Community Forum

beIN SPORTS update 8/1/18

Frequent Visitor

Re: beIN SPORTS update 8/1/18

Dish Network does too

New Poster

I remember when Cable first came out with the promise that:  if a customer was willing to pay a monthly fee, they would receive "COMMERCIAL FREE CHANNELS" and I thought to myself, who, in their right mind, would actually PAY for something that we already receive for free?  (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, WNET, PIX....).... Ok -- fast forward --- 100 channels later --- and hundreds of dollars a month in fees --- only to continue to get less and less for more and more, with btw, COMMERCIALS!   So, you're getting paid from all sides. 

No one has ever choked on pride, Xfinity!  Swallow it -- work it out with BEIN!  FIOS did, within days.  If you don't get it back before the end of September, we're switching.  I'm exhausted -- and you're not worth it.

Regular Contributor

@fedup999 wrote:

I remember when Cable first came out with the promise that:  if a customer was willing to pay a monthly fee, they would receive "COMMERCIAL FREE CHANNELS" and I thought to myself, who, in their right mind, would actually PAY for something that we already receive for free?  (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, WNET, PIX....).... Ok -- fast forward --- 100 channels later --- and hundreds of dollars a month in fees --- only to continue to get less and less for more and more, with btw, COMMERCIALS!   So, you're getting paid from all sides. 

No one has ever choked on pride, Xfinity!  Swallow it -- work it out with BEIN!  FIOS did, within days.  If you don't get it back before the end of September, we're switching.  I'm exhausted -- and you're not worth it.

Thank you for your very 1st post... but I do have to note that 

1) it's not 1979 anymore.

2)  I would love to see a link to that promise you cite, as ABC/CBS/NBC - were always going to have commercials

3) I also think that promise, if made, were for premium channels like HBO

New Poster

Re: Now NO bein sports at all???

and now that solution gives us xfinity without bein sports
Frequent Visitor

Well, if it's not back (and HD) when my contract is up...i'm done. And i'll also be switching internet companies just out of spite. I don't even care who is more to blame...i just know comcast already abuses us with all of their hd fees, technology fees, fee processing fees, etc.

No reason at all for us soccer fans not to switch to satellite or streaming for sports now. Bein will be HD. You'll get all the other channels. And if you're like me, 90% of your non-sports TV is netflix or streaming anyway.

I'd love to be watching the Colombia Argentina match right now!! Thanks again comcast! So embarrassing/frustrating that all my friends with satellite are watching in in glorious hd and i am stuck clicking refresh on a sports app on my phone.
Puke

God knows you can't just strike a deal with bein even if it means your shareholders will have a .0002% dip in profits. I mean, that's one less sip of $1000 a bottle wine at their next lunch meeting.
Frequent Visitor

I love how they raise our prices all the time, making themselves hundreds of millions more. They have HD fees, technology fees...just absolutely ridiculous. It's friggin 2018...a special fee for HD should not even exist.

All this free money through garbage fees....but when bein wants to renegotiate Comcast acts like it's so ridiculous that they want to raise prices. Guess what comcast - you do that to us all the time
Frequent Visitor

Well, if it's not back (and HD) when my contract is up...i'm done. And i'll also be switching internet companies just out of spite. I don't even care who is more to blame...i just know comcast already abuses us with all of their hd fees, technology fees, fee processing fees, etc.

No reason at all for us soccer fans not to switch to satellite or streaming for sports now. Bein will be HD. You'll get all the other channels. And if you're like me, 90% of your non-sports TV is netflix or streaming anyway.

I'd love to be watching the Colombia Argentina match right now!! Thanks again comcast! So embarrassing/frustrating that all my friends with satellite are watching in in glorious hd and i am stuck clicking refresh on a sports app on my phone.
Puke

God knows you can't just strike a deal with bein even if it means your shareholders will have a .0002% dip in profits. I mean, that's one less sip of $1000 a bottle wine at their next lunch meeting.
Regular Contributor

@ryanfreeman1976 wrote:

Puke

dont switch to directv....beIN pulled the same garbage on them and Uverse as well

New Poster

Still waiting for beIN Sports, any updates?

