Community Forum

250GB Cap questions

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Re: 250GB Cap questions

EECal wrote:

I am absolutely not against the cap.  Without a cap or limitation, the Internet service will certainly be misused and abused.  For example, my son would have multiple Chrome tabs open streaming from Youtube the same time, but he would not be watching any of them but playing he's online game.  Certain restrictions are necessary and I took the opportunity to educate him not to do that any more.  If you open a Youtube video, watch it or close it.

However, by today's standard, 250GB isn't that much any more.  I would use 3GB a night easily.  For a 3-people household as mine, that would be 3*3*30 = 270GB.  This cap was set back in Oct. 2008 and will be 3 years old very soon.  What Comcast should be doing is constantly monitoring the trend (they have the stats), adjust the cap and upgrade their network accordingly.

At a bare minimum, they should update the messages on the Usage page(http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?guid=ce29dfac-73d9-4cb4-b433-70abe3b295e6) saying things like "Currently, the median data usage by XFINITY Internet customers is approximately 4 - 6 GB each month" and "The vast majority - more than 99% - of our customers will not be impacted by a 250 GB monthly data usage threshold."  The info on this page is certainly a far cry from today's reality in July 2011.

This is absolutely insane and leads me to believe you have very little understand of how networking, the internet, computers and technology in general work.

Why should a customer not be allowed to use what they pay for? If comcast cannot support all the customers they sold accounts to because they don't have the infrastucture to support all the people they charge money too then they should be held liable.

As a metaphor, its like if comcast was selling bananas, but they only had 8 but they sold one each to 10 people. Then you are suggesting that its the customers fault when they want to eat the whole banana they bought a whole banana because comcast only has 8. Well comcast should have never sold 10 bannas then until they had the last 2.

Frequent Visitor

I believe that the 250 GB number was provided after a request from the attorney general in Florida.  I know for a fact that Comcast forced very high users to reduce usage or get business service back around 2003 or so.  Back then the threshold was 50GB before the usage overloaded the local equipment.  The actual limit is based on the ability of the equipment in an area to handle the usage.  The cable internet system is designed more for downloading than uploading, so probably if you used 250 GB with a high proportion of it from uploading photos, backups, or torrents you would probably get notification fairly quickly.  If your usage was mostly downloading, like watching streaming video you could probably use quite a lot more before overloading your node.  Also, there probably an allowance for streaming quite a bit since Comcast provides quite a bit of streaming itself, and would want people to experience it.  However, they probably will tell someone hammering the upload very heavily about the limit, and it sounds like most of the people having problems have been doing this.  The high usage throttling system along with the wideband upgrades probably have allowed the cap to be less of an issue than back in 2008.

Contributor

A 50G limit in 2003!   Overload their equipment!   It seems you are offering information that is inaccurate.  It is impossible to overload network equipment with data usage.   It is capable of delivering a maximum data speed. If many people are moving data,  it is just spread thinner among the users, therefore each user sees a drop in data speed.   The first and only limit Comcast has ever had is the 250G.

Comcast has no idea what you are downloading or uploading, if they did they would be charged with privacy invasion.   So they can't allow a higher cap for streaming and a lower cap for online backup.   That would also be against the FCC's Net neutrality regulation.

Frequent Visitor

programmer wrote:

Elginr wrote:

The cap is normal and nothing new. All providers do it, whether they show it to you in your face or it's in the fine print, its there. This also includes cell phones, most are at 5GB a month.

These complaints have no basis. There are options available to remove the cap, of course it is more money, but you are asking for more services.

You have 3 options:

1) Monitor your usage and manage it appropriately

2) Pay the extra money for the business line which has no cap (currently)

3) Go to another provider who's cap is much smaller (FIOS and Uverse both are 150GB I believe)

So you are under the belief the customers have no right to request changes from the companies they pay money too?

The cap is not "nothing new", it is new. It is a new trend by ISP to sell "unlimited" internet but then have limits. And it is not appropriate because it is disingenuous. It also punishes people for using the product that they pay for.

To be honest I do much more then 250 GB without even trying, and I don't think people should be punished for actually using the product that they paid for.

What is going on here is that comcast is saving money by not investing into their infrastructure and selling more plans then it can currently sustain so they initiate download caps so that they can sell more product they actually have an infrastructure to sustain. It allows them to increase profits with very little investment, this is great for stockholders but bad for customers.

Yes, the customers have the right to request more services. I also agree the cap is very limited, at my current speed with Comcast, I can blow through the cap in 1 day.

It's not about Comcast's infrastructure, they have more than enough to handle what they sell, the FCC requires that 50% of your speed be available. It's a money thing plain and simple, they want more of it.

I personally am just tired of complaining myself and others complaining. More power to you if it gets us (customers) somewhere.

Frequent Visitor

Barmar wrote:

Froogle wrote:

Have had a 16mbps connection, halfway into my 4th month.  Just checked my usage charts and I've exceeded the 250gb "cap" by ~100-200gb each month.  I have had no phone calls, or even warning emails to my personal and comcast email accounts.  This kinda makes me feel as if it's just an empty threat on their side... or maybe enforcement is different depending on which area you have service from?

Either way, I was not warned nor informed about this cap.  I would've never known if I hadn't seen this thread.  Don't get me wrong, I do support a cap, just not this cap, possibly 750gb?

Comcast announced it publically when they instituted the cap back in 2008. It's probably mentioned somewhere in the customer agreement you get when you sign up for service.

As you noticed, going over the cap doesn't automatically cause a notice. You also have to be one of the heaviest users. And because of the increase in use of streaming services like Netflix, many more users are hitting the cap these days (it was only a fraction of a percent when they established it 3 years ago). So unless you're the worst of the worst, you'll be OK.

Agreed, the cap was active 3 years ago, based on data that was probably 2 or 3 years old at the time. The cap is completely unrealistic in 2011 times. Not to mention that streaming a movie via the Comcast portal goes against your usage, even though it was offered as a 'free' priviledge.

Frequent Visitor

Froogle wrote:

Have had a 16mbps connection, halfway into my 4th month.  Just checked my usage charts and I've exceeded the 250gb "cap" by ~100-200gb each month.  I have had no phone calls, or even warning emails to my personal and comcast email accounts.  This kinda makes me feel as if it's just an empty threat on their side... or maybe enforcement is different depending on which area you have service from?

