Community Forum

Comcast will not refund all the money they charged me for a modem I wasn't renting

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Comcast will not refund all the money they charged me for a modem I wasn't renting

This story begins 2 years ago when I purchased my own telephony cablemodem and returned my leased one. Last December, I was looking at my bill to see when my contract was up and discovered that the whole time they have been charging me $11/month for a leased modem. I called Comcast and I gave the support agent my serial #, etc. and verified that it was my own modem. He explained that the computer will automatically add a lease charge if it thinks that I don't have a telephony modem, and it didn't think I had one. So he had to speak to someone to get this squared away, make sure the charge would not re-occur, and authorize a refund for the 18+ months they had been charging me. He was going to call me back, and I believed him. Unfortunately I never heard back.

So I finally called back today since my contract is now over and I no longer "need" telephone or cable TV services. The rep, who was very nice, made the change to Internet only, and told me that I could only get a refund for 4 months of the lease charge. I said that I called back in December, which she verified, and was told it would be taken care of. She spoke with someone and they agreed to give me an extra $40 on top of the 4 months. So I am getting an $83 credit on my next bill for $264 that I paid them over 2 years!! This is not fair! If I owed Comcast money from 1 year or 2 years ago, would they say "oh, don't worry, you don't have to pay us back since it was over 4 months ago"?? NEVER! So why don't they have to pay me back? I understand that the bill states that one has to dispute charges within 120 days, but they also know that people are generally only checking their cable bill when they notice a difference or need to check something. I bet they make a lot of money off of people who don't notice unwarranted charges until after the 4 month period, and then they just don't need to refund it. This seems a bit unethical to me. And even if this is legal, I should minimally be getting a refund for the 4 months prior to December + all the months since then, don't you think?

Has anyone else run into this, and if so, how did you handle it?

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast will not refund all the money they charged me for a modem I wasn't renting

Anon337957 I understand your dilemma. In May I was promised a one-time installation fee credit. Unfortunately, the fee was added to my June bill. I guess my new hobby will be to check to every month for the adding of this installation fee. As of today my motto is: “In God I trust everybody else I check.” I hope that your issue is resolved soon.