Community Forum

Comcast made a hard pull without my permission

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Comcast made a hard pull without my permission

I am very close to closing in on my house and was shocked to receive an alert today that Comcast did a hard inquiry on my account. Yesterday I was in the process of making a new application for my services at my new house but left the application incomplete. Also I am have my details with comcast for the past 10 months as my apartment comes pre-hooked up with Comcast. This hard pull may impact my credit score and may cause isssues with my loan process for my house.

Comcast - please fix your online account registration process because obviously its automatically pulling credit even on partially completed applications that too on customers who are already in your file.

I would like to have this inquiry removed from my report please.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Comcast made a hard pull without my permission

It's standard practice now for comcast and many service providers to either 1 do a credit check or 2 require a deposit. There really is no way around it anymore.
New Poster

Why would they do a hard pull on an existing customer based on an unfinished online application?

Bronze Problem Solver

That's a good question perhaps it's a automatic process that occurs when an application is submitted although if it was not filled out all the way it should have never been done. Thats why I don't like doing that sort of thing online to many things can go wrong it's always best to speak with them directly. Sorry but what's done is done just remember for the next time.
Valued Contributor

Did you complete the app and just not schedule an appointment? 

Every service providers this day and age pulls credit .........Even the water company. It is to determine not only if you need a deposit  but to verify your identity. It used to be people could call in, give a fake name and fake ss#. Never pay a bill and the company ( any company) was left in debt from a scammer. Now a credit check not only determines if you will pay your bill  ( aka need a deposit) but will tell them if you gave a real name and ss#, your address history ( protects people from fraud like someone stealing their ss# and getting services without them knowing about it) and if your ID has been stolen before. It also protects Comcast because if on your credit check it shows you living at your house for ( example) 5 years and there is 9 accounts with bad debts during that time they will refuse to install you 

New Poster

I didn't complete the app and even while I was at it I was at the page where I was willing to pay the refundable deposit of $50 without doing a credit pull. I would never go for a pull with my home loan application close to approval. Also as I said I am an existing customer which makes it even more frustrating that they would do this for me.

Valued Contributor

I honestly don't even know if paying the deposit will waive the credit pull anymore. I know where I work ( for the city) it doesn't. The reason why is we use it to curb  scammers from committing ID theft ( verify your address history and verify you are using a real ss# that matches your name) and use it to prevent us from being scammed ( a lot of people like to not pay their bill and then try and  get service under a different  name while still owing us money and that is fraud) . If they don't pay under one name they probably aren't going to pay under another and we use the address history in the credit report to verify if they lived there before and how long they have been there. 

That being said they really should of warned you that 'hey if you put your ss# in here we will pull your credit no matter what', ya know? 

Valued Contributor

If you knew you didn't want your credit pulled why would you even enter your Social Security number at this point.  That is the only way to pull hard credit.  And they must notify you before doing so

New Poster

Guess what, now I went back to complete my application and paid $50 deposit so they don't pull credit history (though as I mentioned before I am an existing customer) they did a hard pull again!! this is NUTS! is there anyone I can contact in Comcast so these two hard pulls can be removed from my report?

Expert

To get help, your best option is to contact Comcast Corporate Customer Service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com). You can also ask for help via Twitter (@ComcastCares), Facebook or the Comcast Direct Forum.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I have been with comcast for years. They are constantly asking me to upgrade my sevice. I called them to see what they had to offer. First they tried to put me on some 2 years contract, told them I was not going to do that, settled on the triple play just to add the phone for a fax line. The phone line still doesn't work after paying for it for months. I had to talk to two CS reps to get anything straight. The second CSR told me there would be no pull because I have been a customer in good standing for several years and have service at three of our homes. . Just checked my credit report, after specifically asking if the pull was hard or soft, the customer service person put me on hold and then came back to tell me it was hard pull. I told him NO. I have a hard pull on my report and I am fuming!!! Not only did I expressly tell him in no uncertain terms NOT to check it, but he did anyway. Why on earth would they think it's OK to lie to their customers???? I am so disgusted  and I want it removed! Where can I go to get contact info for someone who can facilitate the removal?

Contributor

Comcast doesn't control your credit report.  The credit bureaus do.  The only way to remove anything is to contact the bureaus.  And Comcast doesn't care about you, that's pretty obvious.  So give up on even trying to go through them.