Either way, I was not warned nor informed about this cap.  I would've never known if I hadn't seen this thread.  Don't get me wrong, I do support a cap, just not this cap, possibly 750gb?

Keep in mind that most I do is stream HD netflix/amazon prime, listen to pandora one HD radio, game, and browse.  I also have two family members that are heavy internet users along with friends/family who frequent the place with their devices.  I did happen to reformat my computer one month and redownloaded all (~65) of my Steam games again which is most likely why I went well over 450gb one month.  This cap is ridiculous.... I can't even imagine bothering to upgrade to the Extreme50 plan now - seeing as I hear that has the exact same 250gb soft-cap.

P.S.  Anyone know if uploading affects usage?  I sync-backup all my drives which at the moment contain around ~950gb.  I am also planning on scanning/backing up a lot of high-res older photos, etc. so I really don't want to be pushing 600gb+ usage next month if it makes me lose my service...

Your usage should be based on both downloads and uploads. The cap was in the agreement, it may have been a fine print, but it was there. If you were a current subscriber you should have received either an email or direct mail stating the change to the policy.

Frequent Visitor

Clark75115 wrote:

A 50G limit in 2003!   Overload their equipment!   It seems you are offering information that is inaccurate.  It is impossible to overload network equipment with data usage.   It is capable of delivering a maximum data speed. If many people are moving data,  it is just spread thinner among the users, therefore each user sees a drop in data speed.   The first and only limit Comcast has ever had is the 250G.

Comcast has no idea what you are downloading or uploading, if they did they would be charged with privacy invasion.   So they can't allow a higher cap for streaming and a lower cap for online backup.   That would also be against the FCC's Net neutrality regulation.

It is very possible to overload network equipment with data usage, call a network bottleneck. Or more commonly know through the internet a denial of service (DOS). That's all a DOS is a large number of requests across a network or server that cannot handle the requests.

Comcast has every right to know what you are downloading and uploading, it is not a privacy concern. This is the same as using your internet at your workplace, they have every right to know. The privacy concern would be if they sold that information or used it in anyway that is illegal or against the usage agreement.

If you are concerned about your privacy, encrypt your data. I suggest 1024 or higher.

Contributor

Elginr wrote:

It is very possible to overload network equipment with data usage, call a network bottleneck. Or more commonly know through the internet a denial of service (DOS). That's all a DOS is a large number of requests across a network or server that cannot handle the requests.

Comcast has every right to know what you are downloading and uploading, it is not a privacy concern. This is the same as using your internet at your workplace, they have every right to know. The privacy concern would be if they sold that information or used it in anyway that is illegal or against the usage agreement.

If you are concerned about your privacy, encrypt your data. I suggest 1024 or higher.

Network bottleneck is what I was talking about speed is slowed down for everyone on that node.  The routers don't overload and shut down.   Denial of Service is when a "server" that is providing web site services is unable to handle the volume of request.   That has nothing to do with router's or gateways and other network control hardware.

About the privacy thing.  I'm not touching that, I'll let the others on this forum comment on that.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast doesn't monitor your content, but they can count how much data you upload and download.  Streaming mostly is downloading, so not that much upload would occur.  The network is like a busy cafeteria, as you add more people without adding seating space, over time people start bumping into each other and being unable to find a place to sit down to eat.  In the cable modem system, the upstream channels get so busy that your cable modem is unable to send data in a timely fashion causing lag in your connection.  In really serious network congestion events, your cable modem may be unable to communicate with the CMTS.  The DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades have expanded the capacity a lot, and with upload channel bonding being tested, the uploading capacity constraints may soon dissapear.  This may allow Comcast to do away with the cap completely, raise them significantly, or have caps based on the package offered like maybe 250 GB for economy, 500 GB for performance, 700 GB for blast, 1 TB for the 50 mbps package and 1.5 TB for the 100 mbps package.  They could also offer an unlimited option for one of those capped package for a small additional fee.

Expert

programmer wrote:

This is absolutely insane and leads me to believe you have very little understand of how networking, the internet, computers and technology in general work.

Why should a customer not be allowed to use what they pay for? If comcast cannot support all the customers they sold accounts to because they don't have the infrastucture to support all the people they charge money too then they should be held liable.

The nature of any network is "bursty" and doubly so for the internet. There is nothing wrong with Comcast's infrastructure, it's designed to address the "bursty" nature of their network and it is outstanding in performance. The data limits are not about capacity, they are about volume. Data transfer is not free. You should learn this stuff before you chastise others for their percieved lack of knowledge.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

Actually, Comcast "DOES" know what you are downloading and uploading.

Regular Visitor

Well I'm only gonna worry about this if I actually hit it and they call me about it.  I've had my internet for just about 12 hours and I've already used 40gb.  I had to update all my steam games, download a new one and stream some videos.  And once I set up my router my phone will be backing up over my internet as well as my wife's.  250gb would be a extremely high data amount for a phone, but certainly not for an average household who is up to date with technology.  You want to throttle the highest users, fine by me but this cap seems to affect a good amount of people.

Frequent Visitor

Like I said on other post. I am a heavy VUDU HD streamer as well as Netflix. We have 4 pcs, I am a XDA phone ROM developer and load lots.  We average 190GB per month. Sometimes we have come close to the cap. But we watch a movie a night and there cap is fine.

I get a kick out of the replys that say. I USE IT FOR WORK AND I NEED MORE.  Buddy if your using it for work. SIGN UP FOR BUSINESS ACCOUNT! You have no excuse!

Frequent Visitor

My currant usage Smiley Sad

231GB of 250GB 92% I hope i make it till tomorrow.

Frequent Visitor

Negative impact on other users. That is funny stuff there.

We were hit with the limit over a year ago at the house. Pretty sure they were mad about all the VOD from DirecTV (directv VOD streams over the internet) and netflix. Ironic that it is comcast at the house that provides all the DirecTV VOD - lol.

So - and here is where it is laughable - to fix the problem, we had to upgrade our home account to a business account. Now we no longer negatively affect other users? They did not run a new fiber cable down the road, no new cable to the house, no NOTHING just more money per month.

How di we go one day from being evil system wreckers ruining everyones connection in the neighborhood to good to go with no problems the next day? 

Bronze Problem Solver

wavemaster wrote:

How di we go one day from being evil system wreckers ruining everyones connection in the neighborhood to good to go with no problems the next day? 

