Community Forum

beIN SPORTS update 8/1/18

New Poster

Re: beIN SPORTS update 8/1/18

Let me know whjat you find im omoving and i only got xfinity because of BEIN 

Official Employee

@diskiukas wrote:

Why would BeinSport play hard against bigest cable TV provider? There are no benefits for them. Actually they ask reasonable things, to be broadcasted in HD and to be moved to main package for better exposure. Is that unreasonable? No. What is unreasonable is for Comcast to be the only provider that would not broadcast them in HD for so long in 21st century. Comcast is greed driven company, I made huge mistake by switching a year ago after being DirecTV customer for over 15 years.

Our programming team is in tune with this changing situation regarding soccer televsion rights and rightsholders in the US and they talk with our soccer and sports network providers regularly.

For background - generally speaking, there can be  MFN clauses in video programming contracts that can require that all video distributors pay the "lowest" or "best" contracted rate (negotiated by any other distributor), so if this would apply to a large distributor, then all providers would/could possibly benefit, which could result in lower revenue per subscriber for the video provider/network  

So, yes, there can be very tangible benefits or significant financial concessions to a video programmer/network in situations like this.     

Bandwidth management and balance is bit of an art and a science and something that is looked at constantly.

Generally speaking, some reasons certain channels are added (or not added, or removed) can be due to customer interest, contractual terms and obligations, viewership, cost, online and On Demand distribution rights and competitive offerings in the marketplace.

Often the business decisions made are based on a combination of these and many other factors.

The Comcast employees who participate in these forums certainly pass along the collective feedback, interests and concerns to those teams.

Thanks for your feedback. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Dish Network offers BeIN sport included in their 250 package so I am moving to Dish.

New Poster

So, if Comcast is not paying BeIN their fee, it means the cable cost is cheaper for Comcast, and as a service they are not providing to the customer, the cheaper cost should be reflected in my bill, right?

Please, take those few cents that you would credit in my bill, and pay back BeIN sport.

This is ridiculous.

I will be leaving Comcast if this doesn't get fix. Soccer is the most popular sport in the planet, and if I won't be able to watch decent games in my cable service, then better get rid of it.

Regular Contributor

beIN charges .13 cents per month per subscriber (I can post the source for this if you really want to know, but the point is true no matter what the actual amount is)

There are 22 million Comcast subscribers (per Wikipedia)

Let us just assume for round numbers that only 10% of people subscribe to the sports pack (the experts here can correct me if I am wrong)

$.13 times 22,000,000 times 10% (.1) = $286,000 per month payment to beIN

beIN is DEMANDING that they are placed in a wider distributed tier (like digital preferred) - let's say that 80% of people have that level of service. (again, correct me if I am wrong)

Now the monthly payment becomes $.13 times 22,000,000 time 80% (.8)= $2,288,000

As you can see the amount is almost 2.3 million dollars a month,. The difference is over $2,000,000 per month, and we all know that Comcast just doesn't eat that kind of money, it would be passed onto to subscribers in increased fees. AND THIS IS WITHOUT ANY 'RATE INCREASE'

I truly believe that beIN is truthful when they say they aren't looking for a rate increase......

beIN is telling the truth about not raising the RATE, what they aren't telling you is their demands to be crammed into a higher distribution tier (which costs more than sports pack BTW) which will increase their cash flow by a factor of EIGHT.

It would be the same if they stayed in the same tier and demanded a rate increase 8 times more than what they are currently receiving. (Which would be preposterous)

It takes 2 to tango, and while Comcast is the easy target and isn't always 'innocent'. Just consider the above example and see that the fault truly lies with beIN with this particular issue

Frequent Visitor

So according to that logic, every channel that no one watches , but on their main package gets paid 2+ million dollars every month? Even if that math is right, i am sure BeinSports is willing to lower 13 cents per subscriber rate. Its not in their benefit not to.  Too big to fail companies like Comcast is always will be the ones that wins either way, lets not kid ourselves here.