I pay extra to get this channel and it was removed, are we going to get refunded?

Very disappointed both companies pointing fingers to each other, this is not a customer problem, get the things done and fix it for us, or get replaced.

Official Employee

@alexisnaranjo23 wrote:

Still waiting for beIN Sports, any updates?

I pay extra to get this channel and it was removed, are we going to get refunded?

Very disappointed both companies pointing fingers to each other, this is not a customer problem, get the things done and fix it for us, or get replaced.

For our X1 customers, beIN SPORTS & beIN en Español can be viewed today on X1 by subscribing to Sling’s World Sports package (currently 11 channels). That package is $10/month and is billed directly to your credit card.

Current offer is a 7 day free trial.

Find this by saying "Sling World Sports" into the Xfinity voice remote control... or on the X1 box, press the Xfinity button, go to Apps, then select Video, then select Sling. Then select World Sports from the drop down in the upper right and follow the on-screen instructions.

The above, while not ideal, is certainly "an" option for some customers while the current situation is being negotiated/discussed between the two parties. It is an option that has been on X1 since April.

We are hopeful that beIN will decide to negotiate in good faith, come to a fair agreement immediately on reasonable terms, and return its programming to our Xfinity TV customers.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I agree.

I don't want to go to dish or direct tv but I have to. No Bein Sports is forcing my hand.

Frequent Visitor

Dish has it.

Regular Contributor

@walnut9 wrote:

I agree.

I don't want to go to dish or direct tv but I have to. No Bein Sports is forcing my hand.

Easiest option is sling tv...and X1 even has an app for that right on their box so you can watch it on your tv

New Poster

Ryan you are not just one person as you can see with the likes and the replies.

COMCAST:

La Liga has started, and MOTO GP has started and some events already passed. Be honest to your clients and let us know if BEIN sports will be back! In the long run, your shareholders will appreciate the "sacrifice" you made now instead of losing some many customers and impacting your bottom line. 

Official Employee

@Rgelon14 wrote:

Ryan you are not just one person as you can see with the likes and the replies.

COMCAST:

La Liga has started, and MOTO GP has started and some events already passed. Be honest to your clients and let us know if BEIN sports will be back! In the long run, your shareholders will appreciate the "sacrifice" you made now instead of losing some many customers and impacting your bottom line. 

For our X1 customers, beIN SPORTS & beIN en Español can be viewed today on X1 by subscribing to Sling’s World Sports package (currently 11 channels). That package is $10/month and is billed directly to your credit card.

Find this by saying "Sling World Sports" into the Xfinity voice remote control... or on the X1 box, press the Xfinity button, go to Apps, then select Video, then select Sling. Then select World Sports from the drop down in the upper right and follow the on-screen instructions.

The above, while not ideal, is certainly "an" option for some customers while the current situation is being negotiated/discussed between the two parties. It is an option that has been on X1 since April.

We are hopeful that beIN will decide to negotiate in good faith, come to a fair agreement immediately on reasonable terms, and return its programming to our Xfinity TV customers.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Hey Comcast, great idea about Sling, it is only $10 per month, could you kindly discount this $10 off my monthly fee, and undoubtedly subscribe to Sling while you fix your problems with BeIN Sports.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

New Poster

This doesn't seem accurate. I don't think you are telling the whole story. There was a $10 charge for the sportspackage before, if was never free. If they ask for more now why don't you let your customers decide if the new price is ok?

New Poster

Just signed up for sling tv. $80 a year for any device and HD. Cheaper than if was with comcast anyway.

Regular Contributor

@adavalosmora wrote:

Hey Comcast, great idea about Sling, it is only $10 per month, could you kindly discount this $10 off my monthly fee, and undoubtedly subscribe to Sling while you fix your problems with BeIN Sports.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

you can get that $10 off your bill by discontinuing the sports package

New Poster

Re: beIN SPORTS update 8/1/18 what is the reason to charge $8.00 of broadcast feed if i wont have it

I just want beinsports back. i think i have a rigth ,thats the reason you guys charge the $8 dollars feed to broadcast. so if i'm paying that feed to have a channel why are you taking the channel away. you guys even explain it in the terms and conditions ,why we are charged thaat amount so i want my channel back.

simple. 

