Community Forum

Why is my local CW not in HD.

New Poster

Why is my local CW not in HD.

The CW is a broadcast network and has been around for 11 years Why is it that it is not available in HD even though the channel does have a HD feed

Problem Solver

Re: Why is my local CW not in HD.

What market is this?

There might not be an agreement to carry it, but very few markets lack a CW affiliate in HD, and in the vast majority of those, Comcast carries it.
New Poster

It's the Tri Cities Tennessee market

Official Employee

bravesmark wrote:

The CW is a broadcast network and has been around for 11 years Why is it that it is not available in HD even though the channel does have a HD feed

Apologies. I am checking with our Tennessee team to better understand this. I do see the CW programming in this area is broadcast over the air from WCYB on their dot 2 multicast channel.   

Official Employee

bravesmark wrote:

I received some additional information on this:

WCYB is an NBC affiliate in your area (the Tri-Cities DMA).

WCYB CW is a multicast (secondary channel or also referred to as  DT2) of WCYB and not the primary affiliate. We are only required to carry multicasts (DT2, DT3, DT4) in whatever format the station is sending to us. If the station is sending the dot 2 multicast signal out in HD, then we are only required to carry the multicast in HD and that means our non-HD customers would lose CW programming.

New Poster

Yeah I live in Blount County in Tennessee and I lost CW HD as well. They added BBC America in HD finally. I’ve been asking for that for years. But according to the Comcast rep I spoke with tonight, they just stopped carrying CW HD in our area. No other explanation was given. She said it may return, but she seemed to have little explanation as to why I had it all these years and now it is gone.
New Poster

I think since the CW is considered a basic network they should have to offer it in HD if not from the tri cities from another area. It's awful that I have to wait until the next season on Netflix to watch the shows on CW and they wonder why people are cord cutting. I know that the CW is in HD on demand but there is no way to fast forward through commercials. I will more than likely be cutting the cord next year when my contract is out. In fact I think that in this time and day we should be able to get HD on any channel that broadcasts in HD.

New Poster

For me it's the Monterey California community, home to 100,000+ citizens. 

For some reason Comcast and the CW are at odds, of all things? Until an unexpected few thousand $ windfall from a 401K option from an old job (I'm generally destitute, being on disability, and from birth and upbringing), I was content with my SD 25" CRT 50-lbs 20-year old Magnavox, and god bless that TV (seriously, my buddy).

But now after being amazed by HD nature shows and food cooking shows and DVDs...I as a person with a new 50 inch or something TV converted my trusty new remote from the former of SD to the same all new HD, except...wait...well no HD channel available for the CW. 

Either I'm a moron who can't find an HD equivalent channel, or the Comcast and the CW or both are being troublesome jerks. And the CW is by far the most successful current DC/Warner Bros. success. Supergirl, Flash, Arrow, Legends, and most impressive of all the current Black Lightning which is Emmy-worthy. 

---Baffled in Monterey, yours baffled...Maybe I should instead be a CEO or something. Nonsensical. 

P.S. Maybe a similar example would be the "ION" channel. Previously ch. 16 here. Showing Criminal Minds and Flashpoint repeats and some movies...no big deal but a good channel to keep on the favorites...After my switch to HD it's now 711. As the HD upgrade. Little "ION" channel whatever that is and who is behind that can go HD here....

Yet the CW nowhere to be found, in Monterey with 100,000 potential Comcast customers, and similar targets for the current, and relatively cheap, DC characters domination of the cable TV airwaves. Yet the DC people can't ensure it's in hi-def everywhere. Must be shorting stock on some long, long con. Or just idiots.

Silver Problem Solver

It looks like your CW is from KION? If so, then it is only broadcast in 480i:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KION-TV#Digital_channels

Official Employee

@afeeeeeerrswswe wrote:

For me it's the Monterey California community, home to 100,000+ citizens. 

For some reason Comcast and the CW are at odds, of all things? Until an unexpected few thousand $ windfall from a 401K option from an old job (I'm generally destitute, being on disability, and from birth and upbringing), I was content with my SD 25" CRT 50-lbs 20-year old Magnavox, and god bless that TV (seriously, my buddy).

But now after being amazed by HD nature shows and food cooking shows and DVDs...I as a person with a new 50 inch or something TV converted my trusty new remote from the former of SD to the same all new HD, except...wait...well no HD channel available for the CW. 

Either I'm a moron who can't find an HD equivalent channel, or the Comcast and the CW or both are being troublesome jerks. And the CW is by far the most successful current DC/Warner Bros. success. Supergirl, Flash, Arrow, Legends, and most impressive of all the current Black Lightning which is Emmy-worthy. 

---Baffled in Monterey, yours baffled...Maybe I should instead be a CEO or something. Nonsensical. 

P.S. Maybe a similar example would be the "ION" channel. Previously ch. 16 here. Showing Criminal Minds and Flashpoint repeats and some movies...no big deal but a good channel to keep on the favorites...After my switch to HD it's now 711. As the HD upgrade. Little "ION" channel whatever that is and who is behind that can go HD here....

Yet the CW nowhere to be found, in Monterey with 100,000 potential Comcast customers, and similar targets for the current, and relatively cheap, DC characters domination of the cable TV airwaves. Yet the DC people can't ensure it's in hi-def everywhere. Must be shorting stock on some long, long con. Or just idiots.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. The local CW station for your area of Califiornia is a subchannel of KION -TV broadcasting over the air at channel 46.2. 

From what I can tell, KION-TV does not currently broadcast or deliver CW progamming in HD (only a SD 480i signal).  
(source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KION-TV)

To be clear, this situation is not a result of a disagreement or contactual issue between Comcast and CW nationally. KION is not sending or delivering an HD signal of CW programming to Comcast or over the air.  

You may be able to obtain additional information from KION directly, their contact information is below: 

KION TV
1550 Moffett Street
Salinas, CA 93905
Telephone: 831.784.6300

Channel 711 in your area is ION TV from local station KKPX-TV.

ION TV is KKPX's  primary affiliation and primary broadcast signal which we do offer in both SD and HD as provided by FCC rules.   KKPX is sending their programming out in 720p HD.