Community Forum

Charge for "additional equipment" and "data overage"

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Charge for "additional equipment" and "data overage"

I switched  from my old provider to Xfinity's Premier Triple Play in October of 2017 and did so solely because of comparable services AND price. I was happy with my previous service / provider, with  but found Comcast's offer too much to pass up....I'd be paying the same price for everything I had bundled with them (including all of the premium channels) but would have a much faster Internet speed (my deciding factor). The price I was quoted was $164.99 / month, plus taxes / fees. I added a couple of premium channels (which I had with my previous company) to my package, which should have brought my monthly bill to $175.00 + taxes. My bills have been coming in at around $225 every month and couldn't figure out why. I come to find that I'm being charged $25 per month for an "additional outlet / equipment fee", AND a $8 Broadcast Fee AND a $6.75 Regional Sports Fee. I tried an online Chat here with an Agent to try to get this corrected / resolved, but was told that those "were valid charges".....the Broadcast and Sports fee aren't able to be removed (even though I was very specific with her that I don't watch sports on TV and am paying that $6.75 for something I don't utilize) and that the $25 additional outlet / equipment fee was for a "box" that was over the amount of free one's I'm provided with (TO ALLOW ME TO VIEW THE SERVICE I'M PAYING FOR!!!!!). I explained to her that I have the same amount of connections I had with previous provider and was never charged for any additional equipment when I was with them. She said the only way to do away with that charge was to return the box.....gee, let's see, should I take away my 11 year old Autistic Granddaughter's TV or my 6 year old Grandson's TV....that was ludicrous thing for her to give me as a remedy. I quickly ended that chat and tried calling support via my phone before I became too angry. I was told the exact same thing my the gentleman I talked to so that call was brief so I didn't get any angrier than I already was. Thus here I am!!!!!

My total bill when I was with my previous company came in at around $190 (total) for all the same identical services (albeit a somewhat slower Internet speed....but it was still more than adaquate for me and my Grand Children), and am now paying about $30 - $35 more per month with Xfinity for the SAME SERVICES / OUTLETS I had with them. When I signed up for service, I locked in for 2 years, which at the time seemed like a great deal, but now am so sorry I did because of these (to put it mildly), "hidden charges". I'm 57 years old and have never broken a contract before, but am giving great thought into breaking this 1 and returning my services to a company (my previous one) that is not underhanded and can provide me with the services promised for the price quoted to me.

On top of this, I've been getting "Data Overage" notice e-mail very frequently. I had no idea what they were, but when I investigated, I found that I'm allotted a specific amount of data per month (1 T, and anything over that is charged $10 extra for every 50 GB over.....up to $200 per month. I exceeded the allotted data the past 2 months, but I guess I'm allowed 2 free months to do it and not be charged, so I wasn't required to pay anything extra....YET. I'm now in danger of going over this month, so I'm about to have the privilege of paying even more to Xfinity. There is an option for me to receive unlimited data at a charge of $50 per month to avoid those charges, but once again, up goes my bill. I went from being happy with my past Company's services for $190 / month, and am now forced to pay close to $90 / month more with Comcast for the same services / outlets.....not a good trade off!!!! If I weren't so angry, I'd probably find it comical that I got taken for a fool (shame on me), but I am that angry so I'm not amused at all. Unlimited data @ $50 extra per month for utilizing a super fast Internet connection that dictates my going over my allocated GB's by using it, $25 extra per month for having the privilege of allowing my grand children to watch TV in their rooms (which I never was charged for by my previous provider) and $6.75 extra per month for a sports fee (which I'll never utililize).....my great deal of $164.99 per month isn't anywhere in the same universe as a good deal at all. I went from being a happy customer to an EXTREMELY unhappy one.....and it took me a whole 2 days to be one.....please everyone, look before you leap!!!!!!! Jim Quarto

Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: Charge for "additional equipment" and "data overage"

What do I need to do to have my issues remidied?

