Community Forum

Changing name on account after death of formerly named owner

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Changing name on account after death of formerly named owner

I encountered a great deal of unnecessary difficulty in changing the name on my Xfinity account after the death of my wife, whose name had been on it previously.  Indeed, I have been working on it for several months, with only modest success.  There been a gauntlet of obstacles thrown in my path--at, obviously, a difficult time for me personally--in trying to make what should be a fairly simple transaction.  First, the customer service reps I spoke with on the phone all insisted that I had to go in person to a Comcast store and request the change, despite the fact that no such store exists in my area (one closed down about a year ago).  

Finally, I got a rep who seemed to understand the problem and promised to help me resolve it.  After conferring with several colleagues (time I spent waiting on the phone--for at least 30 minutes), she proposed that the only way to make the change was to close the old account and open a new one in my name.  She promised to work this out and would call me back to finalize things.  However, I received no return call at the appointed time.  So I had to call Xfinity back again and start the whole process all over.  

After more delay, I was told that the plan was in place, and my new account was created.  However, when I received my next statement from Xfinity, it still used the old account number.  I thought this would be a simple fix and used an online chat to take care of it.  But this too resulted in considerable delay.  I chatted with to reps, taking almost an hour, and they are still working it out, telling me that I could expect a call back in a day or two.  All this, just to change the last five digits on an account number??  This seems to me bizarre.  I simply don't understand why so much time and delay is required to accomplish a simple task.  Technology is supposed to save time, not protract it!

Official Employee

Re: Changing name on account after death of formerly named owner

Hi, ronwalker45 - I'm sorry for your loss and for the experience you got. I can check the status of your account and see if the new account has been opened properly. Please send me a private message and include your full name, the account holder's name as it's listed on the billing statement, a phone or an account number. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!