Regular Contributor

i never said that every channel gets  13 cents per month, I only stated that is the charge for beIN

Many many digital tier channel are "throw ins" and bundled together with more popular channels from the same company for nothing or next to nothing.

You want to carry MTV/VH1,?

Then you also have to carry the 3 other MTV channels like MTV classic and MTV 2 and tres. (and their subscriber cost may be a penny, or even ZERO)

BeIN is the lead dog in this situation, not one of the latched on throw-in's.....

Frequent Visitor

I understand.  However in what world Bein Sports can demand from Comcast? One is the bigest cable provider , another is niche channel that have their hardcore followers, but lets be honest, most subscribers dont know anything about it. I mean , I assume that they want better deal that they had, but no way you can make me believe that they have leverage to play hard ball with Comcast. In the end , bein Sports will cave in, and most likely we will still have it in SD, because they cannot afford not to be on ComCast.

Regular Contributor

like most standoffs there is the nail and there is the hammer.

guess which one beIN is?

beIN gets to make demands when they have programming leverage. and La Liga and motoGP and 10 CUSA football games just don't move the needle.

If they were the official home of EPL and MLS and maybe some Big 12 football games, then things would be different

13 years ago a little know network called the "outdoor life network" scored a coup and got rights to NHL (and changed its name to Versus) - NHL content moves the needle and this little digital tier network obtained leverage, and not NBC sports is a major player

In another sports standoff, the Big 10 network definitely has leverage. BTN definitely moves the needle, (to an extent that beIN does not) and with so many comcast subscribers in Big 10 states and with football coming up, I wouldnt be suprised if Comcast caved.

Contributor

billmich88888

Your whole argumentation implies your assumption that the initial deal was fair in the first place and that all that extra money Bein wants now is unjustied. 

That would be like me pressuming that when I got my first Comcast deal I was paying the fair price and when Comcast raised my rate 300% after a year, they were just beeing unreasonably greedy.

I know Comcast doesn't want to pay more, I don't want to pay Comcast more when my deals end, but I understand how initial deals work.  Bein came out of nothing, after GolTV, and they were very "generous" in the deal they gave Comcast and other cable companies.  Now, it's time for Comcast to stop taking advantage of them.  Because, that is exactly what Comcast does to its customers, after their deals end.  Be  reasonable, pay more.  If ALL other cable companies can do it, why not Comcast?

New Poster

So, $0.13 per user. But BeIN Sports want 8x.

Go ahead and charge me a whole $1.04 per month to keep the channel. Or charge everybody else $0.13 per month.

Do you really think there is any difference there for the individuals?

Yes, BeIN wants a huge increase, and yes, Comcast doesn't want to give it to them. Who is losing here, Comcast customers, and with cable customers going down year after year, Comcast could be the big loser here.

Frequent Visitor

Point I was trying to make is  that I dont believe that bein Sports asking unreasonably, they know they dont have that big of leverage and what they asking worked with everyone else. Big company as Comcast could end this right now , if they wanted to , but as usual thing with money hungry big corporation , they will try to squeeze as much as they can , thinking only about shareholder pockets and not worrying much about few unhappy customers.

Regular Contributor

Not to mention the channel was not in HD to begin with! 

New Poster

When we signed up 2 years ago, some of our favorite channels from our 20 years with Echostar/Dish were unavailable. Thinking we had solved the issue buy adding the sports package, we have been somewhat satisfied since. We would gladly trade all the sports we don't follow for a return to all the soccer and tennis programming which made us have to fork out another $10. If we have to go a la carte with streaming, we will probably reduce our Comcast TV packages accordingly. Please pass that up the chain of command.

New Poster

I will cut the cable if this is not resolved pronto. One course of action is to get rid of your plethora of second-rate Spanish channels and put the money into Bein HD. Take a hint from Sling and offer channels that people actually watch. Also, publish the specific facts beyond theses negotiations so the customer can decide who’s to blame. 

