Community Forum

ad injection over tv

Frequent Visitor

ad injection over tv

My elderly mother-in-law tells me she has this problem, which I have never seen.  She had Xfinity digital service.  She will be watching a show, like a movie on Turner Classic, and suddenly the screen will gray out and display an advertisement for various things like a particular sports channel or event.  It displays for a time and either goes away or she has to use the remote to dismiss it.  At first I suspected the X1 screen saver feature, but that is not it.  I the suspected it was her smart tv manufacturer injecting ads, a problem I have read about.  I disconnected the tv from internet access but she still gets this behavior.  It sort of sounds like 3rd party ad injection. I am curious if other have seen this and found a solution.  Thanks in advance.

Expert

Re: ad injection over tv

@MDGeology wrote:

My elderly mother-in-law tells me she has this problem, which I have never seen.  She had Xfinity digital service.  She will be watching a show, like a movie on Turner Classic, and suddenly the screen will gray out and display an advertisement for various things like a particular sports channel or event.  It displays for a time and either goes away or she has to use the remote to dismiss it.  At first I suspected the X1 screen saver feature, but that is not it.  I the suspected it was her smart tv manufacturer injecting ads, a problem I have read about.  I disconnected the tv from internet access but she still gets this behavior.  It sort of sounds like 3rd party ad injection. I am curious if other have seen this and found a solution.  Thanks in advance.

is she using a streaming device or a set top box? model number?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

She has a Samsung smart tv, disconnected from LAN/wireless and an Xfinity X1 set top box with voice remote. There are no other devices connected to the tv.

Expert

was she watching the numbered channel or an on-demand program?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

She does not know how to use on-demand and most of the remote controller features.  She watches numbered channels, mostly Turner Classics, PBS, Fox News, religious channels,MyTV.  She does not have premium movie channels and would never watch sports channels, shopping channels, pay-per-view and 90% of the Comcast lineup.  The injected ads occur randomly, perhaps twice a day, at no particular time.

Expert

@MDGeology wrote:

She does not know how to use on-demand and most of the remote controller features.  She watches numbered channels, mostly Turner Classics, PBS, Fox News, religious channels,MyTV.  She does not have premium movie channels and would never watch sports channels, shopping channels, pay-per-view and 90% of the Comcast lineup.  The injected ads occur randomly, perhaps twice a day, at no particular time.

watched all afternoon on an android no commercials. perhaps a browser malware is just overriding the video?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your help Rustyben.  I disconnected her tv from her wired and wireless LAN, and changed the Xfinity modem password for wireless so the the tv could not connect to the internet.  If there were malwae on the smart tv, it probably could not connect to the internet without access.  But I guess it could still serve up bad pages. I have not found anything on the web about this kind of malware. 

Valued Contributor

@MDGeology wrote:

If she has a Samsung smart TV, the ads are coming from the TV. According to this article they can be disabled:

https://www.geek.com/news/samung-smart-tvs-are-injecting-unwanted-ads-into-movies-1615527/

The good news here is that, like the “eavesdropping” feature on their smart TVs, these ads can be disabled. You’re not looking for some obvious setting about ads, however. What you need to shut down is the Yahoo Broadcast Interactivity. That’s certainly a fun label to put on ad injection.

Open Smart Hub and head to the Terms & Policy section. Pull up the Yahoo Privacy Policy and then put a bullet in it to make the ads stop. On other Samsung TVs, you may need to kill the SyncPlus app, too.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the tip.  I will investigate this further.  The data must get injected into the upstream viseo signal since all internet data (both LAN and wireless) are disable and disconnected for this TV.  I hope it solves the problem!

Silver Problem Solver

It's likely the TV has stored several ads and will use those since it doesn't have an Internet connection. You could even see if you can do a factory reset on the TV, and never connect it to the Internet at all.