Expert

@JimQ1960 wrote:

I switched  from my old provider to Xfinity's Premier Triple Play in October of 2017 and did so solely because of comparable services AND price. I was happy with my previous service / provider, with  but found Comcast's offer too much to pass up....I'd be paying the same price for everything I had bundled with them (including all of the premium channels) but would have a much faster Internet speed (my deciding factor). The price I was quoted was $164.99 / month, plus taxes / fees. I added a couple of premium channels (which I had with my previous company) to my package, which should have brought my monthly bill to $175.00 + taxes. My bills have been coming in at around $225 every month and couldn't figure out why. I come to find that I'm being charged $25 per month for an "additional outlet / equipment fee", AND a $8 Broadcast Fee AND a $6.75 Regional Sports Fee. I tried an online Chat here with an Agent to try to get this corrected / resolved, but was told that those "were valid charges".....the Broadcast and Sports fee aren't able to be removed (even though I was very specific with her that I don't watch sports on TV and am paying that $6.75 for something I don't utilize) and that the $25 additional outlet / equipment fee was for a "box" that was over the amount of free one's I'm provided with (TO ALLOW ME TO VIEW THE SERVICE I'M PAYING FOR!!!!!). I explained to her that I have the same amount of connections I had with previous provider and was never charged for any additional equipment when I was with them. She said the only way to do away with that charge was to return the box.....gee, let's see, should I take away my 11 year old Autistic Granddaughter's TV or my 6 year old Grandson's TV....that was ludicrous thing for her to give me as a remedy. I quickly ended that chat and tried calling support via my phone before I became too angry. I was told the exact same thing my the gentleman I talked to so that call was brief so I didn't get any angrier than I already was. Thus here I am!!!!!

My total bill when I was with my previous company came in at around $190 (total) for all the same identical services (albeit a somewhat slower Internet speed....but it was still more than adaquate for me and my Grand Children), and am now paying about $30 - $35 more per month with Xfinity for the SAME SERVICES / OUTLETS I had with them. When I signed up for service, I locked in for 2 years, which at the time seemed like a great deal, but now am so sorry I did because of these (to put it mildly), "hidden charges". I'm 57 years old and have never broken a contract before, but am giving great thought into breaking this 1 and returning my services to a company (my previous one) that is not underhanded and can provide me with the services promised for the price quoted to me.

On top of this, I've been getting "Data Overage" notice e-mail very frequently. I had no idea what they were, but when I investigated, I found that I'm allotted a specific amount of data per month (1 T, and anything over that is charged $10 extra for every 50 GB over.....up to $200 per month. I exceeded the allotted data the past 2 months, but I guess I'm allowed 2 free months to do it and not be charged, so I wasn't required to pay anything extra....YET. I'm now in danger of going over this month, so I'm about to have the privilege of paying even more to Xfinity. There is an option for me to receive unlimited data at a charge of $50 per month to avoid those charges, but once again, up goes my bill. I went from being happy with my past Company's services for $190 / month, and am now forced to pay close to $90 / month more with Comcast for the same services / outlets.....not a good trade off!!!! If I weren't so angry, I'd probably find it comical that I got taken for a fool (shame on me), but I am that angry so I'm not amused at all. Unlimited data @ $50 extra per month for utilizing a super fast Internet connection that dictates my going over my allocated GB's by using it, $25 extra per month for having the privilege of allowing my grand children to watch TV in their rooms (which I never was charged for by my previous provider) and $6.75 extra per month for a sports fee (which I'll never utililize).....my great deal of $164.99 per month isn't anywhere in the same universe as a good deal at all. I went from being a happy customer to an EXTREMELY unhappy one.....and it took me a whole 2 days to be one.....please everyone, look before you leap!!!!!!! Jim Quarto

More bad news.  Breaking the contract now will cost you an early termination fee, which is $10 x the number of months remaining on your contract.

Whether you watch sports or not, sports is included in your tv package, so that charge is valid.  Ditto for the Broadcast fees.  These are subject to increase at any time, but usually once a year.

Each television set requires a box of some sorts in order to receive the channels.  Therefore, equipment fees are valid as well as the outlet charge.

Then you have the taxes and surcharges levied by your local government.  These, too, are subject to increase, but usually not often.

And, if you have a promotion, look for that service to go to the every day price when it is over.

The semi-good news is that you can downgrade either your tv or internet without any charge.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hi, JimQ1960 - I can check if we have any better promotions in your area. Please send me a private message with your full name, the account holder's name and address as it listed on the billing statement, a phone or an account number. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Private Message Me. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!