Community Forum

Comcast charges to reset up defective modems

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Comcast charges to reset up defective modems

In December Comcast sold me over the phone an internet/tv package which required a modem in order to work. I agreed and they sent a modem to me through the mail. I hooked it up with no problem. Unfortunately, it did not work. I called Comcast who sent signals to get it to work but with no success. Eventually after many trial and error connections, the Comcast operator determined that a service person would have to come out to fix the problem. There was no mention of a service fee to do this. A service man was dispatched a few days later and confirmed that the connections were set up correctly but the modem itself was defective. He replaced the modem and the tv began working. The next month I discovered a $60 service fee. I called and explained to Comcast that the problem which required a technician to fix was an equipment issue, not an installation issue. Comcast said they would remove the $60 charge and give me a $10 credit for inconvenience. The next month, the $60 charge was still on the bill so I called again. This time Comcast said the charge would stand. At that time I told Comcast to send me my final bill and I would go to a different provider. Comcast did not send a final bill. So this month, I asked again to shut off the service and I talked with another representative of Comcast who said they would shut it off on April 3rd so I can get service with another provider. So who thinks the customer should have to pay a $60 fee because the equipment sent to operate the service is defective? If the equipment sent worked the way it was supposed to I wouldn't be on this forum. 

Admin1

Re: Comcast charges to reset up defective modems

Hi tccmarkets -- I can explain that charge to you. When you setup an account you're given the option to have a tech install or self-install. From what you've said, you elected to do a self-install. Since you weren't able to complete this installation on your own, we had to send out a tech to complete the installation. This does result in a charge since the tech is performing an installation. 

New Poster

I did complete the install on my own. The problem was not the installers (me) fault it was that the equipment Comcast sent to be installed was defective. If the equipment was operational, the self installation would have worked just fine. If your telling me that once Comcast sends an self installer equipment, their responsibility ends and they do not stand behind the products they send, then there is a much bigger issue at hand. If not, buck up and either send another modem or have a technician in the area drop one off which is basically what they did. 

Admin1

tccmarkets -- You also mentioned that you had TV service and that this service did not work until the tech came. This shows that neither service was working until the tech came to complete the install. Based on what you've said, this was more than a faulty modem and required a tech to complete an install.