New Poster

BEIN sports

BEIN Sports was the reason why we joined comcast 

any updates on what the agreement be solved

We called customer service   we were told we can stream it online and was not true

we want to get BEin sports asap

New Poster

THE TRUE FACTS

1. beIN Sports complaint against  Comcast Mar 20, 2018

"International soccer programmer beIN Sports has filed a program carriage complaint against Comcast, alleging the cable giant gives unfair advantage to its own sports channels.

Stop us if you’ve heard this complaint before (this one was first reported on by Multichannel News): beIN alleges that Comcast puts NBC Sports and NBC Universo in less expensive, more widely distributed tiers. 

“The Comcast offer discriminates against the programming of beIN and in favor of NBC Sports’ and NBC Universo’s similarly situated sports programming,” the filing said. "

2. beIN Sports says tgat they dont want  to  increase prices. Comcast says the contrary.

3. Comcast does not want to reveal the increase percentage that beIN Sports is looking for.

4. Comcast drop beIN Sports.

After the facts aferomentioned, all smell as a Comcast retaliation against beIN Sports

New Poster

You guys need to find a way to get an agreement with bein sports other wise I will drop comcast in order to comply my need. Not even FS2.
New Poster

BEIN Sports Fail

OK guys, seriously. Get the deal done, or just tell us that it isn't going to happen at all. I need this channel and don't want to have to switch providers or also sign up for sling or fubo, unless it's a must. And if I do either of those, I am going to cut the cord, because this is ridiculous. Having to watch it in SD was bad enough, but then for this to happen...while every other provider has the channel...frankly it is beyond aggravating. Giving you one week. I will miss this weekend's game. But after that...I'm done.

New Poster

Re: BEIN sports

Same. Dumpin Comcast if I can't watch Barca matches
New Poster

If Comcast can't reach an agreement with BeIn, try to work with another broadcasting channel who will broadcast Spanish and other European soccer.  Can't just hang your viewers up to dry.  I sign up with Comcast because of the sports channels.  Comcast is charging us left and right.  We get FS1 included but have to pay extra for FS2.  Now we lose BeIn.    Ch. 1227 was not HD either like 1228.   Being cheated on that too.   Now tell us to pay for Sling.  So losing BeIn is actually a gain for Comcast and a loss and inconvenience for us.  Comcast should at least deduct $10 for us in the monthly fee for us to sign up for Sling. 

New Poster

I am not an X1 customer, how am I supposed to watch European soccer?

Prices always go up, so is our Comcast bill.  Comcast can't expect BeIn prices stay the same.  Comcast is going to lose a lot of  sport viewers by not delivering the services they want.

New Poster

BeIn Sport was a huge positive differentiator for XFinity.

Clearly these days, the digital landscape being what it is, it's almost that we don't need to subscribe to any TV provider anymore.

XFinity is not cheap. The bundles, or what not, help to hide things sometimes and make any real comparison possible. But make not mistake, we pay premium price for XFinity. You guys like to talk about the premium experience, I'd like that to be linked with what I pay.

Please don't make me stream for things you don't offer. I understand the negotiations or any other context but I want my so-called 'Premium Experience' to be exactly the same as it was few weeks ago. I pay the same price, so I'm expecting the same thing. Otherwise I loose.

I hear you about this new context or your need of negotiating with BeIn Sport and I guess we are all behind you on this. BeIn need to understand that you represent a lot of people who will access their channel and view their advertisings. BUT at this point I lost a very important channel, maybe one why I was accepted to already pay an expensive price.

So please bring back BeIn Sport or I will simply have to reconsider how I watch TV. I've been a long time loyal Comcast XFinity customer. But good things could come an end as well.

Thank you

Official Employee

@vilerandre wrote:

THE TRUE FACTS

1. beIN Sports complaint against  Comcast Mar 20, 2018

"International soccer programmer beIN Sports has filed a program carriage complaint against Comcast, alleging the cable giant gives unfair advantage to its own sports channels.