By paying them more money, would be my guess. 

New Poster

Elginr wrote:

The cap is normal and nothing new. All providers do it, whether they show it to you in your face or it's in the fine print, its there. This also includes cell phones, most are at 5GB a month.

These complaints have no basis. There are options available to remove the cap, of course it is more money, but you are asking for more services.

You have 3 options:

1) Monitor your usage and manage it appropriately

2) Pay the extra money for the business line which has no cap (currently)

3) Go to another provider who's cap is much smaller (FIOS and Uverse both are 150GB I believe)

Fios has no cap the only reason its not used by everyone is because its not available in all areas.
The fact that you can pay to remove the cap, proves it was not put in place to protect the customers,
simply paying $100-200 extra a month doesn't magically upgrade comcast network(only their wallet). Comcast is a business nothing wrong with that, a business with a large market share is going to offer the least and try to get the most.

The reason why people are complaning is simple, they call up comcast and a sales assosiate offers
 the highest bandwidth plan, while never taking the 2 seconds to explain the cap. 
New Poster

This cap is bull man. I have never went over it. I do a lot of streaming too sometimes, and I have not gone over 200gb.

My brother didn't even know comcast was capped so I asked him to log in to his account and check his usage, and wow. He had used 500gb, 384gb, and 464gb like three months in a row. He said he never got any emails or anything.

He has kids and in their free time they game alot and those usages were during the summer time this year. He hasn't gone over his usage since because kids went back to school. He said he didn't ever know about the limit.

Here is my take, I think this limit is to keep you in check. Comcast is not stupid to start canceling customers left and right if you go over. He has gone over like total of 6 months over 250gb on his account and he has been a customer for 4 years now. They want your money, if you are mostly downloading stuff I doubt they are going to cancel you.

I think they will probably warn you if you get close to 750-1000gb mark. If that wasn't the case my brother would have gotten warned by now. I think less than that is probably something you can get by. I think this limit is to keep people in check and I bet it works on most people.

New Poster

For the people that said Comcast does not call it abuse, Funny we went over a couple months ago, I woke up to no Internet. When I called I was put through to the ABUSE department. So yes they ^^do call it abuse
New Poster

I just got comcast about 2 months ago. I also just started using OnLive(cloud gaming) and after checking my usage, the cap won't be very hard to pass... But their are times when I hardly play.

New Poster

Then how about this: Have Comcast build a proper network that a small group of 17 year olds can't takedown Smiley Happy 
I have some family that lives in Canada and their ISP (Shaw) just released 100mbit and 200mbit uncapped connections. An uncapped 250mbit connection costs $80/month less than Comcast's 105mbit (with the 250GB cap). Seriously, if Comcast didn't wasn't constantly pennypinching when building their networks and overcrowding all of their nodes, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Source: http://shaw.ca/Internet/?lregion=BC&lcity=Vancouver

Barmar wrote:

backell wrote:

And "tragedy of the commons" does not seem to apply for a couple of reasons. 

1) It would seem to apply to a thing that is free. This isn't a "shared" source. It's a paid for utility. 

2) It would seem to apply to a thing that is finite. More for me does not mean less for you. 

Yes, it's a shared resource. Within your neighborhood, you're sharing the cables going to the head-end with your neighbors. And on the Comcast backbone, we're all sharing a finite number of cables and routers. The infrastructure has a limited amount of bandwidth.

Tragedy of the commons applies whenever there's a shared resource, and you pay the same amount no matter how much you use. As long as there's no penalty for additional use, users will tend to use as much as they possibly can. And if everyone tried to watch several hours of HD every day, Comcast wouldn't be able to keep up, and you'd be complaining about all the "buffering" messages.

The difference between "excessive" and "abusive" is that excessive simply means "much more than normal or necessary", it doesn't necessarily imply that you're intentionally trying to do harm. The point is that you're paying the same as other customers, but you're using more than your fair share of a finite capacity.

The real problem is that the Internet industry started out using flat rate pricing, back when there wasn't so much for people to do on the Internet that it would tax the providers' networks. Now that the demand for bandwidth has grown faster than the network capacity, it would make more sense to charge based on usage, but consumers would rebel if providers tried to change the pricing model. ISPs are rushing to increase their capacity, but by the time they do this we'll probably have the next big thing (3D?), which will require even more capacity. ISPs are likely to always be playing catch-up to the demand if there's no circuit breaker.

New Poster

My wife was on the phone with them having them try to rationalize the cap limit and they cap telling us that 99% of all comcast customers never come close to the 250 gb limit.  My wife and I are disabled and are raising a 5 year old and a 2 year old.  We are currently homeschooling and with our current schedule we are online doing studies for the first part of the day and in the afternoon have a family movie with netflix.  We have been using this for a while and have about 600gb usage a month just doing that.  We have had to practically stop using anything for me and my wife at all....restricting only once a day emails and letting the kids do schooling with no family netflix movies and we get about 230gb.  Massively unrealistic.   Not to mention that comcast is trying to get people to purchase a business account.  My wife had them ask several time if she would want one.  Whatever happened to the paying for unlimited internet...but they even changed that to manipulate things by changing it from unlimited usage to unlimited use anything which is what we were just told by customer service.  Not to mention that comcast is a monopoly in my area and not even dialup is offered because it has been outdated.  Satellite is not available to most of people within  about a quarter mile because of a valley.  There needs to be an exception to every rule.

Silver Problem Solver

akira022 wrote:

There needs to be an exception to every rule.

Why? We're all paying the same price, why should you get something special just because you have an unusual situation? Either the limit applies to all residential customers or none, no exceptions.

I know, most of you think that the right answer is "none". But since that's apparently not going to happen, it should at least be applied equally.

It's never been unlimited. But until 3 years ago, they simply didn't publicize the limit.

Expert

Why does it have to be all or none? I think at least those wiling to pay for Extreme tiers should get more volume.

Silver Problem Solver

akira022, I would check that your wireless connection is locked down so that only people in your house are using it. Doing homeschooling does not need to use that much bandwidth. My son has been taking a college course where he is online discussing with his professor during the course, he gets handwriting and audio with the teacher sending out audio, video, and text. I think we're at 50GB this month. And he sometimes watched Netflix movies.

Or talk with the homeschooling folks about what they are doing that is excessive. 

