Community Forum

Why does Comcast keep messing with our channels? Lafayette/West Lafayette Indiana

New Poster

Why does Comcast keep messing with our channels? Lafayette/West Lafayette Indiana

Why do they keep taking our Indianapolis stations away?   They have taken channel 4 and channel 59 (11) and channel 7 (wish tv) away and now wthr 12 and wrtv 6 along with antenna tv me tv cozi tv and laff tv.  I mean this is ridiculous we pay a ton of money for our tv to keep losing our channels and this keeps going on when many work and visit Indianapolis on a regular basis since we are an hour away. So please give us our channels back and stop treating us like we don’t care about Indy or our old tv shows because we do.  

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Why does Comcast keep messing with our channels? Lafayette/West Lafayette Indiana

Broadcast channels have "Designated Market Area" (DMA) assigned to them. If you are outside of a station's DMA, a local station can force cable/satellite services to drop the competition. That is probably what is happening.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Why does Comcast keep messing with our channels? Lafayette/West Lafayette Indiana

But does being in a particular DMA require by law that only local stations are to be carried? Or is it simply a Comcast decision to no longer carry Indy stations to save a buck since the locals are also affliates of NBC, ABC, etc. I think we already know the answer....
Silver Problem Solver

It is a law. If a local station complains, Comcast or similar MUST drop the competing station.