Community Forum

Additional cost of keeping an X1 Box plus Roku Ultra and a Tivo...

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Additional cost of keeping an X1 Box plus Roku Ultra and a Tivo...

Hi. I recently got talked into upgrading my service. It appealed so I did. I was told I could use Roku boxes in every room to avoid additional fees. So I got two Roku Ultras. I installed one and the other sits in it's package awaiting it's fate. I also looked into buying a Tivo with Lifetime service already attached to avoid even more fees. I looked into what I would need for it and it says a cable card. Cool, I looked into that because I really want to switch away from X1. My DVR has been more than 3/4s full for over a year because there are shows my family refuses to part with. I want the Tivo ability to download (or store way more). I was going to keep the DVR for the next year because it would be free while I did my best to rerecord onto Tivo the shows they don't want to lose. In doing my homework I came across mentions of additional outlet charges. So I read about those and called Comcast. They said there would be no additional fees but looking deeper I see other people who heard the same and got charged anyway. My current cost is literally the limit of what I will pay. The absolute roof. So, is there someone who really knows?

The Roku Ultra currently uses the Xfinity Stream app beta. When it leaves beta there will be a fee? Or is there one now? If so when and what?

Is Tivo requesting a cable card going to cost me $9.95 - $2.50 own equipment credit i.e $7.45 a month? I have read if you have a card in the X1 Box you can't even have a Tivo at the same time, though what I read did not explain why.

I need to ease my family away from the X1 box but right now I am seriously considering calling back and just dropping down to Internet alone and going for Slingbox and all those alternative streaming options.

Additional fee-wise, what am I honestly looking at? I have zero desire to call back Comcast and play find the human. I just want to know what I am looking at, really looking at.

New Poster

Re: Additional cost of keeping an X1 Box plus Roku Ultra and a Tivo...

Sighs. Hours of customer service chat later and I have my answer. I am posting it for others who wonder as well. The Rokus without cable cards will have no charge. Any Tivo (in addition to the current X1 box) will cost $9.95 a month if it also gets a cable card.