New Poster

I use a lot of hd educational streaming tools and I do have my wireless wep enabled.  I also use a internet manager that measures throughput and it comes almost out to be the same.  I have take college courses through distance ed and it was one course in c++ and it was almost 150g itself for 2 weeks...every class/university is different.  All depends on the compression.  We chose to do homeschooling at this method because I think that Comcast should allow home users to be able to use as much service as they should need to for their situation.  Why does American places have to be so different than the rest of the world.  Like a previous post said that some Canadian isp are much cheaper then Comcast and that their 99% rating was done in 2008.  If Comcast are going to have different rules per state/district  they should update the usage rate every 3-6 months per that area not as a whole consumer base.  If I didn't have a choice I would definitely switch companies but Comcast has a backbone contract for the next 3 years her I believe.  I also have several online friends that have Comcast that are having the same problems with Comcast but then again they mmorpg almost 24-7.  With this streaming age and the next generation gaming running off of virtual systems in 2013, a lot of changes need to happen.  With people wanting more high definition everything and Comcast wanting its customers to even use their site to watch hd shows there should be at least an exemption on file types.  I dont mind if the cap was for anything that is downloaded to the computer...web pages, whole files...ect but I believe streaming should at least be free.  Compromise is everything and i think there is a good median for everything.

Silver Problem Solver

akira022 wrote:

I dont mind if the cap was for anything that is downloaded to the computer...web pages, whole files...ect but I believe streaming should at least be free.

Comcast got into a lot of trouble several years ago because they were interfering with specific applications (file sharing). Making their traffic limit application-agnostic was the policy change they made in response.

New Poster

Barmar wrote:

akira022 wrote:

I dont mind if the cap was for anything that is downloaded to the computer...web pages, whole files...ect but I believe streaming should at least be free.

Comcast got into a lot of trouble several years ago because they were interfering with specific applications (file sharing). Making their traffic limit application-agnostic was the policy change they made in response.

I am not saying things should be blocked or throttled.  I am just saying that if comcast is going to put a cap on things that it should be things that the end user gets on the computer as a whole.  Since with streaming only partials are on the computer at a time and even comcast is hosting streaming too.

New Poster

I disagree.  The flaw in your logic is the assumption that companies want high-consumption users.  They don't.

New Poster

I hate the fact that I have a cap per month.

I did some math to see how long would it take to reach my cap if I did a continue max download rate. My speed package is 22/5 (about 2.8MB/s down 670KB/s up)

250GB = 250000MB / 2.8 = 89286 seconds

89286 / 60 = 1488 Mins

1488 / 60 = 25 Hours

So I spending $80 a month for 25 Hours of usages at max speed for 30 days. That doesn't seem right at all.

Comcast max speed is 105Mbps and doing the same math people who have that package only gets 5 hours of usages. Bits are free. You go to google for example google own connections sends you information to your computer. All you paying comcast for is access to the pipe line. Comcast only has to do is maintain the pipe line. They don't pay for google's connection.

Regular Contributor

NaRu

If you are correct.   I get more time with my dial-up service.   (I don't have highspeed).   I used to average 5 hours a day.   That would put me over-the-limit  with comcast.   I have cut back some.

New Poster

Wow.

I've only been in the area for seven months here in Tacoma. Got up here in June, got Comcast, and was not told a word about this cap. Only found out about it now, and it in the month of December, I ate up a whopping 454GB of data. It's currently me and one other person in the house, as my husband deployed in December. As of today, the 19th, we are at 149GB, but what I fail to understand is when the usage resets for the month. My previous bill is for 1/8-2/7. Would it begin ont he 8th? Would it begin the day that the bill is due? When? If it's the 8th, then in the past 11 days, I've eaten up 149GB, and I haven't been using Netflix, almost at ALL in the past 11 days. How was this managed?

I'm going to imagine that the culprit is likely Netflix. I can't really fathom what else it could be. Possibly the YouTube app for the xbox 360? I don't work online, but I have various hobbies that I take part in. I'm constantly surfing the next, I create videos that I then upload to YouTube, I design graphics, and have my own personal website. I play MMOs, and I play a lot on xbox live on the 360.

It seems that average in this house rounds out to around 270-280 every month. I've never received a warning, and you know what? If I do, I'll be sending a warning of my own in response. I understand the reasoning behind the limit, but I don't agree with the actions. The cap should be changed with changes in how things work, HD and all of that as some have specified.

Also, second time and you're booted? Perhaps if you had told your new customers about this, they may have been able to monitor straight from the start, and could have avoided it.

I see this as a lack of responsibility on Comcast's part. It's one thing to put a cap on your customer's usage, quite another to not tell them about it, then have the audacity to kick them off when they might have no necessarily have abused it.

I'll be looking into different internet options. I may not ever get warning (as I said, I suspect it was Netflix on the 360, as my husband had just deployed, I spent two weeks on the couch miserable watching nothing but netflix), but when a company doesn't bother telling me anything, I lose faith that they'll actually be honest about anything else. I don't pay companines I can't trust. Period.

ETA - Our network is password secured, so nobody from the outside is in. Have two desktops that are used most often, laptops used, but a little less often, an xbox 360, used regularly, a Wii (hardly used), a PS3 (hardly used), wireless printer (used sometimes) and an iPhone (used regularly). Activites, as I stated, consist of gaming, surfing, streaming shows/movies, and I'm not sure if she's still doing it, but my mom used to carry a radio stream. Don't know if she still does, and how much that eats up, but if she still is, I'll let her know to not do it as often and see if that changes. But if Comcast thinks that I'm going to give up my hobbies and activities for their little limit, they've got another thing coming. I do nothing illegal online, will continue not doing anything illegal online, and that's that.

Expert

The usage counter is reset based on the calander month.

Yes, Netfix can eat up a lot of data, particularly if you watch a lot of HD.

The 250GB cap is listed in Terms of Service, but of course most people don't read it and Comcast fails to mention the cap otherwise.

The good news is that Comcast seems to have unofficially softened their stance a little. The 250GB cap is a "soft" cap -- that is there have been a lot of reports of users going over the cap and nothing happens at all. I wouldn't worry about 270-280GB a month.

Thank you for the sacrifices you've made for your country. I wish your husband a safe and speedy return.

New Poster

Hey, I just found out about the CAP from my dad (we live in thr same area) and once he told me that i quickly went to check it and as of today I am 354 GB.