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: beIN SPORTS update 8/1/18 what is the reason to charge $8.00 of broadcast feed if i wont have it

@iwantbeinsports wrote:

I just want beinsports back. i think i have a rigth ,thats the reason you guys charge the $8 dollars feed to broadcast. so if i'm paying that feed to have a channel why are you taking the channel away. you guys even explain it in the terms and conditions ,why we are charged thaat amount so i want my channel back.

simple. 

Apologies for any confusion. The $8.00 per month broadcast TV fee is not related to beIN Sports at all.  beIN Sports is not a local broadcast channel. 

The Broadcast TV Fee is an itemized charge that you will see on your bill. This is not a government-mandated or required fee and will increase from time to time. This fee is based upon the fees that local broadcasters charge us to carry their programming. 

We pay over and above this fee to meet our total obligation to local broadcasters in order to carry their channels. Broadcasters have begun to increase their charges regularly, and we have limited control over the amount or pace of these increases. As a result, the Broadcast TV Fee is not included as a part of our promotional pricing or pricing under your minimum-term agreement and can increase during your promotion or minimum-term. You will receive advance notice before an increase takes effect.

Visit xfinity.com/fees for more information.  

New Poster

Are we getting reimbursed? 

Regular Contributor

@Djrick2018 wrote:

Are we getting reimbursed? 

Always great to see people make their very first post, welcome to the forum....

You can get your money back by dropping the sports package because it no longer contains the channel you wanted so much that you paid the fee for it.

Comcast doesn't "reimburse" any more than they will add new fees a la carte when a new feature is added, like the new smart commercial skip. or other things in  beta testing

What makes you think there would be reimbursement?

Is it in the contract?

Personally, if it is in the contract, I would love to know so I can get reimbursed later for things I don't like.

New Poster

You keep posting the same message and that's very annoying. It's like you not listening to what we are saying
New Poster

The Comcast response is very annoying. I'm a at&t customer and they have been giving me great offers to join direct TV but I didn't switch. Now it looks like I'm going to cut the cord.
New Poster

BeIN SPORTS update 8/1/18

I am also very unhappy to not be able to see MOTOGP racing. So are many of my friends.  It is rediculous for this to happen mid-season. 

Regular Contributor

@Nnnarthan wrote:
The Comcast response is very annoying. I'm a at&t customer and they have been giving me great offers to join direct TV but I didn't switch. Now it looks like I'm going to cut the cord.

Uverse and DirecTv also had beIN yank their channel from them

The problem is beIN, not the providers

Frequent Visitor

dancing same tune I see, Comcast is Nobel prize worth company, always out there looking out for us,  customers and evil Bein Sports are bullying for more money poor Comcast. 

Regular Contributor

@diskiukas wrote:

dancing same tune I see, Comcast is Nobel prize worth company, always out there looking out for us,  customers and evil Bein Sports are bullying for more money poor Comcast. 

you should switch to a 'wonderful company' like Uverse or Directv and watch beIN there.....

Official Employee

@Nnnarthan wrote:

Official Employee

Re: BeIN SPORTS update 8/1/18

@george308 wrote:

I am also very unhappy to not be able to see MOTOGP racing. So are many of my friends.  It is rediculous for this to happen mid-season. 

New Poster

Thanks, but I concluded that it's them, Bein Sports, not Comcast, the ones that are being greedy. They didn't renew with DirectTv either. Those 2 companies are next. I think Bein Sports is asking for way more money that these major companies are willing to pay.

