Community Forum

Comcast is charging me for an owned modem

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Comcast is charging me for an owned modem

Hi

Every 2 or 3 months, comcast will increase the bill by $11 and ask me to pay for a rented modem. Although I never asked for one and never received one. The customer service over char/phone are following some obselete procedures and everyone is trying to send me to someone else so they don't take responsibility.

The funny thing is that I'm the one who should proof that I don't have their modem not vice versa! And I am the one who should stop doing whatever I'm doing to drive all the way to a comcast office to show them the modem.

I know many of you are having the same issue, so please share your experince maybe someone from the management will can fix this old billing system.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Comcast is charging me for an owned modem

For me, it was every year after buying my modem and returning Comcast's to them, although I do believe it may have been resolved for good a few months back. As it was explained to me, the modem ownership status "switch" needs to be flipped in two places by two different departments, which often doesn't happen.  Then, when an automated audit happens, the AI thinks the modem belongs to Comcast and generates the letter.  It's a common problem, so hang tight.  One of the employees should be here soon to address the problem.

Official Employee

Hey blackhat, 

I can help with your billing and equipment concerns. Can you please verify your first and last name, full street address, and the phone number or account number associated with your services in a private message? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

New Poster

I had this problem for years...they will never fix it.  Every few months they will scan whatever and 'claim' your modem as their own.  It is aggravating to have to constantly call to get it straightened out.  

The only solution I have found is to buy a non-Motorola modem, (or any other brand that Comcast issues in your area).  I bought a TP-Link modem over a year ago and have not had it 'claimed' by Comcast since.  YMMV but that is what worked for me.

Bronze Problem Solver

You'd think that would work, wouldn't you?  However, my modem isn't one that Comcast issues.  One of the Comcast folks i spoke with noted that, and rhetorically wondered why it was still being claimed. 

I do hope it continues to work for you!

Regular Visitor

Still waiting for a response..

Official Employee

Hi @blackhat

I've just received a status update for your request. I'll be replying to our private messages with their findings.