In December I was at 25 GB.

But in the last few weeks we have decided to start playing around with streaming services (HuluPlus, NetFlix, VUDU) and even got a streaming box for the bedroom as well as getting our youngest son a PS3 for xmas.

Last week i was off of work for Paternity leave and really had a chance to use these services. I can only assume that week is the main reason for the large jump.

We have 2 sons who both have PS3s with Hulu on them, one of which plays his games online, I use the computer a lot, we have an HTPC hooked up to the main tV and then the streaming device in the bedroom.

I have to agree with most people, a data limit is understandable, but it needs to be raised for the current times. And also adjsuted for those that are paying higher tiers.

I contacted Comcast with their chat service to let them know i am going over this month and I will try to watch it for the next couple weeks to see what these streaming services are adding per week.

So frustrating to be limited. We can watch as much TV as we want, in as many rooms as we want, but not being able to do the same over the internet in this day and age is ridiculous.

Contributor

I can confirm that as soon as you hit 250 Comcast will cut your connection. Mine just got shutoff. Customers are responsible for monitoring their usage. 

Regular Contributor

I really don't understand why ISPs have a cap.   They provide connection to the backbone provide.   For a very short time, they use a cable line to go to the backbone providers.   I do not know how networking works.  With today's technology people should use 1000gb at lower cost.    Technology is suppose to be cheaper not cost more.       

There are somethings you can do.  Unplug you modem from the comcast line when you are not using the internet.   Some programs & modems will sporadically connect to the internet.   

I do agree the caps need to be raised.

My isp said,  they will just put you down to a lower speed  for those that have either wireless or dsl. 

PhilWA

If your service just got shut off,  how can you post here?   You could just have an outage.

Contributor

I am posting this from work, and customer service told me they had cut me off.

Official Employee

PhilWA wrote:

Your service shows active to me. 

I see where you went over the 250Gb, but not where your service was turned off.

Did you talk to someone and they turned the service back on?

Comcast Nick
Supervisor
Executive Customer Relations
Diamond Problem Solver

PhilWA wrote:

Is this the first violation ? Typically you will get a warning for the first occurence and are not immediately "cut off"..

Contributor

Yes, this is the first "violation".

New Poster

The cap is B.S.

How can any one defend it? I understand why they would put a cap on, but the profit they make every month, I believe they can afford to upgrade there network.

I shouldn't have to worry about a watching a movie on netflix everyday due to this limit.

The statement of "For about 99 percent of our residential customers, the threshold presents no issue whatsoever, as the median monthly data usage by those customers is currently 8 to 10 GB" is completely a lie. It is trying to make the custom sound unreasanable. If you do the math, that is not even ONE VIDEO streamed in full HD.

The reason I get the fastest plan available from comcast.net is because I use the internet more. Now after 2 months of service, I want to cancle. I feel like the only reason I upgraded my speed was so I can reach the cap faster -.-

Regular Visitor

Dunno if this will make anybody feel any better, but here is an excerpt from a comcast chat I had:

Lizzie: I have been reading all over the internet that people are going over the 250gb cap. I have done it myself without any issues, currently, at what point are users typically getting excesive use warning letters? 400g/month, 500?

Mark (Comcast): Usually, comcast will give or send you a letter if you exceed by 500g/month.

Lizzie: Gotcha, I appreciate your honesty. I know that Comcast website says 250, I have myself been around 400 once or twice, but realistically that number had to have grown even if it isn't official. I appreciate your help.

Mark (Comcast): You are most welcome. Glad to be of service!

They are more realistic than you would think. I have had numerous months over 400gb and I haven't had a single communication to the effect that I am excessively using the service. I have never, however, exceeded 500gb. I am on track to do so this month.

(btw, I am at 443gb for the month as of this moment)

(PS Chat lines are edited and are not the exact conversation to stay within the rules of posting, however, highly accurate as to what was discussed and said).

Expert

Yes, the cap is "soft" as in nothing magical happens when you hit 250 GB. There have been many users reporting that they still get "the call" when their usage is only slightly over the cap tho. BTW I wouldn't believe anything that Comcast chat says, ever.

Regular Visitor

Whether you believe what chat says or not, I have a printed out a record of the conversation in the event I run into a problem. The chat rep convinced me that I had to exceed 750gb to be warned.

Expert

letzgostate wrote:

Whether you believe what chat says or not, I have a printed out a record of the conversation in the event I run into a problem. The chat rep convinced me that I had to exceed 750gb to be warned.

The chat rep lied.

Regular Visitor

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

letzgostate wrote:

The chat rep lied.

He may have lied. I, however, have a copy of the transcript. Lately I have no issues going to small claims court. As an authorized agent of Comcast, they must honor what he said. If they don't. They made an offer, I accepted, and consideration is my money for their service. Based on the course of dealing with them I have created an ongoing implied contract. I am sure at the slightest push of a legal button, they won't have a problem reinstating service.

Especially because they can't prove that I am harming the network or ruining the experince for other users.

Frequent Visitor

Put an end to Comcast Bandwidth Use Capping!

I write this around Hertz's Birthday. To all whom read this, you are free to copy in whole or part this entire message and share it with anyone, including your friends and family!

From a concerned Comcast customer:

To Comcast about Bandwidth Use Capping
An insult to customer intelligence.