Frequent Visitor

From my experience, the image I was getting from comcast beIN channel was subpar to what a HD image I was getting from FS1 or ESPN. Premier league games looked very crisp and highly detailed. BeIN was never like that. So I can say that comcast was probably compressing the signal on beIN and everyone can say that the signal is the same, I say read up on compression of signal. Another thing that bothers me is that even if beIN is asking for more money for its content, its just normal economics. If LIGA demands more money for its rights, shouldn't the cost be passed on? Should beIN absorb the cost just because we love spanish soccer? Comcast already charged additional monthly cost for beIN content that was degraded and provided only one HD channel in my area. I am sure they made money out of that. So beIN has to cover their expenses, comcast doesnt want to pay that because they are looking out for our pockets? So, I expect not to have a price increase any time soon. Because God forbid comcast has to upgrade its infrastructure/hardware system we wont have to pay for it. Bottom line and I can see what's happening, beIN sports has to renew its contract with LIGA come 2019-2020. Direct TV and comcast know that this channel has a good amount of viewers due to the popularity of Spanish Soccer. What they are doing is they are bleeding out beIN out of advertising revenue. They are the top TV providers and know most people will not spend additional monthly money on online services. Once that contract is up for grabs, they will have the cash to bid for it, while beIN wont. We saw it already with Serie A, ESPN+ got it from beIN this season. ESPN+ is $5 a month, money for ESPN. Watch, Liga will be in one of the big stations Comcast/Telemundo, Comcast/NBCSports, FS1 or ESPN come 2019/2020.
Regular Contributor

@cespede wrote:
From my experience, the image I was getting from comcast beIN channel was subpar to what a HD image I was getting from FS1 or ESPN. Premier league games looked very crisp and highly detailed. BeIN was never like that. So I can say that comcast was probably compressing the signal on beIN and everyone can say that the signal is the same, I say read up on compression of signal. Another thing that bothers me is that even if beIN is asking for more money for its content, its just normal economics. If LIGA demands more money for its rights, shouldn't the cost be passed on? Should beIN absorb the cost just because we love spanish soccer? Comcast already charged additional monthly cost for beIN content that was degraded and provided only one HD channel in my area. I am sure they made money out of that. So beIN has to cover their expenses, comcast doesnt want to pay that because they are looking out for our pockets? So, I expect not to have a price increase any time soon. Because God forbid comcast has to upgrade its infrastructure/hardware system we wont have to pay for it. Bottom line and I can see what's happening, beIN sports has to renew its contract with LIGA come 2019-2020. Direct TV and comcast know that this channel has a good amount of viewers due to the popularity of Spanish Soccer. What they are doing is they are bleeding out beIN out of advertising revenue. They are the top TV providers and know most people will not spend additional monthly money on online services. Once that contract is up for grabs, they will have the cash to bid for it, while beIN wont. We saw it already with Serie A, ESPN+ got it from beIN this season. ESPN+ is $5 a month, money for ESPN. Watch, Liga will be in one of the big stations Comcast/Telemundo, Comcast/NBCSports, FS1 or ESPN come 2019/2020.

beIN was only in SD on Comcast. All Sports and Entertainment channels are carried only in SD

Frequent Visitor

Which is a joke. SD at this age should not even exist. Comcast will end up like AOL, monster of the company that failed to adapt. Mark my words. Streaming TV is the future.

Frequent Visitor

@billmich88888 wrote:
beIN was only in SD on Comcast. All Sports and Entertainment channels are carried only in SD

It started out in "HD" around may 2015. It was more like 720p than 1080i or 1080p.

I dont know about your area.

Regular Contributor

720P is much BETTER than 1080i when it comes to sports, that's why ESPN went with 720P.

P>>>I

now 1080 P is the best of the 3, for sure

Frequent Visitor

Dang, so that means that beIN was degraded even more if ESPN was 720p and looks 10x better.
Frequent Visitor

Comcast's poor service has reached a breaking point.   Access to beinsports is 90% of the reason I'm a Comcast customer.  Inertia and laziness are pretty much the only reasons I haven't found another providing, hoping they'd get their corporate head out of their corporate backside and return these channels to our lineup.

For years, we really didn't have an alternative in our market, for cable TV or for internet, so we had to put up with whatever Comcast dished out.   Now we have option for both. My time as a Comcast customer is *very* short if this issue isn't resolved soon.

Regular Contributor

@cespede wrote:
Dang, so that means that beIN was degraded even more if ESPN was 720p and looks 10x better.