Stop us if you’ve heard this complaint before (this one was first reported on by Multichannel News): beIN alleges that Comcast puts NBC Sports and NBC Universo in less expensive, more widely distributed tiers. 

“The Comcast offer discriminates against the programming of beIN and in favor of NBC Sports’ and NBC Universo’s similarly situated sports programming,” the filing said. "

2. beIN Sports says tgat they dont want  to  increase prices. Comcast says the contrary.

3. Comcast does not want to reveal the increase percentage that beIN Sports is looking for.

4. Comcast drop beIN Sports.

After the facts aferomentioned, all smell as a Comcast retaliation against beIN Sports

The referenced FCC complaint was recently dismissed, some details below including the entire FCC Memorandum Opinion and Order at the first link.

https://www.fcc.gov/document/bureau-dismisses-beins-carriage-complaint-against-comcast

http://awfulannouncing.com/soccer/fcc-dismisses-bein-claim-against-comcast-says-bein-didnt-prove-unf...

We are hopeful that beIN will decide to negotiate in good faith, come to a fair agreement immediately on reasonable terms, and return its programming to our Xfinity TV customers.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@Mui wrote:

I am not an X1 customer, how am I supposed to watch European soccer?

Prices always go up, so is our Comcast bill.  Comcast can't expect BeIn prices stay the same.  Comcast is going to lose a lot of  sport viewers by not delivering the services they want.

We can get you X1 rather easily with a box swap at a local Xfinity store, a self- install kit mailed to you or a technician visit. The first two options are at no additional cost. 

Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

We are hopeful that beIN will decide to negotiate in good faith, come to a fair agreement immediately on reasonable terms, and return its programming to our Xfinity TV customers.

You keep ignoring the elephant in the room. Every other cable company has managed to get a deal with Bein.  Except YOU.   COMCAST is the one that needs to negotiate in good faith.  That is what is called evidence, not cheap talk.

New Poster

So Basically you are asking me to pay a different cable provider with sling tv for 1 channel what a bad solution you just raised prices I want to be credited for bein sports not being on my channel lineup

Official Employee

@Cooocoo wrote:

So Basically you are asking me to pay a different cable provider with sling tv for 1 channel what a bad solution you just raised prices I want to be credited for bein sports not being on my channel lineup

For our X1 customers, beIN SPORTS & beIN en Español can be viewed on X1 by subscribing to Sling’s World Sports package (currently 11 channels). That package is $10/month and is billed directly to your credit card.

Current offer is a 7 day free trial.

Find this by saying "Sling World Sports" into the Xfinity voice remote control... or on the X1 box, press the Xfinity button, go to Apps, then select Video, then select Sling. Then select World Sports from the drop down in the upper right and follow the on-screen instructions.

The above, while not ideal, is certainly "an" option for some customers while the current situation is being negotiated/discussed between the two parties. It is an option that has been on X1 since April. 

Frequent Visitor

I will be leaving Comcast sep first. That’s when Dish comes to install the equipment. Bye Comcast.

Regular Contributor

the sling solution is a wonderful solution 

people who want it can pay "a la carte" they can watch it on their X1 box, and Comcast doesnt have to write an overly big monster check to a channel with very few viewers (the crowd on this thread notwithstanding)

I plan on doing this for the conference USA football games this fall

New Poster

I'm sure the can afford it when they charge every one of their customers broadcasting fees and sports fees.  I'm so sick of these monopolies.

New Poster

Re: Now NO bein sports at all???

That's because they're the same monopoly using 2 different names to pretend they're not a monopoly.  Where's the free market to save consumers money thru competiton when we need it?

Frequent Visitor

So, Comcast's response is to have us pay another $10/month for another package to replace a channel that we had, but lost.  Did you do the math on the net result of this before you posted it as the accepted solution?  $10 dollars more per month to get the channel we lost, plus yet another set of channels that we don't care about.  All you are offering is to squeeze 10 bucks more out of us.  Now I would have 205 channels that I'll trade you for BeIN Sport.  No thank you!

