Community Forum

Burying cable

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Burying cable

How is coax cable supposed to be buried? With conduit, or just bare coax cable laying in the ground? Yesterday comcast contractors supposedly buried the cable. When I cam home I found that they just put a cable in the ground without any conduit. Is this right?

Official Employee

Re: Burying cable

Hello dimal, the techs will not use any type of conduit to bury the line. The line can be buried alone with no cover or tube to protect it, please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thank you for your reply. Please look at these pictures, this is how it looks right now. The conduit is just 1 yard long.  And  connector that connects the new coax to the old one is still on the ground. Do you think subcontractors are done with their work and now it is time for comcast tech to finish it? By the way, the old cable goes around the house and there goes int a croll space. Were they supposed to bring this new cable close to that pointand put some kind of box to weather-protect the connector ? 

2018-04-19 17.45.52.jpg
2018-04-19 17.46.01.jpg
2018-04-19 17.46.15.jpg
Admin1

dimal -- You would be correct that the connector should be placed in a weather proof box to protect it from the elements. I can get a tech to come out to install one. Please send me a PM with your name, full service address, and either phone number or account number for authentication. 

Click my name (ComcastZach) and click Private Message Me. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Hi ComcastZach,

I still do not understand: were they supposed to bring their cable closer to the entry point (around the corner, additional 8-10 yards, or just to the closest wall, as they did? The cable they connect to already consists of small pieacec and has a couple of connectors. Wouldnot it be better if it was a single cable from your box to the splitter in the crawl space? Or at least a single connector near the entry point?

Also, what is the role of this plastic tube in this case?

Thank you,

Admin1

dimal -- The current cable run was done as it should be. The only part missing is the weather box that the connector should be in. The connector is necessary, rather than running a single drop to your splitter, because of the line types. The line coming out of the tube is RG-11. This cable connects to your service pedestal/tap and is not meant to go indoors. The tube is a protection cover for that RG-11 cable.