Community Forum

Content Manipulation by Xfinity

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Content Manipulation by Xfinity

Is there a way to make sure that Xfinity will stop Content Manipulation?  I think that Comcast has the best intention to notify me of bandwidth usage but they do it by inserting code into other websites.  Technically it is not any different than the man in the middle attack and any reasonable security suite, including SEP Mobile (even that Symantec is Comcast partner) detect this as compromised network and forces all traffic into VPN tunnel, which is extremely annoying to say at least.

In addition,  I don't believe that Content Manipulation is acceptable even with the best intentions, as a result, does anyone knows a way to stop Xfinity from continuing Content Manipulation?

Thanks,

Vadim

Expert

Re: Content Manipulation by Xfinity

You're talking about service alerts? That's a far cry from "content manipulation" or "man in the middle attacks". All they are doing is sending time-sensitive user alerts.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Content Manipulation by Xfinity

???  based on the most basic definition found on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack: " man-in-the-middle attack (MITM) is an attack where the attacker secretly relays and possibly alters the communication between two parties who believe they are directly communicating with each other".  Comcast modifies communication between me and the website I am opening and Comcast is altering the communication by inserting other code.  So sorry, but I don't see how it is a "far cry" if this is exact definition man-in-the-middle attack (Content Manipulation is the special case of MITM).

I do understand that Comcast has best intention to notify me that I am using up bandwidth, and they are happy to do it at least 3 times a month (at 70%, 80%, 90%, etc...).  Plus they do it with text, email AND Content Manipulation on EACH and EVERY device.  Sorry to say but I think it is excessive. In addition, as I mention above, SEP mobile detects this as MITM, mark network as compromise and forces all the traffic to VPM tunnel.  And it does it 3 times a month, EVERY month.