Frequent Visitor

And because of this  they lose 190.00 a month with my move to an other provider. Done.

Regular Contributor

Xfinity has no stake in sling.

Sling is an offshoot of Dish Network

Frequent Visitor

How about a reduction in price to the sports package ?????

Frequent Visitor

Verizon FIOS had ther same issue.  BEIN Sports was off air for about a week and then they came to an agreement

Official Employee

@jhcassidy wrote:

So, Comcast's response is to have us pay another $10/month for another package to replace a channel that we had, but lost.  Did you do the math on the net result of this before you posted it as the accepted solution?  $10 dollars more per month to get the channel we lost, plus yet another set of channels that we don't care about.  All you are offering is to squeeze 10 bucks more out of us.  Now I would have 205 channels that I'll trade you for BeIN Sport.  No thank you!

Apologies. Not intended to be the best solution, but certainly "an" option (out of a few) for fans to see the programming they are looking for.

Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:
Not intended to be the best solution, but certainly "an" option (out of a few) for fans to see the programming they are looking for.

Why are Comcast customers the ONLY ONES who need "options"?  Why has Comcast not been able to do what ALL OTHER cable companies were able to do FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS?!?

Regular Contributor

because Comcast may have been the 1st one to sign this channel and therefore the 1st one to have it up for renewal with these 'tactics'

comcast wants the status quo, its beIN that wants to cram itself into a higher priced tier

Regular Contributor

according to beIN's own wiki page:

**********beIN SPORTS terminated their agreement with Comcast on August 1, 2018.***********

so it was beIN that made this decision, not comcast

Contributor

@billmich88888 wrote:

because Comcast may have been the 1st one to sign this channel and therefore the 1st one to have it up for renewal with these 'tactics'

comcast wants the status quo, its beIN that wants to cram itself into a higher priced tier

@billmich88888 wrote:

As usual you don't know what you are talking about.  Comcast was one of the last, if not the last to sign for Bein.  I imagine you can search the thread from back then, in this forum, and see how much we had to fight for Comcast to get rid of the useless GolTV channel, who lost La Liga rights, and get this instead.

I hope you are getting paid for this lame defending of Comcast, because if you are doing this for free...

Regular Contributor

actually, go to the bein wiki page

directv was 1st and then dish (1 day apart from each other) and Comcast came in 3rd, about a month later

everyone else came AFTER....

every single provider that was a cable company or U-verse....or fios

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeIN_Sports_United_States

beIN SPORTS USA launched on the satellite provider DirecTV on August 15, 2012, coinciding with the start of the European soccer leagues 2012–13 season. beIN launched on the satellite Dish network the following day before being added to cable giant Comcast on September 6, 2012.

New Poster

VERY DISAPPOINTING: Dropping BeinSports

BeinSport is probably the only reason why we still have Xfinity.  I hope you reconsider your decision.

By the way, do realize that if Netflix creates partnership with sport content providers like BeinSports, Xfinity is very likely to go out of business?

A very disappointed customer!

Frequent Visitor

Re: VERY DISAPPOINTING: Dropping BeinSports

I hope they do

Frequent Visitor

Also Verizon also had an issue with BEIN Sports and dropped the channel for a week and then decided to keep their customers happy and came to an agreement with BEIN Sports and eversince its been back on

Regular Contributor

verizon wanted to move the channel from the high price digital tier to lower priced sports pack

verizon caved in, comcast will not

Smiley Happy

New Poster

What in the world is Comcast doing. This is so sad. All you care about is filling you pocket up. You do not care with the rest of you customers. This is it for me. You don't understand that missing one weekend of La Liga is bigger than you taking away all the channels you have now. Take all the channels you have in your listing and give me BeIn, so I can watch LaLiga. Since Ii know that is not going to happen: Good bye comcast, Welcome Dish!

New Poster

Comcast is not doing that. They dont care

New Poster

Re: VERY DISAPPOINTING: Dropping BeinSports

Same here. I am chatting with them at this time to cancel my service. A lot of run around!