Bein was SD (480i)

Sports pack channels are always SD

Regular Contributor

@slkfjlksdjflaks wrote:

Comcast's poor service has reached a breaking point.   Access to beinsports is 90% of the reason I'm a Comcast customer.  Inertia and laziness are pretty much the only reasons I haven't found another providing, hoping they'd get their corporate head out of their corporate backside and return these channels to our lineup.

For years, we really didn't have an alternative in our market, for cable TV or for internet, so we had to put up with whatever Comcast dished out.   Now we have option for both. My time as a Comcast customer is *very* short if this issue isn't resolved soon.

Maybe you should switch to DirecTV or Uverse then......

Oh wait, beIN decided to withhold their programming from those carriers as well

this is ALL beIN's fault

Frequent Visitor

Yes somehow Dish and Fios and bunch of others chose to keep Bein Sports.  I have no doubt that someway you are associated with Comcast.  It has to be, I understand when someoby blindly defends some political figure or celebrity or an idea, but Comcast? Give me a break.

Frequent Visitor

@billmich88888 wrote:

Bein was SD (480i)

Sports pack channels are always SD

I'll wait until the comcast guy answers this one. 

Again, I am not sure in what area of the country you were, but I had 3 channels for beIN. Two SD, one english, one spanish. One HD mostly in spanish. 

Also, comcast spokeswoman Sena Fitzmaurice said Comcast offers beIN in high-definition in some cable markets and the app itself was not part of the carriage agreement” 

You were probably outside of those markets.

Lucky me.

Regular Contributor

@diskiukas wrote:

Yes somehow Dish and Fios and bunch of others chose to keep Bein Sports.  I have no doubt that someway you are associated with Comcast.  It has to be, I understand when someoby blindly defends some political figure or celebrity or an idea, but Comcast? Give me a break.

then I would say to those people that think this niche channel is the be-all and end-all. Go to those providers or do the sling thing....

this is 1000% beIN's fault. 

their programming in sports simply doesn't move the needle like BTN does (BTN got Comcast to budge)

New Poster

It has nothing to do with who is to blame. Bein was providing value added content we were paying for. Our monthly fee has not gone down, but we're no longer being provided this value added content.  Until Comcast either offers me Bein at a higher price or lowers the cost of the package which has been gutted by the removal of Bein, Comcast is basically stealing money from us.  This dispute has now been going on for two months. Clearly neither side feels any sense of urgency. It is time for Comcast to adjust its pricing to reflect a new, clearly permanent reality -- the international package no longer contains Bein Sports and thus is _worth less_ (and I'd argue is also worthless since none of the SAP English functions work on any of the other channels except Bein) and so if Comcast really cases about our value for money as they claim, they need to lower the price for the package -- or put Bein back in and trust us to be willing to pay what its worth.

Regular Contributor

@jimjohnmarks wrote:

It has nothing to do with who is to blame. Bein was providing value added content we were paying for. Our monthly fee has not gone down, but we're no longer being provided this value added content.  Until Comcast either offers me Bein at a higher price or lowers the cost of the package which has been gutted by the removal of Bein, Comcast is basically stealing money from us.  This dispute has now been going on for two months. Clearly neither side feels any sense of urgency. It is time for Comcast to adjust its pricing to reflect a new, clearly permanent reality -- the international package no longer contains Bein Sports and thus is _worth less_ (and I'd argue is also worthless since none of the SAP English functions work on any of the other channels except Bein) and so if Comcast really cases about our value for money as they claim, they need to lower the price for the package -- or put Bein back in and trust us to be willing to pay what its worth.

what a great FIRST post you made.

Welcome to the forum.

You should go back and read the entire thread because it's was beIN that pulled their channel from both Comcast AND Directv. Comcast would LOVE to have kept the channel at the same terms as before. But beIN took their ball and went home like a spoiled child when they didn't get their way.

Your beef is with them.

As far as lowering the price, You may be a lawyer, but I am not. I haven't heard or seen anything in the contract about when 1 channel gets dropped, your bill goes down 13 CENTS a month. Or if they add a new feature list the smart commercial skip, that the bill would go up. I would love to know where this is in the contract so I can utilize it when I have an issue with Comcast.