Though this issue is not local to Comcast, the idea that Comcast first implemented has infected AT&T's internet service as well. I prefer to call them AS&S but that's just my opinion. Limitations create a lack of trust in an established customer base. Why offer high bandwidth connections and limit the transfer? The way you guys advertise it is a 30 day all you can eat buffet. These technological measures were made under the assumption that people were using their internet for illicit activities. The company treats us as though we're guilty by default and thus restricts our sharing capacities. Now not all sharing is illegitimate. Netflix is a paid service. They had to dumb down i.e. add options to reduce quality their service for dumb ISPs that have caps on service. Recently while attempting to post this letter on their forums, I encountered a censorship of the word na- zi and gest- apo. Now that is na- zi AND gest- apo to prevent such words as naughty or bad! It's time to file a class action lawsuit against Comcast and sue for the bandwidth caps and limitations while they advertise under the label Xfinity as in infinite. They also advertise unlimited internet. (They should be foreced to advertise 250GB (in big noticeable print) internet not unlimited for consumer protection.) They have disconnected untold amounts of people from the internet for violating their vile bandwidth cap twice in a year. Search Google for customers that got violated by the fine print in their contracts. This needs to be brought to the attention of any legal body that can conter these measures-- courts and mainstream media like a stop bandwidth cap day similar to Occupy Wall St movements. Many people live with children and other people that they need to share their internet connection with. Some houses don't have more than one cable outlet to provide services, so a Router/NAT Is used. It's time to get litigious against Comcast. Put an end to this absurdity. At the far end of this letter there is a transcript from another site about the $16 million dollar lawsuit for their throttling of P2P traffic. They got off easy. The reason is that maybe millions to tens if not hundreds of thousands of potential dollars in revenue and or innovation to programmers and Linux distributions were lost in the time that they disconnected BitTorrent users from such services. Internet is now a necessity in this generation with everything becoming digitized-- similar to electricity. Now electricity is metered due to the fact that it consumes natural resources. Routing and ISP technologies do not consume natural resources, but pretend to consume artificial resources creating artifical scarcity. I feel uncomfortable paying a flat fee for a metered service. To place a limit on communications is similar to violating the First Amendment in the United States.

Say no to Comcast Arbitration : http://consumerist.com/2011/10/cablevision-lets-you-say-no-to-arbitration.html

They have no right to market fast connections if the fast connections cannot be sustained with continual transfers. It is not only speed but amount of transfer that is valuable and worth paying $60 of a customer's hard earned cash. They depend upon our ignorance to be able to continue such insidious policies. When I inquired about their business service, they said I'd need to pay $200 for installation and the monthly fee would go up dramatically. Is not their current load balancing mechanism enough to deal with traffic issues and or concerns? In a country that started from a revolt on taxation, what has become of our people? How many people need to b**** before something changes. I read the site of their Customer Relations guy Rick Germano... He says they aim to get it right the first time, but they have been getting it wrong all the time when it comes to incredulous policies such as these.

We pay monthly and expect to get a full month;s of service at the current transfer rate. If you add small print that says otherwise, and tell us how or why 250GB is unacceptable, when people download from iTunes, play and update video games and software regularly, e4c. Each of these can be upwards of 30GB easy. 250 just doesn't cut it. Remove all bandwidth caps and your customers will be happier and more pleased to do business with you.

They just transferred the throttling that they got sued over and lost in court into caps.

Don't advertise unlimited service and offer unlimited actually means limited.

"Defendants have disseminated and [continue] to disseminate advertising that they know or should have reasonably [known] is false and misleading," the lawsuit stated. "This conduct includes, but is not limited to, promoting and advertising the fast speeds that apply to the service without limitation, when, in fact, defendants severely limit the speed of the service for certain applications."

In light of the FCC decision, Comcast has since changed its policy and imposed a 250GB cap for residential broadband customers.

Under the class action settlement, class members must file a claim by Aug. 14, 2010.
Proof of their advertising unlimited usage:
http://consumerist.com/2010/03/comcast-unlimited-usage-doesnt-mean-unlimited-usage.html

Until you remove the caps on your bandwidth, everyone should have to call your company CON-cast!

if somebody buys an internet connection called Xfinity, there should be no bandwidth caps or limitations. I asked about these matters when the install guy came, and he called his superior about this topic. Your sales "professionals" don't know anything about internet. You should offer training! They said that the cap was download only! Yet once I read your site, it said that it is for both streams combined. This is confusing and sketchy marketing. There are no one-size-fits-all sneakers. All of your residential plans include this ridiculous limitation. Your business grade service is relatively too expensive to install and maintain for people such as myself. I download updates to my operating system software and sometimes it can take hours. Other times I distribute my legitimate torrent files that can be up to 5GB In size... IF people download GNU/Linux DVDs (an operating system alternative to windows) from a torrent, it is not only legal, but, free (as in food and freedom), and neighborly to share! IF 50 people download the file, the bandwidth cap is reached immediately. If I get a notice from Comcast, I will immediately resort to going on websites such as rip-off report and make sure that the policy is exposed to the public in a much more clear fashion. It is a severe threat to terminate somebody's connection to the internet for a 'bandwidth infraction'. Why have that limit? Too hard to track and sell your user's connection and usage information to the government or third parties?

Your marketing schemes think the average computer user is dumb and that they don't understand what you are doing. I will highly publicize this and call up political representatives, the FCC, EFF and make it known that companies should make it blatantly clear what their limits are! You will never again be able to call it Xfinity! Verizon is right across the street and they have no bandwidth caps or limitations on their service and throughput. SOPA and PIPA protests were just the beginning to put an end to internet tyranny by corporations and governments. It is anticompetitive to offer unusual bandwidth caps in a generation of people that frequent media sites such as Youtube and other such bandwidth consuming franchises. Once your bandwidth throttling (of torrents and other data) was exposed to the public, the FCC took Comcast to court. Even though they lost, it does not mean that they will again if they attempt to impose net neutrality legislation from infractions such at bandwidth capping instead of throttling.

Instead of using bandwidth notation, you should say clearly to customers, it's 15 megabits (not BYTES) a second not 15mbps. Your company sells in bits to create a wow factor, then you restrict use in bytes. This way the customer can understand what you are talking about. 1.875 megabytes per second. That is ridiculously fast for the every day user of the internet. This goes without saying that modern technological thresholds peak at about 100-1000MBps. Verizon is working hard to develop a platform in which residential users can get speeds of up to 100Mbps download. Also with cloud computing, home users are more inclined to run their own servers. I laud your company for the fact that there are no restrictions on which ports may be used after the Torrent issue was raised a long while ago. Listen to your customers and your business will fare well for longer times than other companies. Attempt to subjugate them to undue policies and silence them.. You lose them. It's true many are addicted to convenience and don't like the effort it might take to switch providers, but they may be displeased overall. Use Google to search for "Comcast bandwidth caps" and see for yourself the expressed opinions of your customer base! You will find more than just disgruntled customers, but an array of intellectuals and artists that oppose this bizarre limitation. The only ones not to oppose undue legislation are lawyers. They financially thrive off of conflict. Let us break the chains of ignorance and share freely and openly as ones who love our neighbors as ourselves.

