Community Forum

Charged for my own modem

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Charged for my own modem

My story is a familiar one for many recently who have purchased their own modem and are caught up in Comcast's "audits".

I believe these audits to be nothing more than a scan on their network for MAC addresses with OUI matches for modems that they deploy... which essentially says "ALL devices who MAC address starts with DC:45:17  belong to Comcast."    This is very disingenuous because the MAC address is NOT the serial number on most devices including mine.  I.E.  There are 2 seperate serial numbers and also MAC address printed on my device.  

I've owned my own modem for life of account. 

After 1st year, received a notice that modem was "rented"... and again about every 6mo afterwards... when they performed "audits."

Billing has always reversed these charges after explanation and I've even provided soft copies of my invoice to attempt to resolve permanently.

Now recently when I've approached chat or phone agents,  Comcast has taken the position that I'm a liar,  my provided invoice is not proof,  and that buying from amazon (which they link to themselves as recommended modems) isn't "suggested."

I've had them open an ER ticket which came back saying Comcast owned the modem.  This is not true!  This is my property.

The agent removed my modem fee "again this month" however I've been told to present my printed invoice to the nearest billing office.    This is an extreme hardship to put on any customer...   I explained my personal hardship to the agent who was sympathetic and he reversed the $11 charge, "this month"  but said after talking with a supervisor, that he could only open another ER ticket and that I could provide my proof of purchase through that ticket. (ER#046287472).   I have not been contacted yet to provide this proof, which I will happily do.   

This is a common issue by reading these forums.   I urge Comcast to re-examine their stance on this issue.    Customer action is inevitable. 

If there is any assistance to be had from the support team here,  I'd greatly appreciate their efforts to resolve this without a visit to an office. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Charged for my own modem

Can any one assist me here? 

I'll be glad to return and pay for the equipment as soon as you can provide me a location history of the modem and proof of purchase / inventory in Comcast's system.

Official Employee

im_no_ser--Let's check on that ticket. Please send me a private message with your full name and phone number tied to your residential services for help.

Frequent Visitor

I replied per your request. Thanks. 

Official Employee

I replied per your request. Thanks. 

im_no_ser, thanks, I just returned to the office. I will respond now.

Official Employee

im_no_ser, the necessary corrections have been made regarding the charge for your modem. See our private messages for more info.