Community Forum

Xfinity Watchathon 2018

New Poster

Re: During 2018 Watchathon, my tv says HBO requires subscription...

I had tried to access HBO through On Demand with the same result-the channel asking for a subscription. HBO did work on my phone with no problem. Finally, I went into Xfinity chat. Mehul tried troubleshooting and a reset, twice, then ended the chat before the problem was resolved. I tried again, and sometime after midnight John Eric told me that HBO will only work through the app, not my TV, unless I paid $15. for the subscription. In other words, free is not free. And, since recordings can no longer be set from the app, HBO shows can not even be recorded for future viewing. I give this iteration of Watchathon a big downvote. 

Administrator

I had tried to access HBO through On Demand with the same result-the channel asking for a subscription. HBO did work on my phone with no problem. Finally, I went into Xfinity chat. Mehul tried troubleshooting and a reset, twice, then ended the chat before the problem was resolved. I tried again, and sometime after midnight John Eric told me that HBO will only work through the app, not my TV, unless I paid $15. for the subscription. In other words, free is not free. And, since recordings can no longer be set from the app, HBO shows can not even be recorded for future viewing. I give this iteration of Watchathon a big downvote. 

You mention recording, are you trying to watch the live HBO feed or video on demand HBO content? With Watchathon you won't get access to the hbo channel on your TV, just on demand programming. Are you getting the same error when you select HBO content from the on demand menu? 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-on-demand-menu-find-tv-programs-and-movies 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Administrator

Re: Watchathon-Showtime

@Pbank,

Select Showtime series will be available for the first 3 days of Watchathon (April 16-18, 2018) on TV boxes only. All Showtime series will be available during the last 4 days (April 19-22, 2018) across TV boxes, online with the XFINITY Stream portal and on mobile devices with the XFINITY Stream app.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Administrator

@FickleKitty

I apologize for the inconvenience, we can verify that HBO is available On Demand and via Xfinity Stream. Please note, some content was not made available for Watchathon. 

Can I ask what box you have that you are experiencing difficulty with and what content were you attempting to view? 

Additionally, unless you subscribe to a channel and they are running it at a later time, you will not be able to record any Watchathon only content.

New Poster

Yes, I got the same message when trying to access On Demand. As an additional point, I was trying to see if I could record my phone app HBO content to be watched on TV, but the app no longer supports the record function. I have spent way too much time on this situaton in order to just watch a couple of half-hour shows and a movie. If you can figure this out maybe your response will aid someone else.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Watchathon 2018

the Xfinity  Stream APP is ACCESSED through my ROKU device which is  attached to my TV.  I have used the Xfinity  app this way before.  It seems that Xfinity may have disallowed a "technical-feature" so that Watchthon can't be viewed via TV.
I can view Watchathon on my Desktop PC and my tablet.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Recording in free preview

No. Watchathon is OnDemand-based, and you cannot record OnDemand material, at least on a Comcast DVR.

Silver Problem Solver

I don't know about X1, but with non-X1, you probably have to go through the Watchathon menu entry to access the free content. You cannot record anything OnDemand. The regular linear channels are not part of Watchathon. You must go through OnDemand.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastJessie wrote:

@Pbank,

Select Showtime series will be available for the first 3 days of Watchathon (April 16-18, 2018) on TV boxes only. All Showtime series will be available during the last 4 days (April 19-22, 2018) across TV boxes, online with the XFINITY Stream portal and on mobile devices with the XFINITY Stream app.

But no movies, no comedy, nothing else on the Showtime Watchathon.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">

New Poster

For some reason (& unlike is the case with HBO, CINEMAX, STARZ, etc) Showtime is only offering full network availability for half the week:  {Comcast noted that the full Showtime catalog will be available on Comcast's VOD platform and the Xfinity Stream app and portal for a portion of the Watchathon (April 19-22).}  *I haven't yet tried to watch a movie on HBO, CINEMAX, or STARZ, but it does look like I will be able to do so RIGHT NOW (4/17/18) FOR FREE on any of these 3 premium channels, so I'm not sure why some other people are seeing "subscribers only" and complaining about this out here?

Regular Contributor

@Lora2 wrote:

For some reason (& unlike is the case with HBO, CINEMAX, STARZ, etc) Showtime is only offering full network availability for half the week:  {Comcast noted that the full Showtime catalog will be available on Comcast's VOD platform and the Xfinity Stream app and portal for a portion of the Watchathon (April 19-22).}  *I haven't yet tried to watch a movie on HBO, CINEMAX, or STARZ, but it does look like I will be able to do so RIGHT NOW (4/17/18) FOR FREE on any of these 3 premium channels, so I'm not sure why some other people are seeing "subscribers only" and complaining about this out here?

I just checked Cinemax; both series and movie content seem to be available.  I already subscribe to HBO and STARZ.  Looking at "Free HBO & More", then clicking on either HBO or STARZ, I see full content -- but don't know if that's because I already subscribe or if that's the Watchathon thing.  Still getting only eight series titles on Showtime, nothing else, but it's only the 18th, so I'll have to check it again tomorrow (your posting says April 19-22).  And I have no idea what the "Disney Story Central" is for -- everything there seems to be just things under 10 minutes long.  Thank you for posting.. 

Official Employee

Hi Pbank, I do show that "ShowTime" is participating in Watchathon week but it is up to the networks to post any content free on demand. Please provide the show name and season(s) that are listed as paid and I can look into it for you on my end. 

Regular Contributor

@Lora2 wrote:

Showtime is only offering full network availability for half the week:  {Comcast noted that the full Showtime catalog will be available on Comcast's VOD platform and the Xfinity Stream app and portal for a portion of the Watchathon (April 19-22).}  

Thank you for posting that info, you were right! I'm watching the regular Showtime lineup now.

New Poster

Re: netlix not available on Watchathon

Netflix doesn't work for me either. I do have an older style box, but I thought I would be able to access it online. Nothing. Big dud for me this year, it was the only thing I was looking forward to checking out this time around.

Highlighted
Administrator

Re: netlix not available on Watchathon

@p__,

We apologize for the confusion. Per the main post on this thread: "select Netflix Originals will be available to X1 subscribers on their X1 TV box from April 16-22, 2018, for FREE"

If you are an X1 customer you should have access to that Netflix content unless you have a RNG150 television box. If you would like to do a swap for a compatible box, you can take your current one down to a local Xfinity store (find the nearest location here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/service-center-locations/) and make that swap free of charge. 

New Poster

@ComcastFrancisc
Watchathon is a Video On Demand promotion, you will not get any extra channels. 

Ah! this is not very clear from the promotion. It says I can watch it on my TV. Obviously I can't! May want to note in the future versions of the promotion what equipment is required to watch on the TV.

Thanks for the clarification.

Frequent Visitor

I didn't pay much attention to this until today, with it ending tomorrow (of course).  I can't watch anything on my tv, I have to upgrade to HD.  I don't have an HD TV.  So if I want to watch anything I can only watch it sitting at my PC.  What am I paying for cable TV for if I can't use it for things like this?

Administrator

2018 Watchathon has ended at this time and this topic is going to be locked.