Everything is subject to abuse. A knife can be used to cut food or murder the next door neighbor. Who cares if people make "illegal" copies of software? There are no lost revenues in software that is copied if the end user would not pay for the software to begin with. In fact it's good advertising. When people get to test software or listen to music, it makes them more inclined to purchase from the companies in the long run. I don't put invisible chains on anything I give to others in the real world, saying you can only use this piece of plywood to make a boat, but not a house. That plywood company would go right out of business. Your company does the same type of thing, except in a very sneaky way that is in the fine print of a signed contract. Copyright is outdated (currently restricting true lasting innovation and enlightenment for our human species as a whole) and intellectual ownership is a childish idea in a generation of vast fluid local and international communication. Let the media w**** giants be ****ed and let the purchasers have the right to do with what they bought as they please.

Your company may esteem your residential customers of being of lower worth than businesses, but the truth is, every resident may be a business owner. Love all lest the king be concealed. Consider, Now the $720 a year that I am currently subscribed to paying your company each year may not amount to much. if your policies agitate even one potential customer with these undue business practices of concealing caps and limitations that you claim is so the service can be fast, he may speak to your current customers and potential customers and inform them of these unjust limitations and get 100-1000 people to choose to take their business elsewhere. Say for each of these 100 to 1000 people, 20 more become disinterested. Especially in the era of instantaneous social communication over platforms such as twitter and Facebook (news flys), you lose 2,000 to 20,000 potential customers at 60 dollars a month. This equates to $1,200,000 to $12,000,000 in lost potential revenue. Bad business practices endanger future sales, no matter how convenient your current service platform might be. I am blogging this entry right now. Fortunately if I am mailed a letter about excessive bandwidth use, I am entitled to get my money back. I will take it back and take my business elsewhere in the event I receive such a letter. I noticed that my router says
In the past 21 days, I haveused 400GB of data transfer to and from the internet. Why should people have to give an account to you for what kind of services they have used? This is a severe violation of customer privacy. The customer is always right when it comes to exposing ill intent in companies. To have to think about how much bandwidth you are using each month can keep a person paralyzed and paranoid, especially if they like to run an open wifi access point when their friends come over with their computers and download from iTunes, etc.
Sorry Jake, but you can't download the music you purchased onto your device! My _BANDWIDTH CAP_ is like a HANDI CAP that makes it so I can't do things without fear of corporate reprisal! It retards online movement and flow! That is what bandwidth caps are... Retarded! Instead of offering slow throttled internet, you have offered something akin to a month rental of a Ferrari that can go real fast but it can only go from New York to New Jersey with no return ticket. You can't ride for the sheer joy of riding. You have to be paranoid about having used it for a long distance. OH my the road na- zis are going to notice that I went too far! The car looks beautiful and cool from the outside, until you notice the fine print in the contract and meet the road na- zis at comcast that complain you used the car too much. If you were to turn off somebody's internet service (i.e. freeze the car while somebody is driving it) (instead of mailing them after they payed their monthly due) at the moment they crossed the cap, I am certain you would lose hundreds of thousands if not millions of customers overnight.

Instead of increasing your carrying capacities by buying new technologies to balance loads of data coming through, you choose to make people only use the internet less. Any good ISP knows that the more the product is used, the more the user will like the provider of the product. What comcast does is an evasion of innovation.

It costs you little to nothing to turn on some computers and routers, and let cables do the work for you while you rake in cash for the said bandwidth. Make it so the customers can make full use of expansive technologies and they will love you and your service!

(words these companies use for people such as you and I, _consumers_ and _users_ (much like a drug dealer might consider their customers to be)

Plan Blast 15mbps download and 5mbps upload
I calculated that if I used the full bandwidth of the connection constantly for 24 hours per 30 days the maximum transfer I can download for my current plan is 15mbps(1.875MBytes/s) x 60 seconds x 60 minutes x 24 hours x 30 days, a whopping 38,880,000,000,000 bits (4.86TB TeraBYTES!) of data-- . That The limitation is absurd! You are only giving me 1/19.44 the maximum amount of what is offered (if it weren't capped) for a month! And that is only for DOWNLOADS! I can sit here and calculate the uploads, but it would be time consuming.

A three strikes you're out policy is in place for this retarded bandwidth cap. If I make use of a connection that I pay for above a certain point, I get cut off from the Internet. This is truly a fool's errand. Either remove the cap or cease to call the service Xfinity (sounding like infinity)

After reading this, I hope you will take the aforesaid into deep consideration. It is a bad economic decision to limit anyone or anything in an artificial manner. People will buy other services. The FCC has at least opened the way for competitive cable and internet services-- that users may choose between providers. For this I am grateful!

Oh yes, the 'bandwidth usage meter' isn't even visible or accessible on the Comcast site under any heading including Home, Account & Bill, Users and Settings, Alerts, Help, etc. They don't make it clear to their customers about these matters because people might be less inclined to subscribe. i.e. Your son can't use the Xbox-- it takes too much bandwidth to update games and download music. I cannot find any email address to contact customer support on the website. It's hidden behind veils of javascript forums. They apparently don't want emails from their own customers or input from subscribers. I read on Rick Germano's (Head of Customer Relations) blog that Comcast spent $2 billion on customer relations. If they did that, why can't I find a customer support email address that I can make use of instead of some web form that might not work with my browser? IF they can afford $2 billion in customer service, they can definitely serve internet without bandwidth caps.
While using their service, on Google, I click on links to contact Customer Support and on both of my computers it says “Connection Reset” I cannot find one email to contact customer support. I look all over the websites. To even access their business internet page, I encounter the same errors. 250GB is a retarded limit, simply put. When I read it isn't just downloads, it's both up and downstream bandwidth. The technician said it was DOWNLOAD ONLY. First, I ask the guy who sent the installation team and he didn't know anything about the services he was pushing. They're dumb sales men.. The people working for them probably get incentives to push stuff that people don't want or need upon new and current customers. I got this response while calling for a simple cable modem reset. You don't have phone service. They tried to push their other products onto me like a subservient minion. That isn't a company that cares for the customer. It's a company that cares about profit and screwing the people at the bottom of their sales pyramid. A pyramid is no better than it's foundation. The top is supported by the layers underneath. They should call their Xfinity residential plans Xfinity bandwidth na- zi plans. I have felt compelled to write this.

