there is a mistake within the billing system. Over many conversations with comcast billings reps, the company has chosen to take the stance of "customer is a liar". It's like they are doing every thing they can to loose my business. 

5. My lastest ER ticket has not been resolved yet, even after submitting proof of purchase. I have received no notifcations or updates on the ticket. I was told that ER tickets take a few days, up to two weeks to resolve. It now being almost three weeks indicates comcast is purposely not resolving the ticket. 

As you can tell, I am not a happy customer. I feel like this is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Customer owned modem claimed as rental

Unfortunately, this happens a lot.  It's happened to me, as well, and as it was explained to me, the modem ownership status "switch" needs to be flipped in two places by two different departments, which often doesn't happen.  Then, when an automated audit happens, the AI thinks the modem belongs to Comcast and generates the letter.  A Comcast employee will need to address this;  they answer problems in the order they are posted, so it may take a while.

Official Employee

Re: Customer owned modem claimed as rental

Hi ITengineer05, 

Sorry for the experience you're having. I can help get this taken care of for you. Can you please verify your first and last name, full street address, and the phone number or account number associated with your services in a private message? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.