If you think the Sports and Entertainment package is worthless, you can always not subscribe to it and your bill will go down several DOLLARS per month. It's quite the a la carte kind of thing.

Thank you and welcome to the forum

Frequent Visitor

@jimjohnmarks wrote:

Great points. I am sure that there are channels that people still enjoy in the sports package and dont want to cancel it, but at the same time if beIN is not there, they should readjust the pricing. IT IS money in their pockets. I dont believe corporations are out there to save consumers money, regardless of which side of this issue you are on.

Frequent Visitor

@billmich88888 wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

You should go back and read the entire thread because it's was beIN that pulled their channel from both Comcast AND Directv. Comcast would LOVE to have kept the channel at the same terms as before. But beIN took their ball and went home like a spoiled child when they didn't get their way.

Your beef is with them.

As far as lowering the price, You may be a lawyer, but I am not. I haven't heard or seen anything in the contract about when 1 channel gets dropped, your bill goes down 13 CENTS a month. Or if they add a new feature list the smart commercial skip, that the bill would go up. I would love to know where this is in the contract so I can utilize it when I have an issue with Comcast.

If you think the Sports and Entertainment package is worthless, you can always not subscribe to it and your bill will go down several DOLLARS per month. It's quite the a la carte kind of thing.

beIN was asking for more money and reasonable exposure, comcast did not want to pay, so no contract was made. Again Liga has increased their broadcasting fees by 30%, who will pay that? The buck has to be passed on to consumers if they want to watch the games. Comcast does not want to offer or increase their sports package price to save us money? give me a break. You think for a minute that they would not increase the sports package by 5 dollars more. Of course they would. If you dont, you are fool or just dont understand business. The main reason is that they want people to watch premier league, which is where their money is now. Again, they want to bleed beIN out of cash to buy Liga next season.

Also, for 13 cents a month savings? I dont know how you came up with that number, but even if that was the case, you make it sound like its only one person. In 2017, comcast had 22.5 million subscribers, even if half had the sports package, at 13 cents, its about 3 mil dollars in their pocket. Not bad for charging 13 cents for an incomplete package.

And for someone that doesnt care about soccer at all, you sure like to beat the "beIN is at fault" issue. Stick to hockey.

Regular Contributor

@cespede wrote:

@billmich88888 wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

Your beef is with them.

beIN was asking for more money and reasonable exposure, comcast did not want to pay, so no contract was made. Again Liga has increased their broadcasting fees by 30%, who will pay that? The buck has to be passed on to consumers if they want to watch the games. Comcast does not want to offer or increase their sports package price to save us money? give me a break. You think for a minute that they would not increase the sports package by 5 dollars more. Of course they would. If you dont, you are fool or just dont understand business. The main reason is that they want people to watch premier league, which is where their money is now. Again, they want to bleed beIN out of cash to buy Liga next season.

Also, for 13 cents a month savings? I dont know how you came up with that number, but even if that was the case, you make it sound like its only one person. In 2017, comcast had 22.5 million subscribers, even if half had the sports package, at 13 cents, its about 3 mil dollars in their pocket. Not bad for charging 13 cents for an incomplete package.

And for someone that doesnt care about soccer at all, you sure like to beat the "beIN is at fault" issue. Stick to hockey.

13 cents per month per subscriber is the rate beIN charges. At most , 10% of Comcast subscribers take the sports pack. This is what is all about, to cram from the 10% a la carte package to the 70-80% digital package.

this is all about beIN cramming themselves into higher priced and wider distribution packages. 

beIN made demands, Comcast said, no, beIN took their ball and went home.

if beIN isn't a sports and entertainment niche channel, then I don't know what is. 

and I like all sports, not sure where the crack about hockey fits in....

Comcast/NBC sports won't have LaLiga next year....ESPN+ will (just MY guess)

Regular Contributor

The defections of sports properties away from beIN are starting:

WTA

https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/status/1046708803343978497

I am sure there will be many many more to come.

No way that C-USA will renew with this bunch once their contract expires in April