Community Forum

"Limited Basic" changes affect all plans?

Frequent Visitor

"Limited Basic" changes affect all plans?

My May bill in Kitsap County, WA included a notice that "Beginning June 17, 2019, FM Radio will no longer be available in Limited Basic".

I'm on Digital Preferred, but FM radio went away for me, too, on the 17th.

If this was a mistake, please fix it.

If this was intentional, please give more useful notices in the future. Since it is quite normal for channels to be available in higher tiers that are not offered in lower tiers (indeed, that is the point of having tiers!), most reasonable people would interpret "no longer be available in Limited Basic" as simply meaning you are moving the tier boundary at which FM is avaiable up one step, not that it is going away from Limited Basic and all tiers above that.

Regular Visitor

Re: "Limited Basic" changes affect all plans?

Thank you for this post. I missed that notice on my bill altogether.  Is there a way we can get our local FM stations back?  

Xfinity if you are listening, King County would like FM stations back.

Official Employee

@tzs wrote:

My May bill in Kitsap County, WA included a notice that "Beginning June 17, 2019, FM Radio will no longer be available in Limited Basic".

I'm on Digital Preferred, but FM radio went away for me, too, on the 17th.

If this was a mistake, please fix it.

If this was intentional, please give more useful notices in the future. Since it is quite normal for channels to be available in higher tiers that are not offered in lower tiers (indeed, that is the point of having tiers!), most reasonable people would interpret "no longer be available in Limited Basic" as simply meaning you are moving the tier boundary at which FM is avaiable up one step, not that it is going away from Limited Basic and all tiers above that.

Apologies for any confusion we may have caused and thanks for your feedback regarding the messaging.  

You can find similar entertainment via our X1 TV Apps like Pandora, iHeart, Xite, and NPR One.

Also 50 channels of Music Choice audio.

Comcast regularly examines programs and channels in an effort to provide the best overall entertainment choices and content customers want the most.

We know that it is upsetting to lose a channel that you like.  We may rearrange or change programming, features or offerings that are a part of our services, even those that we provide under a promotional offer. We regularly evaluate our XFINITY TV to ensure it includes the best combination of programming options to appeal to our customers.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Glad to have finally found a forum through which I can react to this abysmal move on the part of Xfinity/Comcast.

I've been trying to find a way to let Xfinity know about my disatisfaction with this move and could find NO WAY via their website to send an email let alone a button on a menu that allowed for feedback. Very pathetic customer service, by the way.

These FM channels on my Limited Service plan (in King County) have been what I use my cable for most of the time. My home is located in a TV and RADIO wave shadow for both services so I have no choice but to use Xf cable access. These channels have been with my plan since forever.

And this option is NOT true for me (if it is, please tell me how) on Limited Basic:

"You can find similar entertainment via our X1 TV Apps like Pandora, iHeart, Xite, and NPR One."   Do tell me how I can do this on Limited Basic if it's possible. This option would work for me.

And I HEARTILY ENCOURAGE THIS:

"Comcast regularly examines programs and channels in an effort to provide the best overall entertainment choices and content customers want the most.....We may rearrange or change programming, features or offerings...."

Regular Visitor

We can find SIMILAR selections on an app?  How is Pandora, which I can get on my phone, similar to the regular LOCAL radio stations, please tell mw which App I need to download on my X1 system to hear local news, traffic and weather? And which Free app can I listen to Coast to Coast over night on? I know I can pay their fee to get access to their own programming, again on my phone, But You offered a service and then decreased the number of stations I had access to and didn't decrease my bill.  In fact, if I do as you have suggested and use an app, I'm fairly certain that I will be using my data plan and could potentially run into limits. potentially costing me more money or limited data at the end of each month.

You gave the stations back to cities in CA. Just give us back our channels.  Or maybe, we should all just cut the cord as this could only be the beginning to the services comcast will decide we no longer need. Glad I didn't switch my cell service to you people, imagine what services Comcast could decide I no longer need.

The only reply we will get is a bot telling us they are listening.  Not very Comcastic. 

Jeremy in Federal Way, WA

Official Employee

@portia360 wrote:

Glad to have finally found a forum through which I can react to this abysmal move on the part of Xfinity/Comcast.

I've been trying to find a way to let Xfinity know about my disatisfaction with this move and could find NO WAY via their website to send an email let alone a button on a menu that allowed for feedback. Very pathetic customer service, by the way.

These FM channels on my Limited Service plan (in King County) have been what I use my cable for most of the time. My home is located in a TV and RADIO wave shadow for both services so I have no choice but to use Xf cable access. These channels have been with my plan since forever.

And this option is NOT true for me (if it is, please tell me how) on Limited Basic:

"You can find similar entertainment via our X1 TV Apps like Pandora, iHeart, Xite, and NPR One."   Do tell me how I can do this on Limited Basic if it's possible. This option would work for me.

And I HEARTILY ENCOURAGE THIS:

"Comcast regularly examines programs and channels in an effort to provide the best overall entertainment choices and content customers want the most.....We may rearrange or change programming, features or offerings...."

That option is true for you.  Generally, you would need to swap your legacy video equipment for an X1 cable box (at no additional cost and an overall improved experience).

I will have a colleague review your account and contact you directly to go over options. Thanks for your patience. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@JnAsaladino wrote:

We can find SIMILAR selections on an app?  How is Pandora, which I can get on my phone, similar to the regular LOCAL radio stations, please tell mw which App I need to download on my X1 system to hear local news, traffic and weather? And which Free app can I listen to Coast to Coast over night on? I know I can pay their fee to get access to their own programming, again on my phone, But You offered a service and then decreased the number of stations I had access to and didn't decrease my bill.  In fact, if I do as you have suggested and use an app, I'm fairly certain that I will be using my data plan and could potentially run into limits. potentially costing me more money or limited data at the end of each month.

You gave the stations back to cities in CA. Just give us back our channels.  Or maybe, we should all just cut the cord as this could only be the beginning to the services comcast will decide we no longer need. Glad I didn't switch my cell service to you people, imagine what services Comcast could decide I no longer need.

The only reply we will get is a bot telling us they are listening.  Not very Comcastic. 

Jeremy in Federal Way, WA

Apologies. Thanks for your feedback. It has been heard and shared. 

We don't use "bots" or auto-responses here in the Comcast Help & Support Forums. 

The links below have additional information on iHeart radio on our X1 TV platform which includes many local radio stations (over 15 Seattle area radio stations are included). 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-iheartradio-app-overview

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-iheartradio-faqs