Community Forum

Charge for a service call that was not our fault.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Charge for a service call that was not our fault.

Today, March 14th, 2018 - I spoke with a manager on the line for cusotmer service after seeing on my bill that I am being charge $60.00 for a tech call to the 'property'. I explained to her that the only reason I agreed to a service call was because I was ASSURED multiple times that there would NOT BE A FEE if a problem was found to no fault of our own. She stated to me that unfortunately some of the reps are not informing customers of the CORRECT wording and that no matter what, there WILL BE A CHARGE. I am not sure how (multiple, as I called Comcast more times than can be counted) - how every one of the reps could not make it clear there will be a charge. Multiple times, I asked, 'Are you sure there will not be a service charge?' - again I was assured there would not be as they seen with all of the calls I made and the multiple tests on my modem; that there must be an issue; so I agreed. On March 5th, a tech came straight to the main box, which is not located on our property, having found a problem at XFINITYS own main frame box, he told us he needed to re-wire it to our home as it was not done correctly the previous time. Splitters as well as the 'prong' leading into our modem had to be replaced. He stated that it was a 'daisy chain' - we were at a NEGATIVE 10ghz. For a year we had been dealing with loss of internet for long period of times, loss of cable service. He told us that the 'prong' insde of the metal piece leading directly into the modem from their line was 'fried' because of the mainbox and the daisy chain, basically us TRYING to connect to the internet. For months we paid for a service we were barely receiving with constant calls to customer service, with EVERY REP telling me the same thing, if it is on Xfinity's end, we would not be charged the tech visit (which again the supervisor clarified to me that the reps were indeed giving out the wrong information and would be 'spoken to').

The service tech man here was EXTREMELY HELPEFUL and very knowledgeable; (forgive my spelling). He explained in great length that we were 'barely' receiving a signal from the main box, that the wiring (which was installed by Comcast) was incorrectly installed (daisy chained), that the wrong adapters were used, and that the line leading to our modem had 'fried' due to the main box shorting due to the 'daisy chain' ---- so basically us constantly trying to get a signal when there was never one available, at least not a reliable one. At NEGATIVE 10mgz he was surprised we were getting a signal at all.

To sum this up. I was INDEED charged the $60.00 fee - because she said he needed to come onto our property. That the cable lines are OUR responsibility to maintain. The problem stemmed from the main box, not on our property, as well as lines installed by the comapny themselves, incorrectly. I am simply dumbfounded as to ......... Reps telling me there will be no charge - her admitting that indeed they are giving false/incomplete information, paying a fee for the main box, paying the fee for wires run incorrectly, etc. I simply can not express my frustrations for paying such a large sum of money for a service we barely were able to access and to add insult to injury, a fee to finally recieve the services we were promised.

Before agreeing to having the service tech visit, I clarified I simply could not afford such a fee, again I was ASSURED that indeed there would be NO CHARGE as surely it was the fault of the wiring, etc. It was a chain affect from the main box. How could I possibly have known this or fixed it myself, which she told me was MY responsibility to do.

So, the fee of $60.00 is on my bill - which she stated is in fact company policy. If in fact it is, then why are reps not aware of this and telling me to not worry?

Being in a neighborhood association, I reached out to neighbors regarding the information they receieved as well when placing calls about not having service, they too were told that there would 'not be a fee' if the problem was found to be on the fault of Xfiinity. (Still, they are stating this information).

I am at a loss, truly. Of course having internet/cable is a luxury, one of the very few we can have, and actually need to have as our child is doing some of the classes for school thru internet learning. Paying a lot of money, trusting we would indeed recieve what we pay for, and trusting in the customer service reps I've spoken to. My biggest fear was this charge, I trusted Xfininty to follow through with the information I was given.

Thank you for your time to read this. Any help, please, would be greatly appreciated. I am frustrated, I am disappointed, I am at a loss as to how to come up with so much extra money (especially at a time when a 'contract' has just ended and my bill has already sky-rocketed, again.........

Regular Visitor

Re: Charge for a service call that was not our fault.

I'm sorry, the tech visitied us on March 3rd, my birthday -------- not March 5th as my bill entails it said the tech was here.

Expert

Oh boy, you got a lot going on there. So just to clarify some things:

1. There is not always a charge for a tech visit. If the problem is the outside lines or with Comcast's equipment, customers are not charged.
  2. If the tech finds that the primary problem is with home wiring, that would generate a fee. The reason for this is that the homeowner owns the lines after 30 days -- even if Comast did the original installation. 
  3. There is no such thing as a "main box" and "daisy chained" wiring would only make the signal weak, not cause anything to "fry".
  4. If your contract just ended, ask if there are new deals available to you
  5. I the future, if you need service, sign up for the Service Protection Plan (SPP). It's around $6 a month and you must keep it for at least 60 days after your service call. If you have SPP, you won't incur a service charge. You can sign up when you schedule an appointment.

So it sounds like the fee is a legitimate fee, but an employee may be able to help you with some kind of courtesy credit. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello, I can assist you further from here if you would like. Would you mind if I look at your account?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Please do, thank you so much for taking the time to look.

(I'm sorry I used the wrong wording up above, it was the locked box across the alley behind our house that the technician was working with and getting barely a signal for our hom)

Again, thank you for taking the time - I look forward to hearing from you.

Admin1

lukatblueyez1 -- Please send myself or ComcastShane a PM with your name, full service address, and either phone number or account number for authentication purposes. We'll be able to access your account with that information. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.