Reading through the internet, I found the following post:

“Comcast should not limit or cap bandwidth, as you have a bandwidth limit per account and it doesn't matter if there is one or 500 people using that line as you cannot exceed your ALLOWED bandwidth. Providing that the engineers did their job correctly and the company (ISP provider) hasn't oversold their system. If that is true then there would be no ill effect on others in your shared tree. The problem is they over sell what they are capable of providing and of course lie about the service you are supposed to have, then they turn it around that those **** downloaders are taking all of your service it's their fault for using what is provided to them, when in fact the ISP is not doing their job. This is normal standard business these days, they keep lying and we keep paying more. “

From : "http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Management/Comcast-Settles-P2P-Class-Action-Lawsuit-895449/"
Quoting from
_Comcast Settles P2P Class Action Lawsuit_

Comcast's throttling, the suit claimed, significantly slowed or stopped his downloads.

"Defendants have disseminated and [continue] to disseminate advertising that they know or should have reasonably [known] is false and misleading," the lawsuit stated. "This conduct includes, but is not limited to, promoting and advertising the fast speeds that apply to the service without limitation, when, in fact, defendants severely limit the speed of the service for certain applications."

In light of the FCC decision, Comcast has since changed its policy and imposed a 250GB cap for residential broadband customers.

Under the class action settlement, class members must file a claim by Aug. 14, 2010.

Cable giant Comcast agrees to pay $16 million to make a 2007 class action lawsuit go away. The lawsuit claimed Comcast blocked or throttled peer-to-peer traffic in violation of Comcast's user's agreement, charges the FCC subsequently investigated. The FCC found the company in violation of its network neutrality principles.
Print Version Sponsored By

While not admitting to any wrongdoing, Comcast has preliminarily agreed to pay $16 million to settle a class action lawsuit that claims the cable giant blocked or throttled peer-to-peer traffic to its customers. The maximum payout to members of the class action suit is set at $16.

The proposed settlement stems from a November 2007 lawsuit filed by Jon Hart, a California Comcast subscriber who claimed Comcast slowed or cut off P2P file-sharing networks like BitTorrent and Gnutella in violation of Comcast's user's agreement. Hart's share of the proposed settlement is $2,500.

Several months after Hart's lawsuit, the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) began an investigation into similar complaints against Comcast and in August 2008 found Comcast guilty of network neutrality violations for throttling P2P traffic. The FCC also found that Comcast misled customers by not properly disclosing its P2P policy.

From http://www.frooglegeek.com/why-comcast-should-be-sued/590

I was reading a Google+ post from Chris Pirillo about how he was surprised there wasn’t a class action lawsuit against them yet. At first I chuckled to myself thinking that Comcast may be a terrible company, they surely aren’t doing anything illegal though. However after crunching some numbers I realized that Comcast is actually misleading customers when they are selling internet packages.
Here is my reply to Chris:
“Chris I feel like we could talk about Comcast for hours. Their data caps don’t make any sense at all because people want faster broadband because they need that extra speed because they are using their internet more.
At 105Mbps you are downloading 13.125 megabytes per second according to Google’s calculator.
1GB = 1024MB and with your 250GB cap that means you have 256,000MB to use per month before you reach the cap.
Now going back to what Comcast will let you download per second you take 256,000/13.125 and you come up with 19,504 and some change. That means you can download stuff at your maximum bandwidth for 19,504 seconds.
This turns out to be 325 minutes or 5 hours of downloading stuff. Feel free to double select my math.
So essentially you are paying $100+ for 5 hours of nonstop internet access per month. If you’d like to chat about this more let me know I’m here all day, and I actually think I’m going to write up an article about this for my blog.”
Did you catch that? The plan that Chris Pirillo has from Comcast which he pays for on a monthly basis only lets him have a total of 5 hours of internet usage where he is using his full connection. There are 720 hours in a 30 day month, which turns out to be 0.69% of a month.
How is this not illegal? From a moral standpoint and not a political standpoint this practice should be illegal.

And more::
Terrible response. Just awful.

People need to stop implying that a BUSINESS CLASS account is somehow a reasonable alternative for a RESIDENTAL user. If he were doing actual business things that were putting a large dent in his data, that might make sense. But as he said, "games, movies, bit of backup." Nothing out of the ordinary.

Sure, it is an OPTION, but the fact that residential users need a business class account (which also corresponds to a severe drop in speed as well. Business doesn't offer over 50mbps, IIRC) to do residential activities, is absurd.

The residential customers pay approximately the same price for the service that the business class receives.

Fortunately companies such as Google are close to marketing Gbps connections to the public for affordable prices, creating a new competitive atmosphere for companies such as Comcast and Verizon. Even FIOS and other no-capped services will soon be put to shame. As unified evil will always defeat dis-unified good, join with me to protest these absurdities!.Comcast got off easy ($16 million) for the lies about bandwidth throttling... Let's take them to court again and win.
In order to get litigious :
Visit http://www.comcast.com/arbitrationoptout/ to opt out of arbitration in order to sue with your own representation and be able to file a class action lawsuit.

By providing the information below, you are notifying Comcast of your decision to opt out of arbitration with Comcast as provided in the Comcast Agreement for Residential Services or the 2007 Arbitration notice. If you previously notified Comcast of your decision to opt out of arbitration you do not need to do so again. Start making a blazing buzz about it and get huffy for the good of all

Frequent Visitor

Oh yes, they don't want to get sued, so you have to opt out of "arbitration" in the event you are mailed the letter for that or maybe within the first 30 days of signing the contract with Comcast. They're sneaky and terrible. RCN and Verizon seem ot be preferable alternatives in the event that one needs to make a change for uncapped service. Evil confronted directly changes form. That's what happened when they killed bitTorrent downloads, they just applied a stupid cap to all of the content on their network. I think it's time we opt for government legislation that forces them to play fair for all customers. I think it's important to start rallies like Anonymous and Occupy Wall St in front of their corporate headquarters and buildings to protest against their absurd cap.

Frequent Visitor

My average usage has been around 1GB.  My January usage, however, was 11GB and now the Febuary usage is 117GB.  My usage habits have not changed--email, Ebay, Netflix on ROKU for an hour or two a day--the change came about when Comcast switched out my non-wireless cable modem for a modem that has internal wireless and doesn't need a router.  Is this a trick by Comcast to push data up?  My wireless is password protected so it can't be a neighbor using it.....I cannot figure it out?  Troubling!

Frequent Visitor

It could be (just kidding) but it could be that you need to change your pass or use WPA-2 security. The ads take bandwidth too (although not as much)