Community Forum

chicago vs detroit sports channels

New Poster

chicago vs detroit sports channels

hello...i would like to know why i get a detroit based sports channel (fox sports detroit) instead of a chicago based sports channel. i live 3 and a half hours, 200 miles from detroit, and 1 and a half hours, 100 miles from chicago..makes no sense to me! also, i live 3 miles from the michigan / indiana border, yet comcast subscribers those 3 miles away get a chicago based sports channel..again, no sense..!!!

Problem Solver

Re: chicago vs detroit sports channels

Could it be you're in Eastern Time Zone and not Central Time Zone?  It changes west of Toledo in Indiana.  Maybe that has something to do with your issue.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
New Poster

no..as i said, we are 3 miles from the indiana / michigan border, and the part of indiana that is 3 miles away is also in the eastern time zone

New Poster

Problem Solver

All regional sports networks have territories that they are in that can show all of their content, being games from MLB, the NBA and NHL.

All of the state of Michigan is in the zone for Fox Sports Detroit. You are in-market for the Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons, regardless of where you live in Michigan. Many portions of Western Michigan are in-market as well for NBC Sports Chicago. Not all providers carry this even if they can, due to costs or perceived lack of interest in Chicago sports among subscribers. The same issue can exist for NBC Sports Chicago in the Indianapolis area, even though the White Sox, Cubs, and Blackhawks are all considered in-market there. The Bulls are not due to the presence of the Indiana Pacers.

Because these are zip code based, these territories can change at state lines. Right across the border in Indiana, the priority shifts to Chicago and Indiana sports with both NBC Sports Chicago and Fox Sports Indiana (Midwest). This means that Cubs, White Sox and Cincinnati Reds games get priority over the Tigers. Some areas may also have Fox Sports Detroit considered in-market as well, specifically areas who receive their local television stations from Fort Wayne, not South Bend.

New Poster

Well, I think THAT system is ALL messed up and something should be done to correct it!